ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Monster gets its first ever Wigglers!! x2

Default Re: The Monster gets its first ever Wigglers!! x2

I have a spray bar that goes across the entire back of the tank and one overflow/return box in each of the back corners. Filtering is not a problem.

thanks for the offer to Edsmart!! Im heading to herndon tomorrow I might have to stop by!
    http://www.jongrove.com/jon/?cat=3
    My Monster Tank blog with 'live' video
    -don't take anything I say seriously, or as expert advise. Its just my humble opinion.

The wigglers survived the night and it looks like the barrier is working (for now). I am guessing they will go free swimming sometime today. Let see if they find the right place to land!

Last edited by jonboy1969; 02-16-2009 at 09:35 AM. Reason: added a picture
    -don't take anything I say seriously, or as expert advise. Its just my humble opinion.

Well, I found two free swimming around the heads of the parents this morning! Looks like they wont get picked off by the 'others'! The majority are still wiggling on the leaf, I wish I could stay home and watch them all day!
    I may be over reacting but this is the first time in my 30 years of having/keeping fish and or plant tanks that Ive gotten to this stage.

Registered Member

I know what you're feeling! I get the same way watching Discus pairs tend/feed the fry. Even tho I seen it before...it still facinates me to watch. I feel every Discus hobbyist should experience that. It is for sure one of the most amazing sites in freshwater fish. Congrats on your free swimmer...Bill

Well here is the update, The wigglers turned into swimmers at the same time I dropped in the morning chow of Frozen Brine Shrimp. They exploded off the leaf and the parents were all over trying to round them up!! They did a pretty good job and have them cornered in the top corner of the tank right now. So far so good. Not sure what to expect next. guess I have some reading to do.
    here is a pic of some of the action.

cool, thanks for the update Jon.

you use that canon powershot?

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

I did use the powerShot!
    It really shows the dark brown/green tint to the water. It was crystal clear until I added a (large) peice of driftwood a few weeks ago. Im not sure I like the tint, but the fish dont seem to mind. I don't like doing drastic things when it looks like all is going well.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy1969 View Post
    I did use the powerShot!
    It really shows the dark brown/green tint to the water. It was crystal clear until I added a (large) peice of driftwood a few weeks ago. Im not sure I like the tint, but the fish dont seem to mind. I don't like doing drastic things when it looks like all is going well.
    Looks good, understand what you mean about the changes. The fish seem to like it...

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Looks like you have a decent amount there. G8 job Obby. Nice to see that male with offspring.

Ed

Just checked out the live cam.... I can see the little fry swiming around them.. good stuff. Now I can sit here with my cup of coffee instead of hitting my fish room(work room) downstairs. haha

Registered Member

Discus LOVE the stuff that leeches out from natural driftwoods and peat. It's usually the owners who second guess it. Once the fry are feeding off the parents...just sit back and enjoy. Not much else to do. Probally a week later or sooner, you can hatch out BBS to supplement their slime coat feeding. Nice pics BTW...Bill

Thanks for the reply's Im really excited and working from home today just so I can check on them!! Any idea on how long till they start feeding off the parents?

Well the bad news is.... The lights when out last night for about 15 mins. The fry scattered and now this morning there are only 5 left. After the lights came back on the fry were all over the place the parents were trying their best at getting the rounded up. Im not 100% sure what was going on, but this is a HUGE learning experience. DONT let the lights go out!! especially in a planted community tank! I still have hope for the final 5. Thats the update from this morning.
    Last edited by jonboy1969; 02-18-2009 at 09:45 AM. Reason: updated the count from 3 to 5!

Registered Member

Sorry to hear that Jonboy...It never crossed my mind to mention that. As you see, it's always best to leave the lights on. I leave my lights on 24/7...but a small nite lite can serve the purpose as well...There is always next time...Bill

sometime the best learning experiences are the ones that you make the biggest mistakes

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast