AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Most expensive fish?

Registered Member

Default Re: Most expensive fish?

Quote Originally Posted by KDodds View Post
    Well, if you stay away from the "show stuff" (individual fish purchased at ridiculously high prices by collectors or breeders) and stick with it just on a species to species basis, I've seen Clarion Angels go for over $6,000 in my LFS. Gemmatum Tangs are usually up there too, over $3,000. And, of course, deepwater species like Peppermint Angels can go for well over $10,000.
    Mostly for their "rarity". The Clarion Angel has a very small range and limited collection is allowed. The Gemmatum Tang has a wider range, but there aren't many of them, so they're also a rare sight in LFSs. The Peppermint Angel is a deepwater species, only recently discovered actually by deepwater diver Richard Pyle, and its collection and bringing to sale is complicated and costly, so even if it were common, it would still be "rare". There are plenty of more affordable alternatives to any of these actually. While they may not "look the same", they're "close enough".

Banned

Overall Koi are the most expensive of the ornamental fish. Fish that win the All Japan Show, the largest koi show in the world, regularly sell for over a $100K.

A couple of fish that have won the British Koi Keepers Assc were also over $100K.

Back in 2005 I got ''recruited'' to help a very wealthy koi owner in Florida bag and move 7 fish to the show in Orlando, since he had no idea what he was doing. The purchase price of the 7 fish was just over $400K.

When he got to the show a dealer delievered a new fish for him (pictured) that was $72K....when money is not an object

Don't I wish I was in that tax bracket, my most expensive fish was only $2000
    Last edited by Graham; 08-25-2009 at 10:27 PM.

Registered Member

I remember seeing spotted discus for sale at somethingsphyshy for $800 each. I wonder if anyone bought some?

Real Name
    Walter

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-Hans View Post
    Funny Walter, we just had an order for Discus from the Atlanta aquarium and because it was 11 boxes a friend drove them down for me. He always wanted to see the "behind the scene" of the aquarium. He got a tour in the quarantine of the Atlanta Aquarium and there they had a tank with I don't know how many of them. Confiscated at the airport,

Hans
    I hope the AA will put them on display! They are nice looking (Although some people say it looks like they are sticking their tongue out).

Walter
    Walter

When you say Atlanta Aquarium, do you mean Georgia Aquarium with the whale shark exhibit? Or is there another one?

I was there a couple years ago and they had some really nice large severums. They also had an altum angel tank, but the fish didn't look very healthy in it.

It was a great place to visit, though, and I'd love to go back if I felt like making the 8 hour drive. Maybe a discus exhibit would be a good reason to go.

Registered Member

Ryan,
    It is the Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta. They have a great South American Cichlid tank. Huge. Many species guarding fry in hollowed out sand holes. The largest and nicest Cichlids Iv'e ever seen of many different species. I just went yesterday. Discus exhibit had no fish yet.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by basshead View Post
    Arawonas and rays go for well over $9000.00 here in Japan and there are some other weird looking fish that look alot like a Bass that go for just as much.

Eddie
    You are talking about a peacock bass Eddie. I used to catch them in the everglades. They got released and have taken over. They sure do fight!.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusDude85 View Post
    You are talking about a peacock bass Eddie. I used to catch them in the everglades. They got released and have taken over. They sure do fight!

Joe
    Yup, those are them Joe! Thanks

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

The single most expensive fish in the world is a platinum arowana. The owner of a particular platinum Aro that was shown at Aquarama 2007 got an offer for $80,000, which the owner turned down. Later, the owner was offered $400,000 for it and turned down that offer also. It would have been the highest price ever recorded for an aquarium fish if he had taken the offer.

Kacey

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123