AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Heckel Abacaxi Golden

Default Re: Heckel Abacaxi Golden

Thanks,

Okay I'm not so sure about the fact that they are actualy Heckels. They look more like some amazingly gorgeous natural hybrids (i.e. cross between heckel and "normal" discus).

The latest heckels we have in one tank (seperate post in preparation) were sold as Red Mari Mari Heckels, hmpff There is a couple that looks just like that picture in your link. Beautifull fish but not true heckels.

Let's see what other people have to say about this

Just to illustrate my point :

I've never found Rio Red Mari Mari or Rio Golden Abacaxis on the map

It seems that the conventions for naming hybrids has seeped into the wildcaught market. How about this : Blue Moon Blueface Heckel
    for an Alpha male/female Nahmundha Heckel (beautifull fish).

Naming conventions for WC's has always been from a specific branch (Rio or Lago) of the Amazon river. Coming up with these names seems rather more in a comercial sense rather than for scientific reasons.

Registered Member

Hi Eric
    I can certainly see your reasoning about it being a wild cross as looking at the video there seems to be a lot of variation in colour and bar paterning(indeed some are not showing any sign of a prominent 5th bar)I will ask Paul view on this,either way I will be very happy once i get them into my tank.Thanks for the input.
    Last edited by benn2311; 01-30-2009 at 07:34 AM.

Cross or not, that is a beautiful fish i wouldn't mind having in my tank. You can always send them to my house if you don't end up liking them so much
    Cheers
    Robyn

Registered Member

Hi Robyn
    I love these fish allready and not in my tank yet lol.Although i may be persuaded to give them to you if you pay for my air fare and put me up for a cpl of weeks lol

Registered Member
    Real Name
    YX

Quote Originally Posted by erikc View Post
    Just to illustrate my point :

I've never found Rio Red Mari Mari or Rio Golden Abacaxis on the map

It seems that the conventions for naming hybrids has seeped into the wildcaught market. How about this : Blue Moon Blueface Heckel
    for an Alpha male/female Nahmundha Heckel (beautifull fish).

Naming conventions for WC's has always been from a specific branch (Rio or Lago) of the Amazon river. Coming up with these names seems rather more in a comercial sense rather than for scientific reasons.
    I don't think the "red" and "golden" are referring to the river. rather, it's to differentiate colour and hence add some value (ie increased price) to the fish. I'd read "Red Mari Mari Heckel" as a Heckel from Rio Marimari that is red in colour, and "Golden Abacaxis Heckel" as a Heckel from Rio Abacaxis that is golden in colour :P

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by illumnae View Post
    I don't think the "red" and "golden" are referring to the river. rather, it's to differentiate colour and hence add some value (ie increased price) to the fish. I'd read "Red Mari Mari Heckel" as a Heckel from Rio Marimari that is red in colour, and "Golden Abacaxis Heckel" as a Heckel from Rio Abacaxis that is golden in colour :P

Hello Illumnae,

I totally agree!

Dan

Registered Member

Those are definetelly hybrids between blue/brown discus and heckle discus, very nice fish. Blue/brown discus live in Rio Canuma drainage that is relativelly near heckel habitats (Rio Abaxias). Rio Marimari and Rio Abaxias are real geographical names. Keep us updated and post a lot of pics and of course description of your setup.
    Erikc dont forget to post a short description of your setup too in the upcoming post.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    YX

Based on Heiko's book (page 174 photo 4), I think I have heckels from Rio Abacaxis. They're golden brown in colour...are they the Rio Abacaxis goldens?

Photos can be found here:
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...t=66782&page=4

Registered Member

I also have an order for 30 of these fish from H&K, expect to arrive next Saturday. I believe these are natural hybrid, as I was told all the fish shows the 5th bar but intensity depends on mood, but there's so much variation on the color pattern. The fish background color is amazing...

I wonder if hybrids in the wild will ever breed true? Or so much variations that they remains sparious populations that comes and go ...

Once I get the fish, will send some pictures...

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by illumnae View Post
    Based on Heiko's book (page 174 photo 4), I think I have heckels from Rio Abacaxis. They're golden brown in colour...are they the Rio Abacaxis goldens?

Photos can be found here:
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...t=66782&page=4
    illumnae,

The fish in your other post looks like true heckel, whereas the golden Abacaxi looks like hybrid... My 2 cents...

Registered Member

FYI ... some of the Abacaxi Golden Heckel Cross pictures - still at holding tanks in Brazil ..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

I believe these are natural hybrid, as I was told all the fish shows the 5th bar but intensity depends on mood, but there's so much variation on the color pattern.
    Yes, these are natural crosses and very nice fish to boot

I suspect Eric is being a bit mischievous here when talking about the names and locations of these fish.
    [How about this : Blue Moon Blueface Heckel
    I might point out that the wording on the Nhamunda Blue's we have for sale are/is "Wild Blue Moon/Blue Faced Heckel" and further on in the description it says they are from the Rio Nhamunda. Now, what the description is saying is that they are Wild Blue Moon Heckels sometimes called Blue faced Heckels. It is purely to differentiate the various colour variants in the Rivers and lakes. If some people want to take it to the very literal meanings then so be it but I see nothing to be gained by it.

It's a shame Eric that you so obviously do not have Heiko's book as a reference. It's one which has been hailed as an icthyological work of art and would have been a lot of help in your looking for the Rio Mari Mari Over 600 pages packed with pictures, facts & information about the Amazon, it's wildlife and people

Page 174 Mari Mari Heckel variants and yes, a very nice Golden Fish there too

Paul @ Discus South

You getting the golden heckel cross?
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by basshead View Post
    You getting the golden heckel cross?
    If you are asking me the answer is yes

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast