AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Artificial rearing made easy

Registered Member

Default Re: Artificial rearing made easy

big tuck,
    one more question, but this time on the bbs.
    since i do not have the coffer strainer of yours, can i ask when u feed the bbs , does the bbs also go through the strainer and out , both the live and dead bbs?
    if so, then most of the bbs would go into the big container and will theoretically pollute the tank water since the fries cannot possibility consume the bbs so fast?
    thnks

Hi Stanlee. The live BB cant go thru the fine screen,but when they die they de compose rappidly and then go thru the screen.Once in a while its necessary to siphon the basket clean if your feeding heavely,youl learn how much to feed with a little practice making siphoning unnecessary most of the time. Tuck

Registered Member

tuck,
    with your eyedropper amt of btb feeding , how long do this last before u need to feed again, and roughly how many x per day. Do u also feed at night and leave a light on for the fries to continue feeding or lights out?

also how long u wait to see if the bbs are eaten before u need to siphon them out, as my last batch of fries died due to pollution from dead bbs on day 3.
    thnks

Dont leave a light on .Make the last feeding approx. 2 hs before lights out,check filter and if you have any waste siphon it out.What are you using in place of the wire basket?(coffee filter)I feed BB whenever i look into the basket and cant see any BB alive.If you lost fry from pollution,then your feeding way to much or you dont have enough water going thru the basket.90% of the waste should go thru the basket and out thru the system.It sounds like your basket whatever it is may be to fine not allowing waste to escape.Hope this helps,keep me posted we can work it out. Tuck What are you feeding prior to BB?

Registered Member

To cool! the videos are excellent. Very generous of you to share this with everyone, I think allot of people would have kept this to themselves. Again, a very generous gesture that will help a ton of people raise fry successfully

Thanks for the kind words Stormy.I just want to help those that are going thru what i went thru with those dang canable discus.Getting people to beleive the Gizmo works has been a problem i never anticipated.Seems many want to change it before they even try it as tested and proven.Such is life. Tuck

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Big Tuck View Post
    Dont leave a light on .Make the last feeding approx. 2 hs before lights out,check filter and if you have any waste siphon it out.What are you using in place of the wire basket?(coffee filter)I feed BB whenever i look into the basket and cant see any BB alive.If you lost fry from pollution,then your feeding way to much or you dont have enough water going thru the basket.90% of the waste should go thru the basket and out thru the system.It sounds like your basket whatever it is may be to fine not allowing waste to escape.Hope this helps,keep me posted we can work it out. Tuck What are you feeding prior to BB?
    I am using a coffer filter but not made of paper, so kind of synthetic materia. Perhaps may be too fine. I am also considering using a fine net like material over an improvise small container to make it less fine. Which do u reckon is better?

My btb has arrived, now awaiting the next spawn, if any to try.
    Got u on the lights off thing.

Unfortunately i was told my bbs may not be as small as the san francisco bay ones which are pretty much smaller, so guess i cannot start them on day2 (big problem as it will pollute with the uneaten ones).
    thnks.

Feed the better than brine till day 5 then they will be able to eat the BB.The net thing didnt work for me the fry get stuck in a corner,needs to be a round container,Search Proctor Silex and buy the proper coffee filter on line.Youve gone this far you might as well do it right. Tuck

Registered Member

so.... the basic idea here really is just to simply contain the fry in a small area to allow them a better/easier feed?

and then to keep the small container inside a larger container for filtration/heat/stability?

I have these which I think are basically the same idea?

Basically the same thing I think....this is my small container to concentrate the fry in a small place and in my case the larger container is my main tank as this hangs inside an aquarium

Water from the main tank is lifted via a lift tube into the fry trap and is exhausted on the opposite side back into the main tank. The water is pulled through a piece of poret foam before it goes up the lift tube. The fry trap benefits from the filtration and heat of the main tank.

You can also water change the main tank and the fry trap will remain half full of water.

The trap pictured is used for pleco fry. I have never tried discus fry with it...but the only thing I can see that needs changing is swapping out the plastic screen for foam or some fry might escape the trap.

Also with this one there is no where for dead/uneaten food to fall through... that wouldnt be hard to remedy but the trap would no longer hold water during water changes on the main tank.

homemade from acrylic
    Attached Images Attached Images

neat looking outfit,only one way to find out if it will work,give it a try! Tuck

That is pretty cool little contraption. I'd also like to see it in action.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

That IS definitely different! It looks interesting tho. I might have to get some more info on it if my pairs continue to eat their free swimmers. Am glad it's working for you...I know how frustrating the egg and fry thing can be with bad parents...Bill
    http://bamboo-fiber-clothing.com

well i read the whole thing. ive been too busy to read before this. great work tuck.
    once i get my new shop setup..ill have to try one. might be a bit. i may try it first on some angel babies to experiment on the food amounts for a bit.
    i know for sure the water quality is the main importance. the best discus fry i raised once i had continuous clean water running from a top reservoir down into their tank then out to the laundry tub. but it wasnt totally successful..as i was relying on water dripping in straight from the tap. my water changed temps overnight due to someone turning a tap..and lost them. but those guys grew big and beautiful shape. thats the trick ..for good shaped discus fry. excellent water quality..better growth and shape . and not overfeeding.
    oh and canada how big is it? its as wide as usa..and its a huge land mass.
    canada's really big
    we're the second largest country on this planet earth. we wont be dropping over to big tucks place.

Registered Member

another batch gone down the drain.
    got them to day 4 on btb, when they start getting lethargic looking and not eating.
    day 5, more than 90% died.
    haven't even got them on bbs yet cos uncle said btb can support for longer time.
    anybody got beyond day 5, other than Tuck of course?
    thnks

ITS THE WATER!!!!!!!! your killing them with kindness.To much feed and its not going thru your screen. Tuck

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast