AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Heater preference?

Default Re: Heater preference?

Quote Originally Posted by FLGirl1977 View Post
    Connie, have you had any problems, issues, concerns with this? I just want to know what I can about these before laying down around $50 a pop for one! (Unless someone knows where I can get one for a good deal!) lol...
    Renee, I haven't had a single issue, problem or concern etc. Connected the inline, set the temp I wanted and that's it. I have it set for 84 and my thermometer reads 84 .7 - always.
    Connie
    So Many Fish... So Little Tank Space

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by chintz View Post
    I have a DIY pre-filter ( cut a hole in a AquaClear 110 foam) on the end of the inlet. It works great!
    i was assuming since the heater gets hot you wouldn't be able put a pre-filter on it. thanks for the info. i do love my hydor inline heater and i do also recommend it highly. like i said before, i wish i had another xp3 or xp4 to hook another one up to it. 50 bucks is worth it IMO. i got mine brand new for $38 shipped from ebay

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

OK, so I went back through this thread and no one had any advice as to good heaters (besides inline heaters). All that was said was that they disliked Stealth heaters and the Ebo Jager heaters and possibly even a hydor stick heater (not inline).

I'm currently in need of 3 heaters (2 will be for the same tank) and stuck as to what to buy. Right now I have a 300 watt Hydor in my 55 gallon and my Aqua Clear in my 25 gallon took the crap in less than a year (water got inside but it should be a submersible. Then I have two 200 watt Via Aqua heaters that seem pretty reliable but right now one of them is extra and the other is in my storage water. After today, the two 200 watt heaters are moving to the 75 gallon and the 300 watt to the storage tank. I will need 2 heaters for the 55 and one for the 25 gallon tank.

Anthony

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
    OK, so I went back through this thread and no one had any advice as to good heaters (besides inline heaters). All that was said was that they disliked Stealth heaters and the Ebo Jager heaters and possibly even a hydor stick heater (not inline).

I'm currently in need of 3 heaters (2 will be for the same tank) and stuck as to what to buy. Right now I have a 300 watt Hydor in my 55 gallon and my Aqua Clear in my 25 gallon took the crap in less than a year (water got inside but it should be a submersible. Then I have two 200 watt Via Aqua heaters that seem pretty reliable but right now one of them is extra and the other is in my storage water. After today, the two 200 watt heaters are moving to the 75 gallon and the 300 watt to the storage tank. I will need 2 heaters for the 55 and one for the 25 gallon tank.

Anthony
    this is the first thread that i see people talking negatively about Jager. maybe you should start a new thread asking about that one specifically since i do remember a lot of people standing by the Jager.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

Actually, I think I did say that I prefer Rena at the moment. They've been as solid as the previously stellar reputation Ebo's had, but retain that solidly stellar reputation still, IMO. Ebos have actually been failing in alarmingly large numbers for some years now. You can probably go back to 2006 or prior and find those threads on other sites.

Well... I have some input regarding Jager NOW...this has just been happening in the last couple of days: My heater usually always keeps my water at a steady 84.7 F. A couple of days ago I noticed that it dropped 1 degree. No biggie... I just assumed it was from the water change or maybe it was cooler in the house. Today I looked at it again and it had dropped yet ANOTHER degree! I got a different thermometer just to be sure it wasn't our digital thermometer, and sure enough, 2 degrees cooler. Thank goodness I check the temp everyday. There wasn't any degree change in our home out of the norm and the tank has dropped 2 degrees. Thankfully I have an extra heater (another Jager) but will be getting these replaced shortly.

Just some input...
    Renee'
    Today I'm feeling:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO-qS0DvBgE

Registered Member

I found this thread because I'm looking for a good in-tank heater as well. I purchased a Jager heater about a week ago and in one day the temp flucuated from 78-84. I won't be using or buying another Jager anytime soon.

I like the stealth heaters as well. I have 2 on my 90g. I like the fact that they turn themselves off when they are out of the water and turn themselves back on. Plus the benefit of no glass. Of course here in Houston we don't need a whole lot of extra heat.
    Karen

Registered Member

Hydor ETH in line heaters are my FAVORITE heaters! THey are a bit more expensive but here's my feedback: THe most reliable non failing heater I have ever used--I have them on all tanks now---you need to have a canister filter to use them as they are---inline--also love that the heater is outside of the tank and out of sight and nobody can lay eggs on them! Foster and Smith have them. I use the 300w model. Sometimes they go on sale.
    BEst regards
    Harriett

I just wanted to add how wonderful these heaters (Hydor In-line) are now that I have them on my large tank! I literally don't have to touch them and the water remains consistent. I love that they are out of sight/out of mind... I would recommend these to anyone!
    Renee'
    Today I'm feeling:

Registered Member diamond_discus's Avatar

I installed a Theo Hydro 300w in my 55 gallon tank ... I placed it horizontally near the bottom of my tank ... I went on a business trip on Monday ... This morning I got a call from my wife .. that she found one of my Panda Cory dead and the water temp was at 94 !!!!! I set the temp at 87 because this was the setting I can get the water to be 84. Don't ask me why ...

I was so pissed this morning ... but fortunately I didn't lose any discus fish except one Panda cory ...

Is there a problem placing heater horizontally ? or should I place them vertically ? I like to put them horizontally near the bottom so that I don't have move it during WC, and my fish won't spawn on it and damage the tube.

Perhaps I just have a defective heater . I don't know ... but it was certainly scary this morning .. 'cause I am out of town and my wife didn't know what to do ...

I always kept my in-tank heaters vertical to disperse heat better. Maybe they recommend it doesn't rest horizontally so that a fish might not rest on top of it? Just a thought... sorry about the loss of your little guy.
    Renee'
    Today I'm feeling:

Quote Originally Posted by diamond_discus View Post
    I installed a Theo Hydro 300w in my 55 gallon tank ... This morning I got a call from my wife .. that she found one of my Panda Cory dead and the water temp was at 94 !!!!! I set the temp at 87 because this was the setting I can get the water to be 84. Don't ask me why ...

....Perhaps I just have a defective heater . I don't know ... but it was certainly scary this morning .. 'cause I am out of town and my wife didn't know what to do ...
    I have the Hydor Theo heater. I put it in my WC barrel. It was a piece of junk and when I tried it in my tank, my temp was all over the place. Now I just use water from the tap so I never use that heater at all.

I do have the Hydor ETH inline heater and that's completely different. It's set it and forget it... totally rock steady temperature in the tank for the last 2 1/2 years, when I first started using it.
    Connie

Registered Member diamond_discus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by poconogal View Post
    I have the Hydor Theo heater. I put it in my WC barrel. It was a piece of junk and when I tried it in my tank, my temp was all over the place. Now I just use water from the tap so I never use that heater at all.

I do have the Hydor ETH inline heater and that's completely different. It's set it and forget it... totally rock steady temperature in the tank for the last 2 1/2 years, when I first started using it.
    I wish I saw your post earlier ... I was using the Stealth heaters which work great .. except that it's hard to clean once you have residue on it. I decided to try the Hydor this time because it was on sales from DrFosterSmith ... What a mistake. I tried to save a few bucks, but ended up losing a cory and almost my entire tank of discus. A stupid decision. I am going to stick with the Stealth heater from now on. Never fail, never break ... I will figure out a way to clean it.

I have a few Stealth heaters too which did work well before I switched to my inline. A lot of people don't like them because they have no indication that they're working, but... at least they work!
    Connie

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast