ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Brew's other other hobby... some recent pics I took...

Default Re: Brew's other other hobby... some recent pics I took...

Quote Originally Posted by FLGirl1977 View Post
    BTW, did you have a chance to check out Clyde Butcher's Art Gallery while you were in the Everglades?
    not this time....but I have been there before...He's one of my photography heros.

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member Elite Aquaria's Avatar

Great pictures. I love the ones of the Birds. I'll forgive you this time but not next time...

Looks like a great time! But I live here, so for me it'd just be more of the same. I haven't spent much time in the Everglades but I did get to enjoy the Keys a few years ago. Have you ever been to Big Pine Key to see the Key Deer? They're tiny; adults are probably about 3' tall.

Hi Ryan,

Nice Picture ! Yes, been there too... but a while ago...Those Key deer are special... pretty much the size of a small dog and very used to people.. I took this photo when I was last there in 1999... hoping to return and camp in the Keys this summer at Bahia Honda State Park.

-al

soory for the poor quality pic on this key deer... I need to rescan all my old 35 MM slides
    Attached Images Attached Images

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Hi Ryan,

Nice Picture ! Yes, been there too... but a while ago...Those Key deer are special... pretty much the size of a small dog and very used to people.. I took this photo when I was last there in 1999... hoping to return and camp in the Keys this summer at Bahia Honda State Park.

-al

soory for the poor quality pic on this key deer... I need to rescan all my old 35 MM slides
    Great Picture Al, even for 10 years ago. Back then I was using a 1.5 megapixel point and shoot. You couldn't see a thing. LOL

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

Those Key deer are about to be put on the endangered species list.

I was in germany while in the service and all I can remember is large mean pigs, large rabbits and tiny deer....LOL

I have never seen a Key deer but I have looked, just not enough time I guess.

I thought the Key Deer were already on the endangered species list? They are REALLY strict on your speed driving through that area... and they aren't forgiving. (No, I didn't get a ticket, but I've seen many who have)

Al, looks like that gator took interest in you because you were too close to her babies... if those aren't her babies, you might have been too close to their nest possibly. They get REALLY grouchy if you get too close.

I know how scary it is being that close to them. I took a trip to Ding Darling Park on Sanibel (during dusk) once and was walking in an area that I probably shouldn't have been (that time of day). I was within a few feet of a 10 foot gator's head (near the shoreline), but because of the lighting/reflection on top of the surface I didn't see him. Well, I did see him when I almost stepped on him! I screamed and jumped/ran so fast away that it scared him too and he jumped/turned back into the deeper area... the guy I was dating at the time had no idea why I was running so fast back towards the path! lol!!! I can look back now and laugh... especially at my date's reaction to me, but would NEVER want to be in that position again!
    Renee'
    Today I'm feeling:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO-qS0DvBgE

Hi Renee,
    Thats possible about the babies or nest and more likely as we head into Spring when they start to breed again... babies from several generations stay around the Mom and are tolerated by her... This particular gator approaching me was probably a male by its size... ( as was yours ...Most over 9 feet are usually males.) It can be a scary feeling...I've been to JN Ding Darling Many times ...excellent wildlife drive there...and yes...some big gators too... Being on an Island and protected in that sanctuary I think they get real big there.

Your story reminds me of when I was taking pics in Myakka River State park a few years ago.... I was trying to get a picture of a Limkin...a rare bird and did manage that...but it was across the river and I needed to be as close to my side as could..so I was at the rivers bank... and when I see a rare animal I zone.. my attention was 100% on that bird. I must have been there 5-10 minutes when out of the corner of my Eye I saw a large gator that was literally 5 feet from me.. It was covered with hyacinth( common in river) and was just laying there trying to warm up after the cool Feb Morning... I froze. Its eyes slowly openned and looked right at me...."deer in the headlight" look comes to mind...only I was the Deer... You never saw someone back away as cautiously and fast as I did!

Most Gators will avoid you all costs, but theres that occassional one that definetly reminds you whose jaws can close at a crushing 3000+pounds per square inch force... I admire these prehistoric beast alot and South Florida ecosystems are so dependent on them... They are probably the single most important vertebrate animal there.

-al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Great pictures Glad you and your family had a great vacation

Ardan

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Its eyes slowly openned and looked right at me...."deer in the headlight" look comes to mind...only I was the Deer... You never saw someone back away as cautiously and fast as I did!

-al
    Now THAT'S funny... I can totally picture that...
    Renee'
    Today I'm feeling:

hi Al,
    looks like u were having great time....great pictures too.

best rgds,
    forrest.
    best rgds,
    Forrest
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

HAHA. Nice, Your hobby is my life. Im a land surveyor and all of your swamp pictures are reality for me. Im in the swamp all the time, Home away from home really. I enjoy being in the middle of a wet gator infested swamp more than in the city. Mother nature is amazing, People arent. We are a virus. You get to see any moccasins? Those are my biggest fear, In the summer they get really agressive and actually chase you. Glas for a razor sharp machette : ) . Well im glad you enjoyed the wonderful florida outdoors, Come back soon she'll be waiting.

Joe

Ardan , Thanks my friend ... Hope you have been well too... won't be long before fishing season starts there huh?

Forrest, Glad you enjoyed the pics....someday I'd like to bring my camera to Malaysia for a discus and nature photo shoot!

Joe,
    ThatSounds like my kind of work Joe...of course between studying the critters and plants and taking pictures I'd get fired for sure!

As for snakes... usually I do see some...they are one of the critters I really enjoy watching in the wild..but sadly this trip I saw none.

Oh well.. maybe this summer .

-al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Hey Al, did you manage to take any pictures of any Sandhill Cranes? I love those guys, but they're not as plentiful as Blue or Green Herons.... Would love to see more pics.

BTW, you should submit some pics to http://www.nbc-2.com/FirstPerson/, it's the local news station here, and we LOVE to see great pictures of the area!
    Renee'
    Today I'm feeling:

Hi Renee,
    I'll dig some more pics out for you... as for the sandhills...I saw some...but no pics this time...I do have some from earlier trips..

-al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast