AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Basshead's tuna/salmon mix

Default Basshead's tuna/salmon mix

I know there is sticky for this but I am getting daily request's on how to make this. I just thought I'd post it on it's own so people can either subscribe to the thread to keep it or see up front.

I will warn you....if you get them to take it, they will have a hard time trying another mix. Make it as often as possible to always have a stock. My fish are KILLING it like crazy.

Since I only have a small food processor, here is my seafood mix. It makes a good slab that lasts about 1 month since I feed my discus a variety of food. They tear this up though!

1 cup raw tuna (1/2 lb) figured out by Ibanez
    1/2 cup of sea salmon or Cod (1/4 lb) figured out by Ibanez
    4 shrimps
    4 clams
    1 tbsp ground pellets
    1/4 cup of Prime Reef flake
    1 tbsp liquid vitamins
    1/4 cup (now using boiled frozen spinach)
    1/2 extremely ripe banana
    1 crushed garlic clove
    1/4 tsp paprika

I just throw everything into the food processor and viola! It has some small bits still visible. Maybe 30-45 seconds max. Then I plop everything in a sandwich size freezer bag and throw it in the freezer. Once frozen, I tear the bag off the block and place it on a chopping board. I cut the block into nice cubes, about the size of a FBW cube and then put all the cubes into a freezer bag and place it in the freezer. It's easy to just grab a cube and throw it in the tank.

PS. You can add or substitute items but I keep the tuna and salmon every mix. Did one today using peas instead of spinach, I just mashed the peas in a strainer to not have the out shells in the mix. The fish are murdering it as well.
    Eddie
    Last edited by Eddie; 02-28-2009 at 11:57 PM.
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Default Re: Basshead's tuna/salmon mix

Ok I have a question, when you say raw tuna you mean you go to a seafood shop and buy raw tuna and salmon? Or is the tinned stuff ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wild View Post
    Ok I have a question, when you say raw tuna you mean you go to a seafood shop and buy raw tuna and salmon? Or is the tinned stuff ok?
    Raw tuna, freshly cut and the salmon too. Just like you get from behind the counter at the food market.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

oooewww that means I have to touch it yuk. I do not eat seafood at all, ahh well if it helps them I will try it.

oooewww that means I have to touch it yuk. I do not eat seafood at all, ahh well if it helps them I will try it.
    No, you don't really have to touch it. If you can get the butcher to cut the pieces, they only need to be cut to fit in the food processor. In the end, you just flip a ziploc bag inside out, stick your hand in it and then scoop everything out into the palm of your hand (bag still around your hand). Then you flip it back to being right side out and flatten and seal it. You won't even get your hands dirty. Better yet, buy some gloves. LOL

Kath, trust me, when the buggers get a taste for it, you will have to start making it by the kilo!

Forrest's new arrivals are devouring this stuff! They are gonna grow like weeds and you mark my word, WEEDS!!!

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

Oh yes good idea I have a box of those disposable gloves I use them for the sheep.

Yep I can do that, I can handle that! Got to get this one to live yet though!

Oh yes good idea I have a box of those disposable gloves I use them for the sheep.

Yep I can do that, I can handle that! Got to get this one to live yet though!
    Good luck Kath

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by basshead View Post
    Good luck Kath

Eddie
    i was going to the market today and forgot that i didn't have bananas!...dogh! so i shall wait until the banana i bought today becomes black and i will go out and buy everything. thanks for the post again, i had it subscribed under another thread but it's nice to have one specifically for it with instructions on how to do it. i'm taking over the wife's magic bullet to mix it... ha ha ha

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

sunny Kelowna in wine country the Okanagan Valley (Canada's answer to Napa Valley).

I will try your 'discus delight'. Thanks, Eddie. I just ran through a few threads regarding the addition of fruit into the heckel diet, no real conclusions, lotsa good comments though. Anybody got a 'grow-em-big' beefheart recipe they can share?

claire

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    i was going to the market today and forgot that i didn't have bananas!...dogh! so i shall wait until the banana i bought today becomes black and i will go out and buy everything. thanks for the post again, i had it subscribed under another thread but it's nice to have one specifically for it with instructions on how to do it. i'm taking over the wife's magic bullet to mix it... ha ha ha
    Hey Ricardo,

Quick and easy way to ripen a banana, place it in a brown paper bag with an apple or tomato. Close the bag up and after a few days, it should be ripe but I like to leave it longer until the peel is brown.

Claire,

My heckels kill my mix and whether or not the banana helps, I don't know but they sure do love it! Also, tuna is higher in protein content than beefheart I believe. I know Cod is also. Not saying beefheart isn't good because it is definitely a super food for discus. If I had alot of tanks, beefheart would be much more cost effective than fresh tuna. I like to pamper my guys and gals. Also, for me, fresh caught fish is easy to get in Japan.

Eddie
    Last edited by Eddie; 02-11-2009 at 04:31 AM.
    Visit Eddie's Place

I am one of those that have msg'd Eddie several times with questions. My first and only try so far is going well. I stuck to the recipe and have one tank that eats it and another that picks, only two days feeding it so far. I might use some cod next time too as it is high in protein. One thing I noticed it does stay together well, maybe I need to spread it around more, and the mixture is a thick paste, does it need to be wetter and more loose? I followed Eddie's recipe to the letter BTW. Thanks again Eddie,it seems to be going along....
    Mark

Registered Member diamond_discus's Avatar

Eddie :

Do you recommend mixing in beefheart as well ? I like to add more shrimp to replace the bannana. The shrimp seems to be able to help getting everything stick together ?

My first and only mix two weeks ago was simply beefheart, raw shrimp and some garlic.

Registered Member

eddie,

is it ok to use the forzen cod or tuna?

Fresh tuna,mackerl,cod or salmon no frozen or canned

And remember to get the skins removed from the fish at the store. When I told the fish guy what I was using it for, he made the usual " I wish I was a fish at your house" remark, so just order and don't tell.
    Mark

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast