AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What does TDS stand for?

Default What does TDS stand for?

I know you are all probably LYAO but I have seen this in many threads and I have checked the new discus keepers guide and tds is not down as an abbreviation. So can someone tell me what it is and how do I test for it?

Registered Member

Default Re: What does TDS stand for?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wild View Post
    I know you are all probably LYAO but I have seen this in many threads and I have checked the new discus keepers guide and tds is not down as an abbreviation. So can someone tell me what it is and how do I test for it?
    TDS stands for Total Dissolved Solids, pretty much as it says how much dissolved solids are in your water, (I don't know exactly which solids it does test for though)

Usually most people use a TDS meter to get a reading, it can be in units like g/ml or microseimens.

Ok found a better explanation:

'The principal methods of measuring total dissolved solids are digital TDS meters and testers. These TDS testers (and meters) utilize an electrical conductivity reading through a detachable probe and they are considered the most effective and easy to use.

A TDS meter or TDS tester utilizes Electrical conductivity of water that is directly related to the concentration of dissolved ionized solids in the water. Ions from the dissolved solids in water create the ability for that water to conduct an electrical current which can be measured using conventional Milwaukee meters or testers. When correlated with laboratory TDS measurements, electrical conductivity provides an approximate value for the TDS concentration and is displayed as such on the TDS meter or TDS tester display as parts per million ( ppm ) concentrations and most Milwaukee testers and meters are usually to within +/- 2% accuracy.'

From http://www.milwaukeetesters.com/milwaukee-meters.html

Registered Member Elite Aquaria's Avatar

Total Dissolved Solids

TDS is total dissolved solids. This is anything besides H2O. Dissolved gases, organic matter etc. all add to higher TDS.

Reverse osmosis water should have a very low TDS reading or you may need to do some filter maintenance. My tap water comes out at 300 TDS. This may be why all of my discus eggs go white 1 day after they are laid. If I were wanting to have my discus breed I'd definitely mix r.o. with my tap to lower the TDS.

Default What does TDS stand for?

It's a measure of all the ions in solution in the water. Easiest way to test for it is by using a TDS meter. This measures the electrical conductivity of the water ( which is a function of TDS ). The results are usually given in ppm ( parts per million ).

Aaron

Ok , total dissolved solids...how do I test for that? So I know what my water has?

Quote Originally Posted by casw View Post
    My tap water comes out at 300 TDS. This may be why all of my discus eggs go white 1 day after they are laid. If I were wanting to have my discus breed I'd definitely mix r.o. with my tap to lower the TDS.
    Mine is also at 300 ppm. Coincidentally I have a wild pair that have laid eggs 3 times in the last month and all the eggs go white within a day or two. I had suspected that the male was infertile but maybe its just the hard water as you point out.

It's a measure of all the ions in solution in the water. Easiest way to test for it is by using a TDS meter. This measures the electrical conductivity of the water ( which is a function of TDS ). The results are usually given in ppm ( parts per million ).

Aaron
    Sorry Aaron I posts have crossed. Would the LFS have one of these meters or should I buy one and if so are they expensive?

Kath

PS I have a GH and KH test kit are we talking the same thing?
    Last edited by Mr Wild; 02-03-2009 at 06:22 PM.

I just bought one from Amazon a week ago to replace a broken one. $20... not bad.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002T6L5M

There are others out there of course. The one I had before looked similar but also had a digital temperature function which was useful.

Aaron

GH - General Hardness of water
    KH - Carbonate Hardness of water

Is that the same as TDS?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wild View Post
    GH - General Hardness of water
    KH - Carbonate Hardness of water

Is that the same as TDS?

no they only make up part of your tds..

Ahh OK thank you I will buy a meter then so I can measure my total dissolved solids and see what it is. See if I have the right stuff to have babies!
    Thanx Kath

Banned

No its part of it though

KH, carbonate hardness or alkalinity, is a measurement of the water's ability to buffer against an acid, to neutralize an acid. It will measure the carbonates and bicarbonates and espress them as calcium carbonate CaCO3. It cal also be called temporary hardness as it's a numbe that continually dropping as it's used up by the biological process taking place in the tank.

GH is a measurement of varying salts in the water but mainly calcium and magnesium..

TDS is a measurement of just about anything dissolved in it, but the water itself that. This includes minerals and salts, ...anything that's dissolved into the water. It's measured by conductivity so anything that has a positive or negative electrical charge

G

Bummer Amazon will not ship this to Australia!

Yep got one, thank you everyone for your replies I get it now! Kath

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast