ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My empty shrine (pics)

Real Name
    Discus Hans

Default Re: My empty shrine (pics)

Quote Originally Posted by FLGirl1977 View Post
    Looks like one of his dorsal spines was damaged during shipping... hopefully it will heal or go back to normal?
    Those don't damage in shipping and it's one of the hard spines, they won't grow back,

Hans
    I've changed the Discus World.
    Visit our online store at: www.discusfishstore.com
    All advice I give, is because I've good results with it, you're free to copy it. It's not a rule, it's just my way. Ohhhh and don't take me serious, I'm most of the time kidding

Registered Member captain morgan's Avatar

Glad to see your doing a journal on this tank setup Renee, these are always my favorite reads. Looks like you got quite a nice bundle of wood for only $35. And the color of it when wet looks amazing. Now I want to get rid of my bogwood and place the same order as yours. With white sand substrate and those new discus you have this is going to be one sweet tank you"ll have. Can't wait to see the finished aquascape. Hope you"ll be doing some plants as well. Keep the pics and journal going, looking forward to the next chapter.
    Cheers
    Captain Morgan

Thanks Captain Morgan, glad you like the thread.

Here are a couple of pictures I just took this evening after arranging the driftwood. Not sure if it will stay this way once water is added, my guess is that it will still float for a bit since I soaked it but had to try it out again to put it together the way you see here...

If it stays this way once it sinks properly, I will be very happy with the results. My other canister and two in-line heaters should be here tomorrow, so I'm hoping to have some water in here by tomorrow evening. Maybe get some rummynoses by Wednesday and have the cories by Friday.
    Renee'
    Today I'm feeling:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO-qS0DvBgE

Registered Member
    From Chicago, Central Michigan University during the school year.

Love the tank and love the setup. If it were me, I would love to see a big school of cardinal tetras!

Real Name
    Ricardo

Thanks Captain Morgan, glad you like the thread.

Here are a couple of pictures I just took this evening after arranging the driftwood. Not sure if it will stay this way once water is added, my guess is that it will still float for a bit since I soaked it but had to try it out again to put it together the way you see here...

If it stays this way once it sinks properly, I will be very happy with the results. My other canister and two in-line heaters should be here tomorrow, so I'm hoping to have some water in here by tomorrow evening. Maybe get some rummynoses by Wednesday and have the cories by Friday.
    hey Renee is that one of the pieces that you got for 35 dollars? if so, i would have paid 35 for that piece alone. i honestly get lost on that website and i do not know which you went with. i might call tomorrow just to verify

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member
    From Chicago, Central Michigan University during the school year.

I was wondering what the shipping costs were like on those pieces of driftwood.

Quote Originally Posted by cmich View Post
    I was wondering what the shipping costs were like on those pieces of driftwood.

For the 12 peices it was $15 for a 24'' box, but it might vary depending on your zip code.

Hey Rick-- those are a few of the peices put together with stainless steel screws to make it look like that. Just call tomorrow, he should be able to help you out. If you look on the website under aquarium wood, it's the 12 peice set: http://manzanita.com/aqwood.htm Scroll down and you will see the '12 peices *'

HTH...
    Last edited by FLGirl1977; 02-09-2009 at 06:41 AM.
    Renee'
    Today I'm feeling:

Renee, it looks good. A few of the little branches look pointy though, its hard to tell. If they are I'd try to blunt the tips as much as possible or even remove some of them, to avoid the Discus injuring themselves on sharp points. We wouldn't want to see impaled Discus-a-bobs, now would we?
    Connie
    So Many Fish... So Little Tank Space

Thanks for the suggestion Connie, I went and snipped off the tips on the sharp edges and tried to wear them down a bit.
    Renee'
    Today I'm feeling:

Real Name
    Ricardo

Thanks for the suggestion Connie, I went and snipped off the tips on the sharp edges and tried to wear them down a bit.
    thanks for the reply, i see it now. i thought it was one huge piece but now i see you put them together, clever. i will do the same, i might go with the next one up though since i need to fill out a lot in my tank

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

You're welcome, Renee. When do the hydor's come? Is that all you're waiting for?
    Connie

They just came today along with the additional canister. Looks like we will try and hook everything up this evening. Hopefully I can get enough water from my RO by then!
    Renee'
    Today I'm feeling:

We're setting up bits and pieces tonight, not getting as much accomplished as I was originally hoping, but then again... I always think something isn't going to take as long as it normally should.

Bad news though, when we received the new eheim today (ordered online), the locking bar of the adaptor was broken into three pieces. It's still usable... but disappointing to say the least. The fact that it will still function makes me not want to return the canister for not wanting to wait two weeks longer.

Also, let me say that those intakes/outputs are a pain to try and work with on this size of a tank. The area where the first suction cup goes (fixed, cannot be adjusted) hits right where the frame of the tank is, so we'll have to work around that. I'll take pictures so you see what I'm talking about. Also, the length of the intakes for inside the tank leave much to be desired (they only make it down half-way). When you purchase the largest one, it says that they're made for tanks over 100 gallons, but apparently not a deeper tank like this one. Let's just put it this way, if I find another intake or output down the road that's clear or can figure a way to make a DIY, these will be gone. They're nice, but I'm thinking still on solutions for some of the problems.

So, the update right now is that the tank is sitting half-full and awaits for us to work on it some more tomorrow... maybe then.
    Renee'
    Today I'm feeling:

We're setting up bits and pieces tonight, not getting as much accomplished as I was originally hoping, but then again... I always think something isn't going to take as long as it normally should.

Bad news though, when we received the new eheim today (ordered online), the locking bar of the adaptor was broken into three pieces. It's still usable... but disappointing to say the least. The fact that it will still function makes me not want to return the canister for not wanting to wait two weeks longer.

Also, let me say that those intakes/outputs are a pain to try and work with on this size of a tank. The area where the first suction cup goes (fixed, cannot be adjusted) hits right where the frame of the tank is, so we'll have to work around that. I'll take pictures so you see what I'm talking about. Also, the length of the intakes for inside the tank leave much to be desired (they only make it down half-way). When you purchase the largest one, it says that they're made for tanks over 100 gallons, but apparently not a deeper tank like this one. Let's just put it this way, if I find another intake or output down the road that's clear or can figure a way to make a DIY, these will be gone. They're nice, but I'm thinking still on solutions for some of the problems.

So, the update right now is that the tank is sitting half-full and awaits for us to work on it some more tomorrow... maybe then.
    Sounds great Renee, the tank looks awesome! Sorry to hear about the filter and tubes. Hope everything works out.

Good luck
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Yes, it always seems to take longer than you think it would to get these things done. You think oh, maybe about 2 hours, and before you know it, the whole day has gone by! Too bad about the filter pieces and the intake/output. I'm going to check my basement because I have some vague recollection of buying an intake tube and an output that were clear plastic but I still haven't set up what I was going to use them for -- its only been about 2 years now... I might have info about where I bought them.

Think it'll all be up and running by Feb. 20? I hope so.
    Connie

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast