AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Artificial rearing made easy

Default Artificial rearing made easy

For about 4 months ive been playing around with a combination of ideas ive seen and ideas of my own,and this is what ive come up with.It looks kind of funny but works great.I have run 5 spawnings thru it and lost a total of 19 babies.Anyone interested in trying it ill gladly explain the whole process for you.What i like most is no water changes,all you do is feed the fry.I put a LOT of baby brine in and it lasts for 12 hrs,with NO contamination of the water.Its hard for me to explain this thing,because im a hunt and peck typist,so if you really want the whole scoop give me a call 250 569 0422 Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

Default Re: Artificial rearing made easy

That IS definitely different! It looks interesting tho. I might have to get some more info on it if my pairs continue to eat their free swimmers. Am glad it's working for you...I know how frustrating the egg and fry thing can be with bad parents...Bill

I agree Bill,thats why i spent so much time on it.I lost hundreds of fry because of there egg eating.Had 3 sucessful spawns and they started it all over again. Ihave a pair of Rose Red int. that are throwing a lot of albinos so i was determined to do something.Now my problem is to many (6oo plus) fry.Be happy to give you the whole scoop if you decide to try it.Its really quite simple and easy to make,takes all the messing around time consuming stages out of raising fry.Feed them every 5 6 hours and thats it.Let me know if i can help Tom

Looks interesting. I'd love to hear more about it. I take it you feed bbs exclusivly? Maybe you could practice your typing and tell us more about it???

Kacey

Nice BT... Kind of like the nutty professor but nice...

Hi there,nuty profesor here.No i also feed a product called Better than Brine.Got it on aqua bid from Uncle.Its a mix of things 60% protine and very fine powder.As you can see its a tub inside of a tub with a air lift raising water from the bottom tub to the top one and enters a small resavoir where the water is dispersed via air line tubing to the contaners holding the fry.The baskets that hold the fry are metal wire coffee filters.(no paper)I have found that a steady stream of water is critical for keeping the fry alive.It looks like its knocking the fry around a lot but there always moving with the water and thats what keeps the water going thru the filter keeping it fresh.Live brine dont go thru the filter but dead ones do,dropping down and colected by the small outside filter you can see on the end of the bottom tankI also have a heater in the bottom tank holding temp at 87 F,Sorry guys but if you want to know more give me a call cause this is misery for me.I can hardly see the keys much less search out the letters.Im 71 yrs old and my eyes aint what they used to be.Anyone who really wants to know more and finds it a hardship calling shoot me a e mail with your number and ill call youLooking forward to helping anyone who wants to try it.

Real Name
    Ricardo

that looks awesome. i'm sure there are a lot of memebers here that would benefit from your design. you are a real creative person.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

Hey Tuck,

Looks like a great idea. Also want to commend you on your offer to call people to spread your idea. Wondering if you could post a few pictures looking down into the unit. Also wondering about the feeding. Most artificial rearing procedures use a egg mixture for the first feedings then switch to BBS. Are you finding that the egg mix isn't necessary and you're getting this kind of results going with the BBS and the other food?

Kirk

No egg only the powder and bb.Ill try and get you some top shots tomorrow.

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Not bad but it looks a lot like the way angel fish are raised. I wrote an article one time for NADA on this, but I never got the pictures taken to go with it. I guess I need to drag it out and finish it. If I can find it I will post it sometime today.

Look good.

-john

Registered Member

Hi Tom...I think I got it figured out, except for two things that I circled in your photo. What is it? and where did you get it? What keeps the water level constant in the top container?...Also, where does the filtered water in the top container empty back into the bottom container?...Thanks Bill

Registered Member

nice setup.
    always one for artificial rearing of fries.
    only 3 silly questions : 1. where are the fries
    2. where is the food put
    3. is the water continuously changed?

thanks for your patience in typing.
    cheers

Hi Bill,what your looking at on the left is a wood block that holds the sponge in place that covers the small return water holes to the lower tub.On the right is the resavoir for the uplift tube.the airline water tubes run out from it.The reason for it is to allow some of the air to escape and a place to pick up the water in several lines if you want.Ill take some more detailed pictures later today.Hope this helps. Tuck

Registered Member

Thanx Tuck...Some more photos would be nice. Some nice shots looking down would help. Thanks...Bill

Hope these help. Tuck

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast