AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The utmost best gill fluke cure

Banned

Default Re: The utmost best gill fluke cure

Ed Most major koi dealers will have it and IF you try it, only buy it from a very reputable one. The chem has to be mixed really well when portioned up and it has to be mixed very well before use. This may be why the mixed results that Kacey mentioned

Other than the link I post to the UK thread I have no idea of a dose for discus.

It would take one of the breeders with lots of fish to nail down the correct dosage

Quote Originally Posted by kaceyo View Post
    Actually PP kills flukes very well. The problem is you can't do an ongoing treatment with it, which you need to do with flukes, because it will damage the fish's gills if used too frequently.
    Prazi works well for a bad case of flukes, but you need to do a 21 day treatment. Also some fluke strains have developed a resistance to prazi. I use prazi on a three day repetative cycle. Day 1 50% wc and full dose, Day 2 50% wc and 1/2 dose, day 3 50% wc and no dose. Repeat this 3 day cycle for 21 days.
    I've never used formalin for long term flukes treatments but IME it works well for ridding fry of flukes in a couple of doses.
    Unfortunetly Supaverm is supposedly very unpredictable on discus. It works well one time and kills the discus the next. If anyone decides to test it out I'd love to hear the results.

Kacey

Hey Kacey,

Thats what I read about PP and also read that only short baths are effective as extended is too hard to control the correct amount needed to kill flukes.

I do a similar PraziPro treatment as you accept I do a full dose after the 50% daily WC during the 3 days on.

I have a tank of stunted discus that are my hero discus that I would like to try Supaverm on when I can acquire it. Obviously I would have to wait until they get gill flukes and even then I would need to scope them to gaurantee it's effectiveness.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Banned

Eddie there's no question that SV kills flukes, both gill and skin and does it very well...then question is whether it'll kill the fish or not

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Eddie there's no question that SV kills flukes, both gill and skin and does it very well...then question is whether it'll kill the fish or not
    No Graham, I believe you that Supaverm is effective on gill flukes. I would just need to verify that my fish have gill flukes first so I don't shoot the wrong foot.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

Hey Eddie,
    With PP the articles always named overdosing as the reason for the deaths. Nothing was ever pinned down as a reason for the mixed results with Supaverm, so it could be anything. I'd think that the company that distributes it to the aquarium hobby would have tested it on discus to widen their target customer base but you never know.
    Many people would be interested in using it on discus if it could be done safely. Keep us posted if you get a chance to try it.

Kacey
    Quote Originally Posted by basshead View Post
    Hey Kacey,

Thats what I read about PP and also read that only short baths are effective as extended is too hard to control the correct amount needed to kill flukes.

I do a similar PraziPro treatment as you accept I do a full dose after the 50% daily WC during the 3 days on.

I have a tank of stunted discus that are my hero discus that I would like to try Supaverm on when I can acquire it. Obviously I would have to wait until they get gill flukes and even then I would need to scope them to gaurantee it's effectiveness.

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by kaceyo View Post
    Hey Eddie,
    With PP the articles always named overdosing as the reason for the deaths. Nothing was ever pinned down as a reason for the mixed results with Supaverm, so it could be anything. I'd think that the company that distributes it to the aquarium hobby would have tested it on discus to widen their target customer base but you never know.
    Many people would be interested in using it on discus if it could be done safely. Keep us posted if you get a chance to try it.

Kacey
    Will do Kacey, the other thing to think about is the treatment schedule. I understand the dosage but is it a single dose, 3 days on...1 week.

I'll have to do a search on BIDKA.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

I just put Supaverm in googgle and it is avaliable in the USA.. My only question is, If these suppliers are dividing larger bottles down to smaller retail sizes. Being the product has to be very well sahaken to get all the chemical in a even dosing state for use. What happens if they do not pay attention to that when they are making the smaller dose bottles? or should you buy the actual bottle that was created in the manufacturers lab? Just a lot of chances it sounds like with med.
    Last edited by moik; 01-28-2009 at 06:52 PM.

Banned

And that why I said from reputable dealers only. Legally SV can't be used in North America. It's not aproved for Vet use in any way in NA.

The product only comes in 1 litre containers out of the UK for about a $175CDN

You would be safe ordering out of here.

https://www.pondrx.com/products/16147.html

That is the exact site I seen it for sale. 100mg for $32.99. Going to contact them and see their opinions of it with discus. It did not look like a bottle from the manufacturers lab, I could be though.

Real Name
    Walter

I don't know about SV, but keep in mind that most of the meds (like Prazi) have to be used more than once because they don't kill the eggs of flukes. So they are only vulnerable in the adult stage.

Walter
    Walter

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by moik View Post
    That is the exact site I seen it for sale. 100mg for $32.99. Going to contact them and see their opinions of it with discus. It did not look like a bottle from the manufacturers lab, I could be though.
    They divide up large containers of it

If and when I would need this in the future, I will try this.. Hopefully someone in the discus world has some reliable dosing avaliable by then..I will get it at the site you shown. Seems like a good option for its intended purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Wahter View Post
    I don't know about SV, but keep in mind that most of the meds (like Prazi) have to be used more than once because they don't kill the eggs of flukes. So they are only vulnerable in the adult stage.

Walter
    Hi Walter,
    That's what is supposed to set Supaverm apart from the other meds listed. It is a one time dose and still eradicates all flukes on koi without followup treatments.

Kacey

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyDiscus View Post
    I rotate between Prazi, PP and formalin. I use one of them at least once a month weather they need it or not due to large numbers of fish in one tank. I prefer potassium promagnte though, Like any med it should be respected.

Ed
    Ed,

PP is readily available in VA? I can't seem to source out a cheap option for it here in NY. Would you mind sharing your source, and price?

Post 23 in this thread. Graham put a link to store that does sell it. I have seen PP on their site too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast