ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone keep these monsters with discus?

Default Re: Anyone keep these monsters with discus?

Quote Originally Posted by vlam View Post
    A lot of side conversation here but regarding motoro ray.

I've seen them kept with Discus before but the problem is having the correct tank for them. They need a much wider tank. 24" wide at min and most of the off the shelf tanks are usually long or high, not wide. A 180gal+ tank will work but remember 24" is min. Without going to a custom tank, a Perfecto 300gal (72"x36"x27") is a better footprint.
    I agree that size tank would be needed for the Motoro Ray's. Mine is a Teacup Ray. I am looking for a 150 Gallon, I think that size should be good enough for her...... hopefully

Cancer Survivor..... Glad to be finally free!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tpastrana View Post
    I agree that size tank would be needed for the Motoro Ray's. Mine is a Teacup Ray. I am looking for a 150 Gallon, I think that size should be good enough for her...... hopefully
    When you said she was 10" does that include the tail?

Pat
    + + =

Quote Originally Posted by ov10pat View Post
    When you said she was 10" does that include the tail?

Pat
    Hi, speaking for tpastrana (she and I are good friends), the 10" does not include the tail, just the body diameter.
    Connie
    So Many Fish... So Little Tank Space

Quote Originally Posted by poconogal View Post
    Hi, speaking for tpastrana (she and I are good friends), the 10" does not include the tail, just the body diameter.
    Thank you.

Pat
    + + =

Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    They are big, and not so expensive, around 270 US dollars

Thats not expensive? LOL. I wouldnt spend 270 bucks of much of anything right now, Let alone a fish.

Joe

Registered Member

Hello,

I have a young motoro with my 4 discus and they all do great togethor. I keep the temp a little higher for the discus, even though the rays like it cooler.

I have a 150g acryllic, 5'x2'x2' with about 2in of older gravel that is not sharp, it has been cleaned and swirled around many times over the years and is quite smooth.

I was a little tentative when I looked into putting the ray in since they are big eaters and are constantly looking for food. But I got a pup that was a month old, with a 4in disc. 2 months later and they are all doing great, neither the discus or rays pay much attention to the other. When it comes time for feeding, I chop up a couple of earthworms and put them in the tank for the ray, when he starts to eat them I put in some black worms for the discus. The ray will then go around and search for any uneaten black worms that are in the rocks. It is really a pretty cool thing to watch!!!

I highly recommend rays with discus, it is a nice effect. The discus stay closer to the middle/top of the tank and the ray almost always stays on the
    bottom "flying" around.

By the way, my discus are 6in, 4in & 2@3in size, so they are not that big, I also have 4 angels and 2 silver dollars. (So now I'll sit back and wait for all the responses about how that combination is impossible and I'm an idiot, who is stressing out fish, etc, etc, etc.....) What I do know is my fish are eating great, fins are perfect, they are growing and all appearances show that they are doing fine.

Also, I have some very small danio's & neons that I threw in the tank months ago and the ray does not bother with them. It may just be my ray, but as long as I have worms available he is OK. I tried other types of food, but for now the ray loves the worms.

Good luck.

Okay.... I've gotta ask! Has/Does anyone ever get stung by their stingray??? I would imagine its GOTTA hurt, and that alone has deterred me from ever getting one. Seriously though, if you have to remove them from the tank for whatever reason, how do you do it?

How much of a danger is there when siphoning poop that they'll brush up against you and accidentally (or intentionally) sting you?
    Renee'
    Today I'm feeling:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO-qS0DvBgE

Quote Originally Posted by FLGirl1977 View Post
    Okay.... I've gotta ask! Has/Does anyone ever get stung by their stingray??? I would imagine its GOTTA hurt, and that alone has deterred me from ever getting one. Seriously though, if you have to remove them from the tank for whatever reason, how do you do it?

How much of a danger is there when siphoning poop that they'll brush up against you and accidentally (or intentionally) sting you?
    I have to tell you, so far I am lucky. I actually pet mine and hand feed her. I have had her since she was a tiny baby, so I would have to say she is use to me,kind of like a mom I guess. I can vacuum, move things around in the tank, pretty much anything that I would normally do if she wasnt in the tank. The Ray's actually lose the Stinger approx every 3 months and grow a new one. So if anything you have to be careful when cleaning the Gravel so that you dont get poked by that. I have removed mine and saved them. They feel like a pointy piece of bone.

I have to tell you, so far I am lucky. I actually pet mine and hand feed her. I have had her since she was a tiny baby, so I would have to say she is use to me,kind of like a mom I guess. I can vacuum, move things around in the tank, pretty much anything that I would normally do if she wasnt in the tank. The Ray's actually lose the Stinger approx every 3 months and grow a new one. So if anything you have to be careful when cleaning the Gravel so that you dont get poked by that. I have removed mine and saved them. They feel like a pointy piece of bone.
    Huh.. I never knew that before! I remember reading an article once though about a guy that had a stingray and when it stung him he said that it was SO painful that he would have rather cut his arm off! That statement alone has scared me off. I've always admired them though... and would love to have one because they are fascinating... but just too scared to!
    Renee'
    Today I'm feeling:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO-qS0DvBgE

Awwww, T, I always knew you were a sentimental softie... LOL!!! How many has Stevie lost so far?
    Connie
    So Many Fish... So Little Tank Space

Quote Originally Posted by FLGirl1977 View Post
    Huh.. I never knew that before! I remember reading an article once though about a guy that had a stingray and when it stung him he said that it was SO painful that he would have rather cut his arm off! That statement alone has scared me off. I've always admired them though... and would love to have one because they are fascinating... but just too scared to!
    From what I have heard, freshwater sting's are more painful than a saltwater sting's. I'm not so sure how true that is, just what I have heard. I hope I never get stung, but if I do I will surely let you all know how badly it hurts..
    My Ray is so friendly she know's when I am going to feed her, she follows me around the tank when I come to it. She even follows me around when I am in the tank cleaning it. I actually have to kind of poke her tail for her to run away so I can clean the spot she is in. She keeps coming right back though..
    I use to be scared of her when I first got her, even though she was a baby.
    Still made me nervous, but as I got to know her the fear went away..

Quote Originally Posted by poconogal View Post
    Awwww, T, I always knew you were a sentimental softie... LOL!!! How many has Stevie lost so far?
    Hey my friend!!! Yes I am.... This is her 2nd stinger. The first one was really little, that one kind of broke. The 2nd one looks like a little spear, very sharp!!
    I cant wait for the 3rd one to come in.. They are getting bigger & bigger..

Can we get the pictures posted here? Can't see them on bidka, if you're not a member ...

Quote Originally Posted by waters10 View Post
    Can we get the pictures posted here? Can't see them on bidka, if you're not a member ...
    I tried to upload better pic's but I can not get them to the next larger size.
    Hopefully you can see these..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

I also worried about getting stung, especially if I happen to be alergic and not know, I don't want to find out the hard way!!

Anyway, when ever I move stuff around or start to vacuum, which you will need to do, the ray will usually get a little scared and try to cover himself under the rocks.

That is one thing to keep in mind when getting a ray, they create alot of mess. I compare a young ray to having a large Oscar; for waste!!! I feed mine cut up earthworms, and if you want a visual it looks like the worms go right thru him!!!

I have a 150g acryllic with 2 magnum 220's and 2 emp 400's that do a good job so far.

I try to do weekly water changes of 25-40% and feed them twice a day.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast