ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My empty shrine (pics)

Arrow My empty shrine (pics)

I've had my 120 gallon sitting empty since November (that's another long story) but I've decided to go ahead and start getting everything in order. This thread will be to show the progress of this tank, I thought it might be fun and interesting to share the progress of setting up this tank. I've put in lots of time searching for everything that I wanted. I'll start everything from the very beginning:

I got my tank used, so before it sat empty... we filled it for a few weeks to make sure there weren't any leaks. Here is how the tank sat for about 1 1/2 months, debating if I should set it up sooner or later, depending on our living situation, also the stand was in the garage being repainted:

Note the driftwood. This was what I thought I wanted at first. These were just rough ideas.

On my other tank I have a black background. I've noticed that the fish aren't at their full potential for color, so I decided I wanted something different on this tank, but didn't like the look of white or blue, I decided I wanted an 'opaque' look that would still allow light to come in, so I decided to try this out:

It was REALLY easy to install. We just cut the exact measurements and applied it. Poof! Easy as pie.

With the background being opaque, that meant you would be able to see through the back, so I had to find something that wouldn't be an eyesore and pop right out at you. I searched high and low for some intakes/outputs that were clear, but couldn't find anything that didn't cost me my first born. Finally I came across these on ebay:

I had to buy two sets and the price was right! I also picked up some clear tubing to go along as well:

This will all attach onto two Eheim Pro II 2028 (one of which I just placed and order for and should be here along with (2) 300 w. Hydor In-line heaters too).

I also ordered some really nice driftwood (I talked about in one of my prior posts) and for $35 this is what you will get:

I took all of the pieces out to inspect them:

Here are some close ups:

Note the beautiful color and variation when wet:

Here are some of the stones I plan on using in the bottom:

Here is my tank as of this moment, my empty shrine:

I will keep this thread updated along with the progress. I would love to put water in it right now, but without heaters it would be senseless. My current stocklist will be as follows:

6 Domestic Browns
    3 Albino Alenquers
    2 Golden Sunrise
    25 Rummynose tetras
    8 Corys Sterbai

If anyone has any comments or suggestions, feel free to post them! Hope this will be as enjoyable for you as it will be for me!
    Renee'
    Today I'm feeling:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO-qS0DvBgE

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: My empty shrine (pics)

that looks awesome Renee'. seems like you have spent a shiny penny on this setup. i like the background you chose to go with, it's interesting and i can't wait to see it setup with water in the tank. also, where did you get that great looking driftwood for $35? link? hope you get everything in soon so we can see it up and running? where are you getting your discus stock?

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

If it wasn't for the Windex bottle, the tank looks small empty lol. Everything looks like it's going to turn out VERY nice! Good luck!

Anthony

Great job Renee.. will be an awesome tank. Are you putting silica pool filter sand in that tank ?? Are you putting a black background on the tank ?? I didn't understand that part.. Black is really bad for discus as you may well know.. Induces fish to stay dark, show strips and peppering.. Light blue is the best..Otherwise should be awesome !!! Rummy nose and sterbai are great choices to go with that biotope..
    Presently, I am setting up a 90 gl. with the sand and driftwood for 7 adult wild greens.. Can't wait.. Eventually I'll return my 9 adolphi corys to that tank but that's it.. david T

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    that looks awesome Renee'. seems like you have spent a shiny penny on this setup. i like the background you chose to go with, it's interesting and i can't wait to see it setup with water in the tank. also, where did you get that great looking driftwood for $35? link? hope you get everything in soon so we can see it up and running? where are you getting your discus stock?

lol... believe it or not, I didn't pay a dime for the tank! Most of the money spent was buying another filter and the two heaters... and everything was bought over time...

I bought the driftwood from a companyhttp://manzanita.com/ I bought the pack of 12 pieces, and they actually sent me 17 pieces! The wood is outside soaking as we speak... and I'm going to try and piece it together to look like roots..
    Last edited by FLGirl1977; 02-03-2009 at 04:49 PM.
    Renee'
    Today I'm feeling:

Quote Originally Posted by dpt8 View Post
    Great job Renee.. will be an awesome tank. Are you putting silica pool filter sand in that tank ?? Are you putting a black background on the tank ?? I didn't understand that part.. Black is really bad for discus as you may well know.. Induces fish to stay dark, show strips and peppering.. Light blue is the best..Otherwise should be awesome !!! Rummy nose and sterbai are great choices to go with that biotope..
    Presently, I am setting up a 90 gl. with the sand and driftwood for 7 adult wild greens.. Can't wait.. Eventually I'll return my 9 adolphi corys to that tank but that's it.. david T
    Hey David, in the second picture posted, the background that I used is an opaque background... its actually an adhesive that you put on your windows for privacy, but still lets light in (Most people use it on their bathroom windows, etc) you can't really see it on my tank very well because of the wall color, but it will blur out some of the cords, etc.

As for sand, I will be using some pool filter silica sand (that's currently what I'm using in my other tank and I love it!).
    Renee'
    Today I'm feeling:

Awesome job !! Thanks for the extra info. :9) David

Wow Renee,

I agree, a shrine in fact! Can't wait to see those beauties in there. Nice looking wood pieces. Might have to place an order.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member Darren's Discus's Avatar

Renee,
    looking good,for the lucky new occupants 6 Domestic Browns,3 Albino Alenquers,2 Golden Sunrise,25 Rummynose tetras,8 Corys Sterbai ,should look great.

cheers
    Darren Burgess
    Townsville Queensland Australia
    townsvillerocks@gmail.com

everything looks great...does the Manzanita wood sink after you've soaked it? I thought it floated?

Nice!!!
    I would do all domestic Browns and more rummys If it was mine

Love 4' 120g, but they are not available as a regular order here only 150 extra highs (same footprint but 30" tall)
    When science and magic collide, the story begins.

Quote Originally Posted by aquagal View Post
    everything looks great...does the Manzanita wood sink after you've soaked it? I thought it floated?
    Yeah, it floats... it's out soaking right now. Definitely more dense of a wood than grapewood though... even if it doesn't sink right away, the way I'm going to put it in my tank it really won't matter.

Also, I did think about only 1 strain, but I fell in love with the albino alenquers and I've always admired the yellow discus--so the golden sunrises were perfect!

BTW, the albinos and the goldens just arrived today and are acclimating really well. They are absolutely stunning... I love the alenqers the most... All I can say is WOW!
    Renee'
    Today I'm feeling:

Wow Renee' beautiful tank and set up. I love the wood and the background. Where did you end up getting the fish from? I want to see pic's when you get the fish settled in.

We just picked up a beautiful 110 tall with a wood stand and have been sanding and staining the stand. We are waiting on filters, heaters, air pump's and all the good stuff to get it going. Although we will probably transfere some of the fish from our other tanks, we are looking to pick up a few more. We haven't decided what we want yet or where to get them from.

Wish you all the best with the tank and fish.

Cathy
    Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. Mahatma Gandhi

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by FLGirl1977 View Post
    Yeah, it floats... it's out soaking right now. Definitely more dense of a wood than grapewood though... even if it doesn't sink right away, the way I'm going to put it in my tank it really won't matter.

Also, I did think about only 1 strain, but I fell in love with the albino alenquers and I've always admired the yellow discus--so the golden sunrises were perfect!

BTW, the albinos and the goldens just arrived today and are acclimating really well. They are absolutely stunning... I love the alenqers the most... All I can say is WOW!
    you have to post pictures when they settle in Renee'

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Question Re: My empty shrine (pics)

Oh yes please pics we love pics AND how do you clean your silica sand, does it get sucked up when you siphon? I want to go to it but wondered how to clean it properly. Heiko Bleher tells me it is essential to discus so I would like to do it too. Any advice gratefully accepted. Kath.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast