ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How often do you clean sponge filters

Default Re: How often do you clean sponge filters

I clean the hydro sponges every two weeks and take the bottom of the hydro stack open and clean that too. You will notice a tremendous amount of sedimentation in the lower part of the hydro , it looks pitch black and it smells horrendous. I clean my sponges in tank water as I drain it and I have cleaned them with tap water right from the spout.
    " Not a veteran here " but that is the system I have implemented.

Roberto.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Hi, Bio-film will develop anywhere there is sufficient amounts of O2...that can be submerged or emerged. They do not need to be in contact with air. They'll colonize just about anywhere on a sponge, gravel, tank walls plants... whatever.

Because nitrification is an oxidization reaction the more O2 the better. That's why trickle towers or bio-wheels function so well. The water flowing over them will have slightly higher O2 levels, like 9>10ppm than the water in the tank which is typically around 7 to 8ppm.

G
    Yes also, I have a bare bottom 10g tank with sponge filter where I do not clean the tank walls or bottom, I just do only WC there( I am doing this as experiment). There is a better water processing in this tank with respect to the others in my system where I clean tank walls and bottom using the same sponges and doing the same daily WC.

great info.
    thank you,

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by crash View Post
    I have two hydro IV on and aquaclear in my 110 gallon.
    I alternate between the spong every couple of weeks to give them a clean.

I just take one of them out and squeez the dirt out in running water. I figure since I alternate, the bacteria in the other filter will do the job until this one is established again and then take the other filter and clean it. This is what we people in Information Technology call a hot spare or a redundant backup .

Amol
    Same here every week for growing and every other week for adults/breeders.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Actualy Eddie, a well established bio-film is pretty tough and squeezing sponges out or even running them under chlorinated water for a quick cleaning will have very little affect on them.
    Graham, I would have thought that squeezing the filters out under tap water would kick the bacteria in the butt? All my filters have established bacteria but I would still hesitate.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12