ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Basshead's tuna/salmon mix

Registered Member

Default Re: Basshead's tuna/salmon mix

Have made it too and my fish LOVE it!! Every fish tank in my household is getting it, my husband's Oranda's and Ryukin's, even my turtle. It gets devoured!

I love the constistency as well. It doesn't disintegrates in the water.

I was a little worried about the price of the freah tuna, but found that fresh albacore tuna is less expensive than fresh ahi tuna ( usually eat raw ahi). So the price was reasonable.

Julie

Hey all,

Thanks for the remarks, it is definitely a growth food, you will see it in even just a short time. I might add that I do many small feedings all day long, keeping their bellies full and changing 100% water everyday.

The thickness or binding of the mix is what I like best. Once the fish start tearing at it, it doesn't just disintegrate all over the place. Keeping it in together allows the fish to actually get some.

You can substitute any of the ingredients as mentioned. I like to keep it all seafood but you can definitely use beefheart or add more shrimp and less banana. I don't know if it's the crushed garlic in the food but it just puts my fish into a frenzy! Sharks would be scared!

Glad you are all having success. Every batch is different

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wild View Post
    oooewww that means I have to touch it yuk. I do not eat seafood at all, ahh well if it helps them I will try it.

WOW!

Joe

Registered Member

I hope we are all using white albacore tuna. The blue fin tuna population is devastated and will likely not be able to make a comeback. Also, I hope we are using Alaska wild caught salmon for the same reason, population depleation. We are all fish lovers here. Every little bit helps.....sorry I am a marine bio major/environmentalist/animal rights activist.

Quote Originally Posted by Dischris View Post
    I hope we are all using white albacore tuna. The blue fin tuna population is devastated and will likely not be able to make a comeback. Also, I hope we are using Alaska wild caught salmon for the same reason, population depleation. We are all fish lovers here. Every little bit helps.....sorry I am a marine bio major/environmentalist/animal rights activist.
    I actually use yellow fin Ahi tuna. And the salmon......might be from Alaska.

I'm going fishing again here in a week so should be bringing home tons of Ahi. Seafood mix for life!

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

Well just put my first batch in the freezer. I pretty much kept with Eddie's recipe, only difference is I added a little carrot, and used a regular multi vitamin crushed. Cant wait to see how it does...

OH! I almost forgot, I bought all my ingredients immediately before making. SO, the banana's were no where near black or well ripened, actually more green. I was NOT about to wait. SO here's a little trick I tried and was successful... Put the banana in the oven for a few minutes, it will ripen, turn dark (not from burnt) and get that gooey consistency!
    Last edited by Ibanez540r; 02-12-2009 at 10:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibanez540r View Post
    Well just put my first batch in the freezer. I pretty much kept with Eddie's recipe, only difference is I added a little carrot, and used a regular multi vitamin crushed. Cant wait to see how it does...

OH! I almost forgot, I bought all my ingredients immediately before making. SO, the banana's were no where near black or well ripened, actually more green. I was NOT about to wait. SO here's a little trick I tried and was successful... Put the banana in the oven for a few minutes, it will ripen, turn dark (not from burnt) and get that gooey consistency!
    LOL, thats so funny! I did the same thing once but I used the microwave. I just cut the banana on both ends and sliced it long ways. Then I laid them down so soft banana side down and peel was facing up. Only about 3 minutes and made a nice caramelized banana. Scooped the banana into the food processor. Worked like a charm! Good tip, both options work!

You will see how your discus loose it over this stuff. My fish basically try jumping out of the tank to get it!

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

Registered Member
    Real Name
    YX

I gave up on beefheart in my planted tank because it was splitting up, getting caught in my filter and in the plants and going bad, thus creating an infestation of worms. Is this formula ok for planted/decorated tanks or for bare tanks only?

Quote Originally Posted by illumnae View Post
    I gave up on beefheart in my planted tank because it was splitting up, getting caught in my filter and in the plants and going bad, thus creating an infestation of worms. Is this formula ok for planted/decorated tanks or for bare tanks only?
    I used it in my sand bottom community tank for a few months but I did remove all the sand because I feed my fish 10 times a day. I am sure if you feed less, you can do well with it. Also, some bottom dwellers such as corys do a good job of cleaning up. The vital part of the mix to keep it binding well is the ripe banana. Someone else posted that it bound almost too well. I have not found it to bind too well at all. Take a look at the video I posted in the simply sponsors section called "Forrest's fish video". You can tell whether or not it will be too messy. My fish leave nothing behind.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=68888

HTH
    Eddie
    Last edited by Eddie; 02-13-2009 at 12:57 AM.
    Visit Eddie's Place

Registered Member

how do we measure a 1 cup of raw tuna? im just confused..

is this mix good for the pair also?

It's not exact in the measurement of 1 cup, but you can use a 1 cup measure cup and fill it with as much tuna chunks as possible, even overflowing if you want. It's entirely up to you, just don't skimp on the fish.

The mix is good for every thing that will eat it. I know Julie (Frenchie100) feeds it to all her fish and even her turtle.

Eddie
    Last edited by Eddie; 02-13-2009 at 05:01 AM.
    Visit Eddie's Place

So, I'm being honest when I ask this but what is the difference if I ask the butcher for tuna and salmon and getting it from a can?? I'm really not sure...

I want to FINALLY make this mix for my guys but when I read that I was supposed to go to the butcher to ask for the tuna, I started to get confused.

A while back when you originally posted this mix, I was just gonna use canned food. What is the difference?

Also, I'm still stuck using a blender as I do not have a food processor. Is this going to hurt me?

I know Chris from Windy City makes a Beef Heart mix and a Turkey Heart Mix that he feeds his Discus. I might just bug him for food Hopefully he'll sell me some.

Right now I buy a Beef Heart mix from somebody but I want to make my own. Or at least make my own seafood mix....................

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post

Also, I'm still stuck using a blender as I do not have a food processor. Is this going to hurt me?
    we are in the same boat Anthony

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

The only thing I have is a "Bulllet." I don't know if this is the same thing or not. To me, it's like a miniature blender.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
    The only thing I have is a "Bulllet." I don't know if this is the same thing or not. To me, it's like a miniature blender.
    lol, i have the same thing and i asked Eddie if it would work...he mentioned your name, lol. i was waiting for you to try it in the bullet to see if it would work.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast