AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transferring to a larger tank.

Registered Member Madaboutdiscus's Avatar

Default Transferring to a larger tank.

Ok so I have decided to switch my 5 rapidly growing babies from their 40 to a 56 column. I plan on using the same filter and filter media and such on the new one as I have the aquaclear 110 already. How do I go about doing it so that I dont mess up my parameters? I have never done a 100% water change since ive had them. Ill get a new heater so I can already have the proper temp before the move. Do I move old tank water over along with the filter and fish or put all new water in? Do I need to let the tank cycle first before moving them? Theyre still pretty young I just dont want to take a chance on hurting them.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Real Name
    Brandon Trier

Default Re: Transferring to a larger tank.

Move filters over and then move fish. And then you're done.
    -Brandon
    Discus.....The best cult I've been a part of!
    B's Bunker

thats what i did, i let the filter run for a week just for extra measures

Quote Originally Posted by du3ce View Post
    I dont have an extra filter. I have to use the existing one so it has to go when the fish do.

Well I do but theyre old tetra filters that need new cartridges so itd be like starting over again anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by du3ce View Post
    No need to do this. You'd be starving your beneficial bacteria if there were no fish in it. Just move em together.

Real Name
    Brandon Trier

sorry what I meant was move the filters and fish all at the same time. I'd move the filters first and then fish is what I literally meant. When you move the fish i'd do a dose of safe or prime just in case if there is any ammonia in the tank for some reason. no need to move the filter first and let it run. this would reduce the bio filter if anything.
    -Brandon
    B's Bunker

I was thinking of going ahead and getting the heater going in the big one so that the temp is spot on and then on water change day remove half from the old tank and half from the new. Put some old tank water in with the new and moving the filter over. Id then let it run maybe an hour or so just to make sure its hit all the water. It filters 500 gph. The old tank has a bubbler bar and the old heater so theyd be fine im sure for that time with no filtration. Then ill check water parameters and make the move if things are ok. That way the filter is still doing its job and its like a 50% water change. I have the new heater coming in the mail should be here next week. Once its at a stable temp then I can start the move.

Real Name
    Brandon Trier

You truly don't need to worry about transferring old water. It's just going to be a PITA.
    -Brandon
    B's Bunker

Yep. No different than a 100% water change.

Fill the new tank with 100% new water and add dechlor (if you normally do that with water changes). Drop in a heater so that you can heat the water to near the existing tank's temperature. You can also take the bubbler bar out of your existing tank and add it to the new tank to circulate the water and help it heat more evenly. Let it heat and circulate overnight, then move your filters from the existing tank onto the new tank, then move the discus. There's no need to use old water. As long as you've dechlorinated the new water and aged it overnight, it should be the same as your existing tank's water.

If you're using the same filters and filter media, there is no need to worry about a cycle. Your beneficial bacteria will keep right on working from the old tank to the new.

I would test the ph and temp to make sure it's the same before moving all the fish at once. It'll also be good to let the new tank water sit overnight before adding fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
    I would test the ph and temp to make sure it's the same before moving all the fish at once.
    I +1 this and agree with the 100% w/c.
    Nothing will work unless you do. ~John Wooden
    Caleb

Thanks everbody for the great ideas. I think letting the water age is a great idea. Well try that and then do like a water change and check all the parameters before the move. I was just afraid about the ph because there is a little difference between the tap ph and the tank ph. But I think if we age the water the ph will settle and then like I said run the filter at least long enough so the whole tank gets through it. Check the levels and then switch.

Registered Member strawberryblonde's Avatar

You have half of the plan right. Aging the water to match the pH is a good idea if there's a shift, especially a downward shift.

Now for the filters you do NOT want to move them until you've actually placed the discus into the new tank. If they remain in the old tank they will have enough crud in the water column to continue to the BB process. If you move them to the new tank and just let them run, they won't have anything to consume and the beneficial bacteria will start to die off. You don't want that!

So age the water overnight in the tank with the heater and an air stone running, then, in the morning transfer the discus over, feed them some flakes and THEN move the filters.
    Toni

120g - 10
    discus, 4 cory's, 50+ Cardinals for now... give it a month and it'll change!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast