ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Acclimating New Discus

Registered Member

Default Acclimating New Discus

Hello,

I recently purchased (3) 2" juvies and I have them acclimating in a 10g tank with a bare bottem.

I have a 150g that I plan on putting them in with 4 other discus of various size.

When should I consider moving the 3 new ones to the new tank. They are currently eating black worms and flakes, but appear very skittish.

Water changes - I live in the Detroit area and have relatively good water. Do I use tap water treated with prime to do the wc's or should I take water from the main tank, to keep them at a PH they will be familiar with

If the 10g is too small I can use a 30g but let me know if the 10g is OK for acclimating them b/4 putting them in the 150 or should I use the 30 for acclimating.

Thanks,
    Dan

Real Name
    Mike

Default Re: Acclimating New Discus

I'd say the larger tank (30g) may be better as you would want to watch these new ones in QT for at least a month to see if any visible illnesses pop up before you add them to your existing discus......maybe even grow them out for a while.
    Last edited by White Worm; 02-12-2009 at 01:05 PM.

Just my opinion..

Forget about putting them in the 150gal. Put the 3 in the 30gal and feed them at least 5 times a day. Since you are able to use tap water, do at least 50% of WC daily. You will be very happy after 6-9 months with the result. By that time, put them in the 150gal. Frequent WC of a 30gal is very managable. Before you realize it, you will end up with a few 30gal and will probably have no interest in the 150gal anymore.

The result will varies as it depends on where, strains and how old these 2" discus are.

Quote Originally Posted by vlam View Post
    Just my opinion..

Forget about putting them in the 150gal. Put the 3 in the 30gal and feed them at least 5 times a day. Since you are able to use tap water, do at least 50% of WC daily. You will be very happy after 6-9 months with the result. By that time, put them in the 150gal. Frequent WC of a 30gal is very managable. Before you realize it, you will end up with a few 30gal and will probably have no interest in the 150gal anymore.

The result will varies as it depends on where, strains and how old these 2" discus are.
    I agree with Vlam, grow them out in the 30, except that with 3 discus, you run a good chance that two will pick on one, the picked on one will die from stress, then of the two remaining, one will bully the other and in the end you could be left with only one discus. That's why its usually recommended to keep at least 5. Just keep an eye on things and see how it goes.
    Connie
    So Many Fish... So Little Tank Space