AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Sponge filters.

Registered Member

Default Sponge filters.

Does length of lift tubes on sponge filters affect performance? Would like to shorten if possible so that tubes remain underwater during water changes but not at the cost of performance between water changes. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
    Leland.

Registered Member

Default Re: Sponge filters.

I'd have to say yes it does but I'm not sure at what point if any it no longer makes a difference. Think about if you had no tube at all. The bubbles would automatically disperse into the tank. With the tube on the filter, the bubbles stay constrained and it is the bubbles moving up the tube that take the water with them pulling more water through the filter. Now what I'm not sure of is how much difference there is between having a 8" or 12" or 16" tube. I'm sure there's someone out there that can quantify it.

Kirk

I took all my tubes off, still works efficiently. I am no mechanical engineer but the air still pulls water through the sponge so how much more or less effective is not a concern of mine.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

Thankyou for replys. I decided to leave as is. Water only receeds below the tubes in 75 gal not in 80 gal and I am of a mind that shortening the tubes may hamper the performance somewhat but had to ask. I love the way they work thus far.

I am with Eddie, I took all the lift tubes out of the hydros a year ago and everything is Great.
    Less maintenance and it seems to pull the same amount of debris as always. I always though the venturi effect of the tube would give it more speed and because of it a higher volume of water would go through the sponge, it does not seem to apply.
    I like " Less Maintenance "

Roberto

If I remember correctly the higher the tube, the faster the water flows down. But, with the kind of wate changes we do on discus tanks in my opinion is irrelevant whether is there or not. I do leave it full lenght on mine though.
    When science and magic collide, the story begins.

Quote Originally Posted by alpine View Post
    I am with Eddie, I took all the lift tubes out of the hydros a year ago and everything is Great.
    Less maintenance and it seems to pull the same amount of debris as always. I always though the venturi effect of the tube would give it more speed and because of it a higher volume of water would go through the sponge, it does not seem to apply.
    I like " Less Maintenance "

Roberto
    Great minds think alike Roberto

I actually saw another simply member doing it a while back, might have been you....or Francis, I can't remember. The one that I do know is that cuts down on build up of gunk, no cleaning the tube, disconnecting the line to clean the airline tubing. It so much easier to deal with. Having a lot of them to clean begins to be quite tedious after a while.

Take care
    Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

In my experience.. Sponge filter work best with the tube as short as possible. you don't need a long tube sticking out of the top. ANd you really don;t need an elbow on the top. I've found that the elbow just collects the bubble thus making them larger when the come out and head straigh to the top. In fact i usually make sponge fillters. they are quite easy, and cheap.

1. Take some sponge,(most expensive item) It has to be fish tank sponge . you can't use dishwashing sponges.
    2. Freeze the sponge in a respective tub of water so you have a block of ice.
    3. Get some PVC. (i get clear fish tank tubing) Plug one end of the piping and drill tons of holes, the more the better. NOT too small tho.
    4. Take the ice block sponge and drill a hole in it for the PVc. you wanna drill this slightly smaller than the PVC so when you put it on its snug.( i drill all the way through for step 5, but most of the way though will work for most cases, if you don;t go all the way through you don;t need to plug the bottom [not tested]
    5 I attach a suction cup to the plug to stick to the bottom of the tank. How? depends on the cups i find at the time.
    6 Lastly i take an air line, with an air stone and drop it it, it makes the air coming out quite fine and easily absorbed in the tank.

NOTE: FOR best results you want the air stone to be below the holes that were drilled in the pvc. Im not sure the physics . but i just makes for better suction.

I hope this helps,

next time i make one ill make a pics post.

CEAZ..
    Last edited by Ceahorse; 02-14-2009 at 11:19 PM.
    If you like reading short stories, Check my blog. http://ceahorsenlion.blogspot.com/ (not related to fish, usually)

Real Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by basshead View Post
    I took all my tubes off, still works efficiently. I am no mechanical engineer but the air still pulls water through the sponge so how much more or less effective is not a concern of mine.

Eddie
    Ditto, no tubes and all is well for over a year now.