ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Crazy heater problem

Default Crazy heater problem

One tank the heater went nuts, 96 degrees.. Lucky I caught it before it cooked the fish.. Just wondering what problems could arise out of this.. I have 15 plus stealth heaters and starting to really HATE THEM!!!!!!!!!! Opened the glass cover a little bit and raise the air flow in that tank.

Default Re: Crazy heater problem

Quote Originally Posted by moik View Post
    One tank the heater went nuts, 96 degrees.. Lucky I caught it before it cooked the fish.. Just wondering what problems could arise out of this.. I have 15 plus stealth heaters and starting to really HATE THEM!!!!!!!!!! Opened the glass cover a little bit and raise the air flow in that tank.
    Hey there Moik, I would just let the temp come down gradually on its own and stop at intervals, like 92 wait a few hours, 90 wait a few hours and then 88. I'd probably leave it at 88 overnight and then in the morning drop to 86. Thats just what I would do.

I've had tanks periodically get up to 96 while not paying attention while filling. It never had any adverse affects on my discus. I usually keep my tank at 87F anyways.

HTH
    Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Real Name
    Ricardo

i dont have what you would call an immediate problem with my stealth heater but its still a problem. i notice that at night time my tank temp is at 84.2 range and during the day its in the low 83's or high 82's. the dial is set to 86 btw. i want to get a jager but ive spent too much money lately and the wife told me relax for a bit, lol

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

This heater will not shut off til the dial says 82f. I do not have another heater to replace it right now. Will have a new one tomorrow

I just sent 8 back for warranty issues in the last 3 monthes. Not even a year and half old. Some were not used for some time...Waiting for their replacements from the factory. I would really hate to see this heater not work now. From too hot to cold..
    Last edited by moik; 01-29-2009 at 11:52 PM.

set it for tonight at lower than 80 deg, this way if it goes up past that it should not cook them . just keep an eye on it and if the temp rises up past 86 deg . then pull the heater and try and get one first thing .