ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Artificial rearing made easy

Default Re: Artificial rearing made easy

Quote Originally Posted by Big Tuck View Post
    Hey Eddy thanks,them critters eat that Prime reef like a bunch of Gators,almost watch them grow.Best flake ive ever fed.Thanks again for bringing it to everyones attention. Tuck
    Yeah, no problem Big Tuck....I'm not about keeping any secrets in this hobby. I am really glad your fish are doing well. I love that Prime Reef! Its a little salty though...... Just kidding

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Hey Mr Wild,if youve got egg eaters jump right in,youl have babies in no time. Tuck

i have a 33 breeder plumbed in line with my 2 x 125g. The thing is i hate taking the breeders out of the 125g and putting them in the 33. so maybe i will just set the 33g up as a 'nutty professor' hatchery and scoop the fry when they go free swimming. this would also be a great set up to test different feed ingredients which i am very interested in. I picked up 2 coffee filters today, so Sunday i hope to build a similar contraption and have it full of fry in march. you around Sunday Tuck?
    2 x 125g semi planted, single 30g sump, 30g in line
    175g Bow
    75g grow/ QT
    200g fiberglass grow

Hi 3toes,dont want to throw cold water on any idea you might have,but in my opinion youd be better off going with a proven system to start and then tweek it to your ideas after your succesful.This thing took me months to perfect and get it working perfect.Suit yourself,ill be happy to help you any way i can.Id sure hate for you to try something similar and have a failure.Not saying you will just dont want you to get discouraged if you shoud have problems.I wish you all the best and will help you any way i can. Tuck PS if you come up with something that works better watch out ill steal your idea.LOL Tuck

I might just do that Big Tuck, might need to wait for a detailed 1,2,3 from someone though bit expensive to be ringing from Australia but I will sure keep an eye out on this site / thread ! Thanks Kath

Red face Re: Artificial rearing made easy

Oh wow,didnt realize you were across the pond.OK ,well look at the photos and post any questions you have ill do my best to clear it up fo you.If you need more pictures,tell me what angle you need and ill get them for you.Love to see this thing working over there.Tuck

thanks Tuck. I will try it your way, sounds like you have put in the background work. i got fresh eggs today, but im going away next week so ill have to wait.
    2 x 125g semi planted, single 30g sump, 30g in line
    175g Bow
    75g grow/ QT
    200g fiberglass grow

No worries Tuck will do - I will get the plastic containers this week and the coffee strainers and then we can go from there! Great Kath

Question Re: Artificial rearing made easy

Big Tuck I have a couple of questions about your nutty professor design that I am not understanding.
    1. Where do the water lines attach to run fresh water from the bottom container to the top?
    2. What did you use as the reservoir? Can it be purchased somewhere like the coffee filters can?

Cheers Kath

Registered Member

I built this today. Have it running to see how it does. Run 1/2 in sprinkler line up from bottom container to just under lip of smaller container into a small yogurt container. Drill the hole and silicone it. Run air lines about half way down on the yougart container out to over the coffee filters. One thing I did different was I used 1/2" pvc across top of smaller container to hold coffee filters and drilled a small hole in them to hold the air line coming out of the yougart container over the top of the coffee filters. Has been running for 3 hours now with no problems. Just have to wait for eggs to put in it.

Registered Member

Built mine as well. Built it Saturday, tho not pretty to look at, seems to be working. Will get to try it out I hope sometime next week...Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images

WAY TO GO GUYS!!! KEEP US POSTED. Tuck

Mr Wild,The water is pushed up by air in the lift tube and deposited in the resavoir.It is then run by tubing via gravity feed to the baskets. The resavoir can be anything mad out of plastic so you can drill holes in it for the tubbing.In my house if i used it id be shot,but a small tupperware container would work great.Hope this helps.Keep asking till you get it,no such thing as a dumb question. Tuck

OK so the only mechanized part (apart from a filter) is an air pump with one line going to the lift tube, is that correct? Ingenious!

OK... a couple of questions, which may be important - given the success rate you've had Tuck.

1) What's the size (volume) of the two containers? Of particular interest is the larger tub's volume since it defines the total water volume.

2) What specific model of filter is that? That defines your turnover.

3) What media are you using in the filter?

4) What is the approximate flow rate into the coffee filters? You speak of "blowing fry around", or something like that. Well I figure there is blowing, and then there's blowing. Be good to know how much blow is appropriate.

5) And finally, any water changes in this routine? And if so, please elaborate.

That would pretty much be all I need to try this myself. Thanks!
    Steve -
    Discus novice. Planted tank pilgrim.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast