AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Heater preference?

Default Re: Heater preference?

Quote Originally Posted by Ibanez540r View Post
    I've gone to the Marineland Stealth heaters. I really like them. No glass to break, temp stays perfectly consistent. Good price going on right now at Dr. F & S. Don't know what anyone else thinks about them but been happy so far
    I've used them, don't like em. The 2 I had just stopped working after about a year. Hate that there is no indicator light to show that it's actually working. I wouldn't buy another one ever.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

I use a XP3 filter, so heater choice is definitely and naturally Rena's SmartHeater. Heater and water inlet tube are all in one. very happy with this combination!

Registered Member

Me too, x3. Well, one is actually an Eheim 2026 that I made work. Very effecient and inobtrusive, and no exposed elements.

Just out of curiousity, I like the idea of not actually having a heater in my tank, but out of sight...

Is the hydor 300 inline heater model specific only with the XP3?? Or can you get it to fit another canister ie eheim?
    Renee'
    Today I'm feeling:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO-qS0DvBgE

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by chintz View Post
    I use a XP3 filter, so heater choice is definitely and naturally Rena's SmartHeater. Heater and water inlet tube are all in one. very happy with this combination!
    i'm assuming you can't put a pre-filter on the rena smart heater correct?

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by FLGirl1977 View Post
    Just out of curiousity, I like the idea of not actually having a heater in my tank, but out of sight...

Is the hydor 300 inline heater model specific only with the XP3?? Or can you get it to fit another canister ie eheim?
    yes it will work with any canister filter as long as the tubing is the same diameter which i believe they all are. they are universal, correct me if i'm wrong here fellaz

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ardan View Post
    I always use 2 underpowered heaters, plus on my discus tanks I now use a temperature controller to be more safe
    http://www.jehmco.com/html/temperature_controller.html
    I have been using the top etc1-1R and have been happy with them.

hth
    Ardan

How the does this work and what exactly does it do?

Anthony

Hi Renee. I use one 300W heater, the Hydor ETH inline heater. I've had it now for a couple of years and it still, (and has always since day one) keeps my temp extremely stable. I have an extra one on hand in case this one gives out. When I used stick heaters, I ALWAYS used them with a controller since I have yet to find a stick heater that is reliable. If you have a canister filter, the Hydor inline is the way to go, IMO. It has the added plus of not having the heater visible in the tank, too and no chance of heater burns. The Hydor stick heaters though, I wouldn't pay 2 cents for. Had 2 of them, and they were relegated to the WC barrel until I decided to go straight from the tap. The only Jager I ever had, the big green one from years ago, was crap. Never bought another one, even though people swore by them.

I just re-read your post and see that its for a 120. I'm using the 300W on my 75. You'll probably need more watts than 300, and I believe that's the highest wattage the Hydor Inline comes in, unless they came out with something new since I bought mine. Maybe the Rena smart heater on your intake along with the Hydor Inline.
    Last edited by poconogal; 01-31-2009 at 09:32 AM.
    Connie
    So Many Fish... So Little Tank Space

Quote Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
    How the does this work and what exactly does it do?

Anthony
    Anthony, a controller controls your heater. Mine work this way and I'm sure the rest of them do too: You plug the heater into the controller, then with the controller hooked up to your heater, you set the heater on its highest setting. You plug the controller into an electric outlet. Then the controller is set for the temp that you want. And that's it, the controller does the work instead of the crappy thermostats they put on stick heaters. The controllers I have also have a safety shut-off at 95 degrees, so no fish soup. With the controllers in use, I've had totally stable temps. If it was set for 84, the water remained 84, not 82 to 84, or 83 to 85, just 84. Now I use the Hydor inline heater which is so accurate and stable that I've not bothered with a controller but for a stick heater, I'd never be without the controller.
    Connie

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    yes it will work with any canister filter as long as the tubing is the same diameter which i believe they all are. they are universal, correct me if i'm wrong here fellaz
    There were 2 sizes of tubing, but I think one is more common. The other size might only be sold overseas, not sure. And maybe they only have one size now, but when I bought my XP3 2 1/2 years ago, they did have 2 sizes.
    Connie

Quote Originally Posted by basshead View Post
    I've used them, don't like em. The 2 I had just stopped working after about a year. Hate that there is no indicator light to show that it's actually working. I wouldn't buy another one ever.
    Eddie
    Eddie, I have those Stealths too. I use one in my hospital tank with a controller and when I used them in the show tanks, I used my controller because they did not keep the temps stable. At least the controller had a heater light on it so that I could see when it was heating and when the heater was off. Without that, I wouldn't have used them at all. The only reason I bought them was that I had a black background at the time and they blended in perfectly.
    Connie

Thanks for all of the replys everyone. I'm definitly leaning towards the inline heaters for my new set up. I do appreciate all of the suggestions though... How does everyone like their inline heaters?
    Renee'
    Today I'm feeling:

Renee, as you can probably guess from my previous reply, I LOVE my Hydor Inline!
    Connie

Connie, have you had any problems, issues, concerns with this? I just want to know what I can about these before laying down around $50 a pop for one! (Unless someone knows where I can get one for a good deal!) lol...
    Renee'
    Today I'm feeling:

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    i'm assuming you can't put a pre-filter on the rena smart heater correct?
    I have a DIY pre-filter ( cut a hole in a AquaClear 110 foam) on the end of the inlet. It works great!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast