AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: The Mythical 8" Discus

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Greg Biggiani

Default Re: The Mythical 8" Discus

IMG_2797 (1).jpg

These are my 8inch+ leopard snakes from Stendker. The fish at the bottom is right is an adult 6.5inch leopard snake that is currently raising fry.... just for size reference.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Liz

One of our local aquatic stores has a large display tank including 6 or so very big discus... some of them i'm sure are pretty much 8" inch or dang close to it. They are Stendkers.

Registered Member

I was pretty sure some of those I seen at NADA this year had to be awful close. Some were much bigger than saucers and just shy of dinner plates....MONSTERS some were.

Registered Member

I once saw a blue diamond pair in a store that was 8-9 inches body size without fins... I couldnt believe they were even discus... in fact they were so big it looked abnormal to me you could see those body lines that blue diamonds tend to show more and they looked like stretch marks. Like they were some juiced up muscle freak in the gym... Honestly i prefer my discus normal sizes... 4-6 inches is fine for me.

The store wanted $350 each for them or 700$ for the pair
    Last edited by Candydiscus; 12-23-2016 at 07:20 PM.

Registered Member

u guys remember when kenny brought in those show quality reds a few years ago? at $800 each, but was some of the nicest and roundess discus i've ever seen. think they were around 7". if i had money at that time i would buy them in a heartbeat.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by nikond70s View Post
    u guys remember when kenny brought in those show quality reds a few years ago? at $800 each, but was some of the nicest and roundess discus i've ever seen. think they were around 7". if i had money at that time i would buy them in a heartbeat.
    Yeah, I remember the whole group being presold. That's how good they were

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

My fish are too big for a net
    i use this
    pf.jpg

Registered Member

700$ for a fish is ludacris IMO. even if i had the money i could think better things to spend it on then a single discus thats only 1-2 inches bigger then what i already have lol

Quote Originally Posted by Candydiscus View Post
    700$ for a fish is ludacris IMO. even if i had the money i could think better things to spend it on then a single discus thats only 1-2 inches bigger then what i already have lol
    look up some videos on koi, i stumbled upon some and thought...gheesh..Japanese people must have a LOT of money and REALLY like fish. $700 is nothing

Registered Member

i know its nothing.. but still.. anything over 100-150$ for any fish is too much money even discus..

Real Name
    Ricardo

i know its nothing.. but still.. anything over 100-150$ for any fish is too much money even discus..
    To a hobbyist $700 is a lot for a discus. For a breeder that knows what they want in their breeding program, $700 is a value buy. Just like any other animal prize breeding, lineage means something and genes sell.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    To a hobbyist $700 is a lot for a discus. For a breeder that knows what they want in their breeding program, $700 is a value buy. Just like any other animal prize breeding, lineage means something and genes sell.
    well put

Real Name
    Filip

This hobby like any other hobby is all about love and passion .
    I see nothing wrong in spending my hard earned cash on something that I really love .
    You can't put a price tag on passion and love

Registered Member

I agree, but i have so many hobbies proably more then most of you. That i cant spend my money on just one.. I mean im just as nuts anyone here.. I have 8 tanks in my house.. recently downsized 4 of them by putting em in storage or selling them.. but i got a 34 year old 135g tank. Re-sealed it, sanded down the angle iron stand and repainted it.. did all the work restoring it.. And i onlyspent $100 on the tank and stand, and maybe $60 on the silicone and paint. VS someone who tosses money away and spends $800 on a new 125g tank and stand. I've spent alot of money on discus.. but i refuse to spend more then $80 on a discus. You can buy nice discus for under $100 just have to find the right person . I also usually prefer buying babies myself and raising them myself.. Buying a fully grown discus is cool and saves time.. but it you dont get to see em grow up really.. Its like me and my car Hobby. I have 3 Jeeps, 1 is 30 years old i paid $4500 for it an old grand wagoneer wood panel Jeep.. I could have spent $15,000 on a mint condition one.. but why do that ? I bought a decent one and with the repairs im doing myself you learn more about the car then you ever will buying one where someone already did all the work.

Thats just my 2 cents of course
    Last edited by Candydiscus; 12-26-2016 at 03:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    This hobby like any other hobby is all about love and passion .
    I see nothing wrong in spending my hard earned cash on something that I really love .
    You can't put a price tag on passion and love
    umm..aren't you putting a price tag on it every time you buy stuff.... ; )
    Last edited by Jack L; 12-26-2016 at 04:21 PM.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast