AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Changing their diet

Registered Member

Default Changing their diet

Hello everyone.

I currently have 3 discus fish and I am trying to make their diet more nutritional, but they refuse! They currently eat beefheart and live bloodworms. I only feed them beefheart twice a week when I am off so that I have time to do a water change. I tried giving them NLS pellets, but they won't go near them. I tried mixing them with beefheart, but they end up spitting the pellet back out.

I tried starving them for 48 hours and put in a few flakes, but they didn't eat. I tried again and put in granules and crisps soaked with bloodworms, but they wouldn't eat those either. I waited another 24 hours and tried again, but nope! After 4 days of not eating, I put in some live bloodworms and they went crazy. They have to be live, they won't eat frozen even if it's thawed.

Can anyone give me some advice on what I should do? I am afraid that the worms are going to make them sick. 😔 Has anyone had any luck with Cobalt flakes/pellets soaked in garlic guard?

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Default Re: Changing their diet

Hi and welcome to simply discus. Your discus have been very spoiled feeding on live blood worms. In my opinion you should purchase some Freeze Dried Black Worms. It has really good nutritional value, and doesn't mess up your tank. I have used it together with beef heart, and pellet food to raise juvenile discus to adults and l can't recommend them enough. There are a few places you can purchase it from depending on which part of the world you're from.

If you are from America l would buy them from here. Al is selling the same Freeze dried Black worms that l purchase from Australia.

http://www.aquaticsuppliers.com/Free...d-foods_c2.htm
    Last edited by two utes; 02-02-2017 at 06:04 AM.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: Changing their diet

Bring the temperature up to 85 - 87F, do regular water changes and starve them for 48 hours. Do a large water change and put in the new food afterwards. I just got my discus to take mysis after a steady diet of beefheart and frozen red worms.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.