AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Non Drill Overflow

Registered Member

Default Re: Non Drill Overflow

If you are running a siphon box, Lifereef is bulletproof. Other manufacturers may or may not work as well. You can insure success by flattening a piece of PVC on the input of your pump, drilling and installing an air fitting on the flat, and running air line from the highest point of the siphon to it. The flat creates a venturi effect, drawing a siphon on the overflow tube, and restarting prime if necessary. Works great. If you are setting up a new system, order your tank with whatever holes you want drilled in by the manufacturer. Both Oceanic, and All Glass have this service. I always lean toward the corner overflow if at all possible. It flows plenty if built to the correct dimensions, allows hidden prefiltering, holds enough water to keep fry alive if they go over the falls, and with a durso pipe, can be virtually silent. BTW, not to steal the thread, but Fertle Mertle and Fred have just spawned, laying about 75 eggs or so while I have been reading SD and replying to this post. I love my life.
    PS, as far as drilling, I think I still have the instructions for a simple piece of brass tubing, and grit to drill tanks with. I'll have to dig around if anyone is interested.
    Last edited by salth20; 02-15-2009 at 02:00 AM.
    Kickin' it old school.
    90 gallon acrylic tank.
    Summit Aquatics trickle system with Dupla Biokaskades.
    Lifegard mechanical and chemical modules. DIY coil denitrator.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123