AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: "Can't get pairs to form"

Default "Can't get pairs to form"

With all the talk and problems some people are having with there breeders, why I can't get pairs to form is a new one on me. I purchased pre-adult discus from Kenny in his December shipment from Forrest and some pre-adult intermediates before that, all these fish 6 actually intermediates have not given me the notion of pairing up. To me I believe that there is atleast 1 or 2 of each sex of each along with a male intermediate albino eruption all adults in the same 120 gallon tank. Besides this I just put 1 male spotted albino leopard in there tank and 2 male ALSS and 1 ALSS female in as well. The intermediates have been together the longest, no signs of pairing of any as yet. I have all these in a 120 gallon tank, 10 pre-adult and 3 adults being together for around 3 weeks. Kenny picked out on the ALSS's 2 males and 1 female, when they where in QT 2 found each other and started shaking and keeping the other male away but did not spawn. while in QT they started to clean a site to lay but never did before I put them all together as they are now. I am at a loss for words, have never had a problem before on pairs forming as I do now. So be grateful you have some pairs that you know are laying eggs, mine are in limbo.............................Jim in Ohio

Default Re: "Can't get pairs to form"

How old are they? If most were purchased as pre-adults in December, and it's only been a couple of months, then it's probably too early for them to pair up. It might help if you give us more information. What are your water stats? wc regime? feeding regime?

Well, my w/c for this tank is every other day about 60% I have a wet/dry filter clean that up about once a month. Water temp. is between 84-85 degrees I've never tested ammonia nitrates for a long time so couldn't tell you what they are. The fish look an act healthy, have never had a problem with any diseases of late or them feeding. They eat every and anything I give them to eat. I can see what you mean on my december fish being to young but these aren't my first discus, I've had and have bred them for let's say going on 15 years. Have had my fair share of problems in sickness of the fish but I've learned that lesson and QT for 8 weeks on average. Most of the discus in this tank I would say excluding the December fish are at least 12 months probably 14-15 months old. So, ok I do w/c's every other day 60% I have peat bags in my wet/dry filter I feed my adults once, twice a-day when feeding CBW's. Have a breeding pair of Blue Diamond Snakeskins, have no problems at breeding discus when I have pairs, but I have of lately problems forming breeding pairs. As I stated earlier my new ALSS I believe formed as a pair from Kenny's December shipment, but I thought since they where looking like a formed pair with all the shaking and such that maybe they would be an influence on these other's. Any more information you need tell me, cause I don't think I've done anything wrong with these healthly fish in my eyes. They just haven't formed any pairs, so someone tell me what I should be doing..................Thanks Jim

Registered Member Elite Aquaria's Avatar

12-14 months is at the early stages for breeding. Also If you have only had them for 2 months they are just getting used to your water. Just be patient...

The ones I've had for 2 months aren't the ONE'S I'm concerned about, the ones that are 14- 15 months of age are the ONE'S that have me baffled.

Registered Member Elite Aquaria's Avatar

14-15 months is still early...just be patient. How long have you had these fish that you are concerned about?

Hi, Big cool waterchanges and drop temp of tank to 82 degrees, then 80 degrees as per my coach :9) I am also going to put some peat in a sock in my hb filters to just add a little something to the water.. I feel you pain though... :9) 1 year ago I sold a pair of Santerems that had wigglers in a community tank, so I know my water is good.. BUT that tank did have driftwood in it... Now the pairs I want to breed are very complacent.

Well, that's a start to a different direction right?? David T

I've had the fish I'm referring to 7 months, and the patience is still there. It's maybe a little bit anxious and excited to try and get them started. The ALSS I just got in December have shown more promise then these guys and there alot younger.

Registered Member

Have you tried playing some Barry White or Marvin Gaye? Sometimes I do that and supplement with a strawberry/whipped cream mix, feed twice daily.

Jimmy,

Are these from his Aug/08 special promotional F1 intermediate? I also got 4 from Kenny, they haven't show a sign yet. They have to be at least 15 months old. I know it depends on the strains, some mature at less than 1 year, some are much longer. At least they are still growing slowly, mine is very thick and around 6.5". I also have some golden leopard from Kenny's Dec/07 that just starting to lay eggs, they are around 16 months old. It only take twice to get wrigglers which is really good. In my past experience, the ones that mature early usually take longer time to get it right.

Good luck, I hope they will pair soon,
    Dan

Yes, they are from that shipment, I know patience is a virtue and I'll wait forever if I have too. Been doing 60 - 70% cool w/c's lately everyday so maybe that will trigger them. I'll give that a go for a while see if something happens, thanks fo your support. Jim

Jim,

I have good news, mine starts pairing up 2 weeks ago. See

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...196#post543196

Did yours have any sign yet? How big are they? Can you post a few pictures?

Good luck,
    Dan

Hi Dan, sorry no mine are still hanging around not doing much of anything, I have all of them in a 92 corner tank. To tell the truth I really haven't paid much attention to them, been doing my water changes but haven't really watched for any pairing activity. I guess I'll take a look for a change and see what'sup. I'll take some pic's also, but I'm sure there around 6-6 1/2". Boy, I sure hope there getting the itch, you say you've seen them pairing up two weeks ago huh, and I also read that they laid eggs. Have put them in there own tank to see how that goes or are you letting them practice in the community tank for now. Wish you luck with them keep me up on what's happening okay..............................Jim hoping they pair-up for me too in Ridgeville, Ohio

Thanks Jim, I don't have any breeding tank at the moment, they will just have to practice first, I am hoping to pair them with my ALSS. Anyway they laid eggs again today, here is a couple pictures I took earlier.

Good luck to yours, I am sure they will be pairing soon,
    Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images