AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: problems with Rena XP4

Default problems with Rena XP4

Any body here having problems with their rena xp canisters? I cleaned it last night and Im having problems getting it run like normal. I'm hearing some noise from the motor. I find it hard to prime the water won't go up the tubes. Any advice on how to prime Rena's?
    I don't know want I'm doing wrong, maybe my tubes are loop a little bit? thats why the water is having difficulty going up?

Default Re: problems with Rena XP4

Sounds like air is still trapped in the impeller housing. Fill the canister while disconected so that you pretty much only have to fill the intake hose. Try to keep as much air out of the intake hose otherwise the canister will fill with air again.
    When science and magic collide, the story begins.

I agree almost certainly air.

Quote Originally Posted by discustion View Post
    Any body here having problems with their rena xp canisters? I cleaned it last night and Im having problems getting it run like normal. I'm hearing some noise from the motor. I find it hard to prime the water won't go up the tubes. Any advice on how to prime Rena's?
    I don't know want I'm doing wrong, maybe my tubes are loop a little bit? thats why the water is having difficulty going up?
    I don't understand, why would the water go UP the tubes when priming? I have the XP3 and the XP1 and when I disconnect the hoses and remove the canister for cleaning, the water stays in the hoses. When I reconnect the hoses to the canister, the water flows DOWN the hoses into the canister and I wait the 2 minutes recommended before starting the filter. Sometimes I do get some gurgling noise, (air), when I restart the filter but its gone by the next day, other times its perfectly quiet. I've got mine for over 2 years now.
    Connie
    So Many Fish... So Little Tank Space

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by poconogal View Post
    I don't understand, why would the water go UP the tubes when priming? I have the XP3 and the XP1 and when I disconnect the hoses and remove the canister for cleaning, the water stays in the hoses. When I reconnect the hoses to the canister, the water flows DOWN the hoses into the canister and I wait the 2 minutes recommended before starting the filter. Sometimes I do get some gurgling noise, (air), when I restart the filter but its gone by the next day, other times its perfectly quiet. I've got mine for over 2 years now.

Like Connie, When I disconnect the hoses to remove the cannister filter, the hoses stay full of water so when you reconnect them to the cannister filter, you wait for the cannister to refill (by itself) with water, once full, then plug the filter in and it runs smoothly. If you have emptied the water in the hoses for some reason, you'll want to fill up the cannister with water (something you don't normally do) reconnect the hoses, then use the funnel that came with the Rena filter to fill the hoses back up with water. This may take some time but once they are full you should be able to plug it and it should run fine.

Anna

I did what you guys said but there's still bubbles coming out of the hose. When I feel the intake with water it run's then all of sudden it stops. Getting frustrated with this filter.

filled it up with water and there's still air running on both hoses. making some weird noise.

Registered Member

Okay, when you fill the hoses up, are you putting the cap back on the hose tight before starting up the filter? Are you filling up the hose completely? Is your cannister full of water to the top before you plug the filter in? Did you double check to see that the impeller housing unit is all fit together properly?

Anna

I did it all. Maybe I'll just keep trying. I want make sure if I did put my hosses right. Blue in Blue and Grey in grey right? Cap is tight maybe there's a leak there? Thank you for all you guys help.

check and see if the blue disk came undone from the impellor or loose and vibrating. happens to me all the time. especially if the poewr went out and it starts up again. my blue disc rattles loose..and the impellor falls down inside. i have 4 xp3s and they all do it. so open it ..check the impellor and the disc is tight add water right up to the top of the canister then put the lid on and plug in.

Real Name
    Ricardo

did you happen to move the hoses at all? the other day i slightly moved my xp3 and i guess the hose was a little horizontal and it started gurgling for lack of a better word

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

I run in to this with my xp3 periodically, during reprime not all the air is evacuated. Usually what I do is start and restop the filter a few times to clear. I turn it off and watch the air flow back up the output tube when it is full I turn the thing back on a few times of this you are clear. Also it only takes a very small seal break to allow the intake side to suck air.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by discustion View Post
    I did it all. Maybe I'll just keep trying. I want make sure if I did put my hosses right. Blue in Blue and Grey in grey right? Cap is tight maybe there's a leak there? Thank you for all you guys help.
    I've never had this problem with my XP4. I wonder if there is a leak in the seal somewhere? I hope you were able to figure it out. Let us know when you can.

Anna

finally I got it to run last night after so many hours I spent trying everything. But the only thing is the motor is making some noises. Water flows and does a quick splash coming out of the spraybar. Is it normal? is it going to go away?
    Last edited by Mello; 01-21-2009 at 12:47 PM.

I just remembered that when I first set up my XP3 I had a problem, it was making a lot of noise and not running right. I had to remove and dismantle it and I found that the impeller was not seated 100% correctly. Have you checked to see if anything is in the impeller well or that it is all the way down and seated right?

Or maybe your impeller is broken/bad? What you just described sounds like something's wrong with it.
    Connie
    So Many Fish... So Little Tank Space

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast