ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: HMF FILTER

Default Re: HMF FILTER

They do a great job showing all the details. Best yet the simplicity of it.

Can you tell us your experience with it? Do you feel like you are getting the results that would be expected of a giant Bio-filter?

thanks

Jorge

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyAngels View Post
    They do a great job showing all the details. Best yet the simplicity of it.

Can you tell us your experience with it? Do you feel like you are getting the results that would be expected of a giant Bio-filter?

thanks

Jorge
    Jorge I have not had mine running long enough to tell yet, I do love the simplicity of it though so far.
    "Don't count your Discus before they hatch" ............Joe

Copy, Thanks Joe. I'll look into it for my QT. Or better yet for my next setup as my present QT seems to be running well with what I've got.

Jorge

Registered Member

There is more colored foam out there than when I first purchased it. Also, at Swiss Tropical they have a newly designed outflow pipe that move a LOT of water compared to the older design. I have used my filters for awhile now, cleaned them maybe once...and the two tanks I have them in are always heavily stocked with no problems. Besides filtering...they are the BEST tank dividers...Bill

Registered Member

I have been using this foam in all my HOB filters. very happy with results.

Quote Originally Posted by mwdw View Post
    I have been using this foam in all my HOB filters. very happy with results.
    What color and Pore size do you use?

I've been using 2-4" thick pieces of blue Poret foam wedged in the 55 gal. sump of the 240 gal. since this past spring. This stuff is great! I just let the drains leech water through the foam as mech. filtration, and the water runs over Pond Matrix bio media, and water is pumped back to the tank. Very simple, but very effective. The foam ain't cheap, but then, what is that's worth having?
    Darrell

Real Name
    Fred

Well I'm glad this old tread is still up here... Just read about them and I'm thinking of setting up my breeding cubes with these.

Anyone has set them up as corner filter ?

Cheers,

Fred

Registered Member roundfishross's Avatar

personally I had problems running this hmf style filter even with multiple lift tubes there was not enough flow to keep the tanks an evan temp with the heater hidden out of view behind the foam, this was running on a central air system it would likely work fine with power heads.

Real Name
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by roundfishross View Post
    personally I had problems running this hmf style filter even with multiple lift tubes there was not enough flow to keep the tanks an evan temp with the heater hidden out of view behind the foam, this was running on a central air system it would likely work fine with power heads.
    I'll admitt that I'm leaning toward using a small power head to get a turnover between 2X and 3X the tank volume.

The beauty of this is that it keeps everything in the tank and a somewhat clean installation when the heater is behind the foam. Maybe not for a show tank were I would use the foam in a submerge sump underneat the tank. For a breeding and growing set-up its attractive for the person who doesn't want a central filter.

Cheers,

Fred
    Last edited by jawfish; 01-28-2011 at 10:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jawfish View Post
    I'll admitt that I'm leaning toward using a small power head to get a turnover between 2X and 3X the tank volume.

The beauty of this is that it keeps everything in the tank and a somewhat clean installation when the heater is behind the foam. Maybe not for a show tank were I would use the foam in a submerge sump underneat the tank. For a breeding and growing set-up its attractive for the person who doesn't want a central filter.

Cheers,

Fred
    I agree and I like mine so well that I ordered another yesterday to filter my Shrimp Tank.

Registered Member

I have a little bit of a different twist on this. I purchased the blue 30 ppi sponge from Swiss Tropicals and cut it to fit my compartments in my canister filters (Eheim 2213 and Fluval 305). Basically, both canisters of full of this poret sponge. My water is super clear and the filters are easy to clean. During a WC I just squeeze the sponges and they come clean very easily. I spoke with a German fellow that runs a LFS out of his basement. He claims that his father is still using the original foam he purchased many many years ago!

Regards,
    Peter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123