ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HMF FILTER

Default Re: HMF FILTER

I've also been considering it for a tank divider, with a breeding pair on each side. It looks much courser than the typical Hydro foam which makes me wonder if freeswimmers would get stuck or caught up in it. I would probably not use it as a biofilter though as they need to be cleaned frequently when feeding live bbs.
    Dose it seem like the 2" thick stuff would hold up to large wc's etc in a 55gal tank?

Kacey

Might want a lighter color of foam in a breeding set-up...

Registered Member

Kaceyo, he does carry a light green color for Discus breeders, as I had mentioned to him about the dark colorations of the other foams possibly being a problem with Discus breeding. I am going to do the same with it as a tank divider between pairs myself. I think having it as a divider, and working like a filter, would not cause enough suction in any one place that could trap fry. It seems that the surface area would be too great to cause any serious suction. It is coarser than typical spong. I have the 2" foam, and it's made very well...not flimsy at all. When placed in the tank, the fit is tight and will not move unless YOU move it. I have it in my 55 and I make 75% or more water changes and it's just fine. Lots of body to it. To me it feels somewhat like the Aquaclear foam inserts...the bigger sized AC anyways...Bill

Registered Member

I'm pretty sure it comes in different pore size as well. I'll have to double check the website...Bill

William,
    It isn't so much the suction I am thinking of as being a problem as the course foam would have large enough open cells for the tiny freeswimmers to get caught up in. They tend to swim into every little nook and cranny and get stuck easily. If they come with a finer pore size, as you brought up, that could take care of the problem.

Kacey

Registered Member

Kacey, I went to the site and he does list two pore sizes...

PPI= pores per inch
    30 PPI=Fine
    10PPI=Course

I'll have to try some of the fine sponge, at least for the breeder tanks...Bill

Sounds good. Let us know how it works if you get there before I do, and I'lldo the same.

Kacey

Quote Originally Posted by William Palumbo View Post
    Kacey, I went to the site and he does list two pore sizes...

PPI= pores per inch
    30 PPI=Fine
    10PPI=Course

I'll have to try some of the fine sponge, at least for the breeder tanks...Bill
    He also has 20 ppi in green here is a green 20ppi HMF in the right hand side of my 55 fry tank i think it blends in well with the blue paint, and also like You i took the strip i trimmed off and hid the gap between the tank wall and filter.

HMFgreen.jpg
    Last edited by Justice; 11-27-2010 at 06:46 PM.
    "Don't count your Discus before they hatch" ............Joe

Wow i just noticed how old the last post was after i posted bet i just gave out old info .....Sorry!

Registered Member

LOL...Still a great filter!...You could probably put you heater behind the foam as well. I know certain heaters with longer tubes don't sit in there well. Gives the tank a nice clean look...I still have not tried it on my breeding tanks yet...Bill

Registered Member

Funny to suddenly see this thread. I was looking at the same sort of thing yesterday on Angelsplus. They have a few videos of applications.
    http://www.angelsplus.com/FiltersCustom.htm. Nice to see it recommended here. Guess I'll give one a try.

Quote Originally Posted by prat View Post
    Funny to suddenly see this thread. I was looking at the same sort of thing yesterday on Angelsplus. They have a few videos of applications.
    http://www.angelsplus.com/FiltersCustom.htm. Nice to see it recommended here. Guess I'll give one a try.
    Here is another place to buy one http://www.swisstropicals.com/Poret%...Pricelist.html

Quote Originally Posted by William Palumbo View Post
    LOL...Still a great filter!...You could probably put you heater behind the foam as well. I know certain heaters with longer tubes don't sit in there well. Gives the tank a nice clean look...I still have not tried it on my breeding tanks yet...Bill
    Good idea Bill thanks, I did it!
    Attached Images Attached Images

To all those are awesome setups, thanks for sharing great info. Also it seems there are more choices in foam now than when the thread was started.

Jorge

so.. do you just have a air hose in the uptake tube? can you show a picture from side(end) view of the filter..? i would like to see how its put together.
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Quote Originally Posted by warlock4169 View Post
    so.. do you just have a air hose in the uptake tube? can you show a picture from side(end) view of the filter..? i would like to see how its put together.
    the airline attaches to the Jetlifter tube The side of my tank is painted but here is a link showing the JetLifter tubes you can see where the airline attaches in the pic. ~HTH~

http://www.swisstropicals.com/Web%20...Jetlifters.jpg

Here is a link showing how it all goes togather with the exception that the HMF kits have the Jetlifter tubes now instead of the PVC tubes

http://www.swisstropicals.com/Poret%...er%20Kits.html
    Last edited by Justice; 11-28-2010 at 02:35 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast