ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Monster gets its first ever Wigglers!! x2

Default The Monster gets its first ever Wigglers!! x2

Well this morning when I came down to check on the eggs. I didnt see any under the leaf. just a few wigglers!! then I checked the eggs on the glass, and a few were wiggling out! the ones under the leaf were out totally. I am so excited. I am not sure if they will make it. I need some assistance on what to expect next since this is a community tank and not a breeder tank or a GB for that matter.
    Here is a picture of some of the wigglers under the leaf.

Here is a picture of the eggs/wigglers on the glass.

Mostly discus suggested a plexiglass barrier with holes. I am tending to lean towards that. But I may already be too late to do that. I really wasnt expecting them to hatch at all! Who would of thought that 2 of my four pair would lay eggs and hatch at the same time in a community tank! I didnt.
    I guess I need to start reading up on the 'breeding' side of caring for discus. what a rush! thanks for any tips or advise, I welcome them.
    have a great weekend.

you can see the one female guarding the eggs in the live video stream!
    http://www.ustream.tv/channel/200-gallon-fish-tank

Jon
    http://www.jongrove.com/jon/?cat=3
    My Monster Tank blog with 'live' video
    -don't take anything I say seriously, or as expert advise. Its just my humble opinion.

Default Re: The Monster gets its first ever Wigglers!! x2

Thats awesome Jon, good luck with the babies.

Take care,
    Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

Congrats on the wigglers Jon!...Would be a good idea to try and put a divider in there...BUT..if you can't...here is what I have done a few times that worked. If you have a extra tank for them, set it up with the same water and temp. as what they are in now. Use a LOT of their old water. Get the extra tank to the same temp. I usually wait until all the eggs hatch and are turned into wigglers. That's when I transfer the parents and fry to their new tank. Siphon the wigglers out with a turkey baster. I usually then squirt the wigglers in the calmest corner of the tank on the bottom, all together. The pair will usually move them where they want them. I have had limited luck with dividers...but this has ALWAYS worked for me. The pair just seem to get so attatched to the wigglers, that the move usually does not bother them...Bill

Looks good Obby, If you are going to try and raise babies for real, then do as Bill suggested and get another tank. At least now we know that tank is discus worthy haha

Ed

thanks for the advise guys. I dont have an extra tank (yet). and I guess they dont have a strong chance for survival. I guess I can keep my fingers crossed and maybe in the next few weeks or months I can get it set-up for when or if they lay eggs again. Ill keep you posted on the progress of these guys.
    -don't take anything I say seriously, or as expert advise. Its just my humble opinion.

The ones that broke free on the glass were moved to a nearby leaf. There are about 40-50 that made it. I cant see the other ones in the center of the tank. but she is guarding something!

Registered Member

I'd run out to PetSmart and pick up a 20H...ASAP!...BILL

More like Edsmart. I have all he needs to set something up. Its here if he wants it.

haha, Edsmart!! good one.
    here is a pic of them thru the leaf, sorry its only a shadow, but you can at least see they are doing well, (so far!). If it wasnt valentines day, I would be over driving to your house brother!

Quote Originally Posted by William Palumbo View Post
    I'd run out to PetSmart and pick up a 20H...ASAP!...BILL
    John Boy, Petco has 20 gallon high tanks on sale now for $31.99. Go out and get yourself one !

Bob

Well, here is the update. The wigglers in the center are now free swimming. looks like the female and male are doing a great job of rounding them up and putting them back on the plant [Myrio pinnatum]. The wigglers on the broad leaf [Cryptocoryne wendtii] are still doing well. It looks like I didnt loose any from last night. The parents are doing a great job of keeping anything that moves away from them. Thats about all for now.
    I know I should really get a second tank. But I think I am going to have to settle for a divider. I hope i can get out of the house today and get it up asap.
    The wife is meeting a with an old high school girlfriend today and Its just me and the two year old son!

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy1969 View Post
    Well, here is the update. The wigglers in the center are now free swimming. looks like the female and male are doing a great job of rounding them up and putting them back on the plant [Myrio pinnatum]. The wigglers on the broad leaf [Cryptocoryne wendtii] are still doing well. It looks like I didnt loose any from last night. The parents are doing a great job of keeping anything that moves away from them. Thats about all for now.
    I know I should really get a second tank. But I think I am going to have to settle for a divider. I hope i can get out of the house today and get it up asap.
    The wife is meeting a with an old high school girlfriend today and Its just me and the two year old son!
    Bring him with you! My 14 month old loves the LFS.

Goodluck with the babies Jon,

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Well the wife got home a bit later then expected. The first group of wigglers went free swimming and didnt last long.
    I put a destress signal out and she showed up. I wasnt given a go for another tank in the basement so I went to Home Depot and set up a make shift barrier out of fiberglass screen. So far its doing its job.
    here is a picture of the tank with the new temporary barrier. You can also see my make shift web cam holder in front of the tank

here is a picture of the remaining wigglers on the leaf. at least these guys are in one of the corners so it was easy to block off this end of the tank.

thanks for the private msgs and emails.
    this has been a real good learning experience.

Ok this is looking great but if I did that the water would not be filtered? Any idea there guys/gals. I guess just drop in a sponge filter?

Mrs. Wild down Undaa, I think he has a spray bar that goes all the way cross the tank M8. BTW you may have 2 females, your MR Wild and the yellow.

EdSmart, hint hint Obby....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast