ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The utmost best gill fluke cure

Registered Member

Default Re: The utmost best gill fluke cure

I've had exceptionally good luck with Fluke Tabs, especially with juvies and older fry. It clears up flukes within 2-3 days every time, and seems to have a minimal effect on the fish in terms of stress. The fish's colors will flush and they often become a little skiddish for a day or two, but other than that it's business as usual.

Haven't had much luck with potassium permangenate. It always seems to burn the fish so bad I have to quit the treatment, even at low doses. I think it burns them too fast to be effective at diminishing the fluke numbers. I've always found several fish laying on their sides the morning after dosing every time I've used it. Haven't lost one from it, but they certainly don't seem to like the stuff. Remember, PP is a strong oxidizer, so use with caution if decide to go that route.

WCs and low density of fish population will hopefully keep anyone from having to use meds. I first started using PP and yes I burned some fish. I have done worse things that if I printed here the tree huggers would have me kicked off. TG for the pm. PP works great for flukes. The key is a prolonged bath in a light pink solution. If you have high organics then your water will turn amber quickly. Put in some hydrogen peroxide do your wc and wait till the next day to retreat. Keep your feedings down to a min as to reduce organics. Keep and eye on your fish during the process. I can tell you that when I clean my system, ie sponges,glass,pipes,bulk fittings and then do a PP treatment that I have been able to get a 98 percent hatch rate with certain pairs. I believe that fertility of a pair depends on strain and health of the pair as well. People can get all the info they want on whatever medication but IMO it takes time and exp to get a good feel for what your doing. I agree with Eddie in that having fish to test with is a big advantage. Most people would disagree with that but ok. To each his/her own I guess.

BTW, I buy oxy clear from John at Jehmco and use that at 1/4 str. I believe the cost is less than twenty dollars.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyDiscus View Post
    WCs and low density of fish population will hopefully keep anyone from having to use meds. I first started using PP and yes I burned some fish. I have done worse things that if I printed here the tree huggers would have me kicked off. TG for the pm. PP works great for flukes. The key is a prolonged bath in a light pink solution. If you have high organics then your water will turn amber quickly. Put in some hydrogen peroxide do your wc and wait till the next day to retreat. Keep your feedings down to a min as to reduce organics. Keep and eye on your fish during the process. I can tell you that when I clean my system, ie sponges,glass,pipes,bulk fittings and then do a PP treatment that I have been able to get a 98 percent hatch rate with certain pairs. I believe that fertility of a pair depends on strain and health of the pair as well. People can get all the info they want on whatever medication but IMO it takes time and exp to get a good feel for what your doing. I agree with Eddie in that having fish to test with is a big advantage. Most people would disagree with that but ok. To each his/her own I guess.
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123