AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What type discus do I have?

Registered Member

Default What type discus do I have?

Default Re: What type discus do I have?

Hey Matt, quick question, where did you get these from and did you get them all from the same place?
    [I]You can't get lost if you don't know where your going...................

Silver Member

I'm no expert when it comes to identifying discus, so I'll leave it to the experts on this forum. About all I know is what appeals to me. Thank you for sharing your pictures with us. Pretty fish, good luck with them.

Would like to make a suggestion for what ever its worth. Photobucket has the capability of arranging your pictures into an album. Just create a new album, put a name on it, and then drag your pictures into it. That way you will create a slide show and the viewer wont have to click and remove each picture separately.

Looks like your new to the SD forum, so welcome. You will find a lot of really nice people with tons of knowledge about discus.

Paul

Real Name
    Matt

Well Matyb
    here is my breakdown on your discus.
    1=san mirah, 2=small turq, 3=carnation(pigeon) 4=red turq,5=white diamond,6=snakeskin,7=snakeskin,8,9,10=red melon
    KCCO!

1. Rose Red
    2. Red Turquoise
    3. Red Pigeonblood
    4. Red Turquoise
    5. White Diamond
    6. Penang Eruption
    7. Penang Eruption
    8,9,10. Red Melon

Some of these fish are stunted so I'm taking it that you got these from an unreliable source. Next time, get them from a sponsor here on SD. Some of the Red Melon's look terrible. The fins are all uneven and. . .blehh! Just try to get your discus from sponsors like Hans of Kenny.
    Nothing will work unless you do. ~John Wooden
    Caleb

Real Name
    Christopher G

Real Name
    Christopher G

Hey mattyb
    I took the liberty of uploading your pictures. Let me take a stab a naming them.

1. Rose red, but more brown based
    2. Turq
    3.pigeon blood
    4. Galaxy turq
    5. Snow white
    6&7. Penangs
    8. Red melon

I'm not sure about the first discus though. Hopefully our resident geneticist can identify it.
    Last edited by blueluv; 08-17-2013 at 10:05 PM.

Registered Member

Hey guys yes I did get them from the same place and the price I paid for them you would be very impressed, and the people I got them from never looked after them at all, Shem I picked them up last water change was done 2 months ago.... nitrates where at 160ppm plus. There are all ranging from 8cm to 15cm, yes I know I shouldn't of got them but hey when I got them for 400 Australian dollars when there over 1500 dollars werth of fish I thought it was werth the shot, there in quarentine atm. And stunted growth, what do toy mean by this? Will it grow out?

Registered Member

And thank you for putting photos on a post

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Stunted means they've seriously not taken in proper nutrition at some point. A sure sign of that is an unusually small eye to body height at the eye ratio, or in other words they have a big eye. Your second and fifth pictures display the characteristic, as well as perhaps a couple others. They most likely will always be your smallest fish, though with good care they will also likely continue to grow.

If they were 1/4 the normal price of discus down under you may have done alright, because there are a couple nice looking ones in the group. The first one for sure, the seventh one as well. The first one might be a Rose Red crossed with a snakeskin given how many bars it has. A friend here, Bill63SG, has some fish that look just like that that are that cross.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...y-Update/page6
    Last edited by Keith Perkins; 08-17-2013 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Found the thread with Bill's fish and added link
    President - North American Discus Association

Real Name
    Mike

You need to do some searches here on simply but stunted means that you have older fish that didn't develop well due to their environment/treatment. Bad shapes and large eyes for a small discus are just a couple of give - away's. Usually bad quality water and not enough of the right foods create stunted discus. Treat them right and you might see some improvement as they get older. Some things cannot be reversed. Crucial growth is from birth to 8 months or so. Once they reach 3-4 inches, they become a little more hardy and then adults over 12 months are pretty forgiving.

Registered Member

Ok Thanks guys, previous owners only feed them flakes, that's it, (felt like punching them in the face! ) there on a good mix of beef heart and blood worms now, only had them for 2 weeks, I hope they improve. I was told they had them for a year and I did notice my white Dimand did look very odd shape, at a year old what is a estimate size?

Registered Member

Cheers my 7th is my favorite, he also my biggest at 5.5 inches. I'm guessing he the healthiest out of them all since they are a year old

Real Name
    Mike

I would toss out an estimate of 5-6 inches depending on strain. As it was said before, you have some that should be fine with some TLC. The white one does look the worst.

Registered Member

Ok Thanks for that

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast