AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Heckel Abacaxi Golden

Default Re: Heckel Abacaxi Golden

Oh okay, I thought you were getting the Heckels. The Heckel crosses look nice. Must be a cross with a brown to get that nice golden color. They are nice.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by basshead View Post
    Oh okay, I thought you were getting the Heckels. The Heckel crosses look nice. Must be a cross with a brown to get that nice golden color. They are nice.

Eddie
    Yup was some confusion over what they are exactly hence the thread .That seems to have been sorted out now that they are a wild heckel cross.Still a very nice looking fish which i am looking forward to getting.

Quote Originally Posted by benn2311 View Post
    Yup was some confusion over what they are exactly hence the thread .That seems to have been sorted out now that they are a wild heckel cross.Still a very nice looking fish which i am looking forward to getting.

They definitely are very exquisite looking. Post pictures when you get them settled in.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

Quote Originally Posted by illumnae View Post
    Based on Heiko's book (page 174 photo 4), I think I have heckels from Rio Abacaxis. They're golden brown in colour...are they the Rio Abacaxis goldens?

Photos can be found here:
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...t=66782&page=4
    Illuminae,

The appleation "golden" is misgiving. My Rio Abacaxis Heckels were the same coulour when younger. They are beautifull fish though and the striations will intensify when they get older. I must say it is pretty rare to see so many with ruby red eyes.

Red face Re: Heckel Abacaxi Golden

[QUOTE=Paul Lucas;500077]Yes, these are natural crosses and very nice fish to boot

I suspect Eric is being a bit mischievous here when talking about the names and locations of these fish.

Paul,
    please accept my apologies, yes I was being mischievous but I did not intend to offend. It is already confusing in the WC market to find where the fish come from. I do value highly the fact that you are selling high quality WC's (something very rare)

It's a shame Eric that you so obviously do not have Heiko's book as a reference.

Yes I do have Heiko's book, also HJ Mayland's, Axelrod's (several) etc. I do remember the time before internet and such widespread quantities of information which can be misleading

Registered Member

Hi guys,

this is Heiko and just for the sake of it:

the Heckel discus shown from SIN (those from illumnae) are definitely S. discus and no crosses what soever.

Noiw those people here are talking about on this thread, I have to see. But if they are, as mentioned above, same or similar to my book page 174/4, that they are 100% Heckel discus as well and no cross whatsoever. And if "Golden" or not, that is just an addition one is trying (to my experience) to give to a fish to get more money from it.

The only more or less established names for Heckel discus natural variants (except for the correct location name - naturally) are:
    1. Blue head (or headed) Heckel discus (which I discovered first in the early 1970s in ther Xeruini), and the
    2. almost Solid blue Heckel discus in the Rio Nahmundá, in 1997. And the latter now they call, as Paul mentioned: Blue Moon, or whatever (to sell better?).

But at the end of the day, these are all beauties and just color variants in nature, as with many other living species.

Thank you Paul for your nice comments and congratulations for the nice fishes you received (sometime friends can be helpful...). And alo Plecochico for the correct comments.

Always

Heiko Bleher
    Last edited by Chad Hughes; 01-12-2011 at 05:30 PM.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Heiko Bleher View Post
    Hi guys,

this is Heiko and just for the sake of it:

the Heckel discus shown from SIN (those from illumnae) are definitely S. discus and no crosses what soever.

Noiw those people here are talking about on this thread, I have to see. But if they are, as mentioned above, same or similar to my book page 174/4, that they are 100% Heckel discus as well and no cross whatsoever. And if "Golden" or not, that is just an addition one is trying (to my experience) to give to a fish to get more money from it.

The only more or less established names for Heckel discus natural variants (except for the correct location name - naturally) are:
    1. Blue head (or headed) Heckel discus (which I discovered first in the early 1970s in ther Xeruini), and the
    2. almost Solid blue Heckel discus in the Rio Nahmundá, in 1997. And the latter now they call, as Paul mentioned: Blue Moon, or whatever (to sell better?).

But at the end of the day, these are all beauties and just color variants in nature, as with many other living species.

Thank you Paul for your nice comments and congratulations for the nice fishes you received (sometime friends can be helpful...). And alo Plecochico for the correct comments.

Always

Heiko Bleher
    www.aquapress-bleher.com

Hi Heiko,

Recently, we got a shipment of fish from a good Brazil exporter - the fish arrived in excellent condition, and we got what we ordered!

One of the type of fish they sold was called "Heckel Cross" ... these fish have the characteristic 5th (also 1st & 9th) bar very dark and prominent, but their color varies a lot even within the shipment. Enclosed are 3 of the so called "Heckel Cross" ...

As stated in your book, page 200, there are some S. haraldi with prominent 5th bar, so are these natural hybrid of Heckels or really S. haraldi?

Thanks,

Michael
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

Hi Guy's
    Well they are here Took delivery of them at 8am and they are at the moment in their bags floating in a 5gal bucket in their bags in tank water.I am going to slowly place tank water into the bags over the next hour or so to equalise the ph etc ,then they will be placed into the tank.I must really thank Paul & Ange for all their help and congratulate Ange on her packing skills the heat packs are still warm to touch.After a 12 hr journey i imagined them to be lying on their sides,but no they were swimming around looking really alert.Pics will follow once settled in.
    Happy Day's
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by benn2311 View Post
    Hi Guy's
    Well they are here Took delivery of them at 8am and they are at the moment in their bags floating in a 5gal bucket in their bags in tank water.I am going to slowly place tank water into the bags over the next hour or so to equalise the ph etc ,then they will be placed into the tank.I must really thank Paul & Ange for all their help and congratulate Ange on her packing skills the heat packs are still warm to touch.After a 12 hr journey i imagined them to be lying on their sides,but no they were swimming around looking really alert.Pics will follow once settled in.
    Happy Day's
    Paul
    Sounds great! Post pictures when they get settled. Glad they are doing well

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

Can't wait to see the pictures

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by erikc View Post
    Can't wait to see the pictures
    don't expect award winning pic's as my photographic ability's are dire and they will be from my phone camera

Default Heckel Abacaxi Golden

They look fantastic. Nice body shapes. How old do you think they are ?

Aaron

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by bavaria36 View Post
    They look fantastic. Nice body shapes. How old do you think they are ?

Aaron
    I wouldn't like to hazard a guess Aaron as they are from wild I don't know the feeding regime at the exporters and how long they had them .All I know is Paul had them in for 4 weeks before shipping them to me.The largest is 4.5" and the smaller one 4" and are in perfect condition a testament to H&K discus and Paul's care

Registered Member

Nice wilds. Post more information about the tank that they are in and some more pics and maybe even some short movies.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast