AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog Food Analysis: Rating Dog Foods

Default Dog Food Analysis: Rating Dog Foods

An excellent site that rates the quality of your dog food. Are you feeding your dog crap???

Here's the home page:
    http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/

The review pages:
    http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

A quick index page of all the foods reviewed in alphabetical order:
    http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog-food-index-a.html

Default Re: Dog Food Analysis: Rating Dog Foods

Awesome site. I had found it a while back as well. Since then I am now spending $50 a week on dog food to feed the boys a high quality food...

Thanks for the info. Alot of dogs have lived good long lives on crappy food and some are better than others but I feel better feeding mine raw from local sources. That way I know they are getting the freshest most healthy food I can provide for them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jason; 03-01-2009 at 09:16 AM.

I don't know how accurate that site is because I work at a dog food plant and one of our foods says that they did a analysis on it in 2005 and to my knowledge we didn't even have that food(s) at that time. I have been working there since 2004. Just thought I would put some insight on this. HTH
    ~Josh

Great link.I used to feed my boxers science diet till I did some research.Now they are on Blue buffalo and look great.

Real Name
    Chris

Great site. Thanks for sharing. I've been feeding Orijen since it came out and have been very happy (except for the price) and my "kids" love it.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scribbles View Post
    Great site. Thanks for sharing. I've been feeding Orijen since it came out and have been very happy (except for the price) and my "kids" love it.
    I fed my two Orijen too, they both loved it but it was too rich for one of them. Now I feed Honest Kitchen Force with ground meat added. Always on the look out for a better food for them.

Anna

Real Name
    Mike

A good rule of thumb is to not feed a food that starts off with any type of by products as the first ingredient or anything with corn. Corn acts the same way in a dog as it does in humans (not much value and it comes out the same way it went in). By - products mean feet, beaks and anything else they can throw in that they cant do anything else with. Canidae is pretty good. I did well with this food when breeding sheltie puppies. If you wouldnt eat it, would you feed it to your family pet? You want something that has chicken, turkey, lamb, etc "MEAL" because this has higher proteins.
    Last edited by White Worm; 03-01-2009 at 04:19 PM.

Registered Member

Designer dog food? I know it's out there but really? I have fed beneful for a long time, cheap, dog likes it, has lots of energy. 50 bucks a week is crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by marnold View Post
    Great link.I used to feed my boxers science diet till I did some research.Now they are on Blue buffalo and look great.
    I'm also on Blue Buffalo! Everything going good except the excessive gas, but I think that's just my boys

Quote Originally Posted by mcsinny99 View Post
    Designer dog food? I know it's out there but really? I have fed beneful for a long time, cheap, dog likes it, has lots of energy. 50 bucks a week is crazy.
    Designer? It is not designer rather nutritious. Proven that grain is not a natural diet of canines, which is what most/all local grocery store - commercial stores sell. Purina/iams/etc. Just like you, you were not made as a human to mostly consume bloodworms and algae, but if you were fed it over and over and over you would adjust but not exactly the best for you. (Dunno if that was a great comparison but hopefully you get what I mean) Dogs need meat and protein (and other) and not the first ingredient and most ingredients being grain fillers.

Also I would like to add that I believe most of us feeding these higher quality foods often seem to be for larger breeds where nutrition has a greater effect on being able to carry the weight and effect joints etc.

$50 week = 2 100+ lbs. Rottweilers. Different story if you take the same bag for a 8 lbs. chihuaha.

All dog food is different. Some use nothing but by-products and some take the extra step in making such a great food for our animals. Just like with fish flakes,pellet, etc.. You will always feed what you animals will eat. Some just put a little more "care" into what they make. That has a lot to do with the price as well. Just to throw in my 2 cent.
    ~Josh

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ibanez540r View Post
    I'm also on Blue Buffalo! Everything going good except the excessive gas, but I think that's just my boys

Designer? It is not designer rather nutritious. Proven that grain is not a natural diet of canines, which is what most/all local grocery store - commercial stores sell. Purina/iams/etc. Just like you, you were not made as a human to mostly consume bloodworms and algae, but if you were fed it over and over and over you would adjust but not exactly the best for you. (Dunno if that was a great comparison but hopefully you get what I mean) Dogs need meat and protein (and other) and not the first ingredient and most ingredients being grain fillers.

Also I would like to add that I believe most of us feeding these higher quality foods often seem to be for larger breeds where nutrition has a greater effect on being able to carry the weight and effect joints etc.

$50 week = 2 100+ lbs. Rottweilers. Different story if you take the same bag for a 8 lbs. chihuaha.
    Well I do have a 50 lb Brittany that hunts like a champ and sleeps in the house. You are right dogs do need protein, comparing them to discus is crazy. I have never done an (comparable) air change on a dog. My dog gets greenies, duck treats, rawhides, and every other thing dogs like (including the occasional human food toss). I am just saying I think that 50 dollars a week on dog food is insane. Sounds like paris hilton purse dog syndrome to me. How do you know it's better anyway? A web site? My dog read it and said "rats cwazie, boss!"

Oh I almost forgot, I tried the expensive stuff once, dog ate it (some kind of fancy lad gravy train-I grandma's skillet or something) dog puked, I mean ejected, the stuff right in front of me on the carpet lol. The best thing for dogs is interaction and exercize, (love) not paris hilton's gold nugget wheat grass beef alternatives.
    Last edited by mcsinny99; 03-02-2009 at 04:59 AM.

Registered Member

ry m starvin! preeze halp!

Quote Originally Posted by mcsinny99 View Post
    Well I do have a 50 lb Brittany that hunts like a champ and sleeps in the house. You are right dogs do need protein, comparing them to discus is crazy. I have never done an (comparable) air change on a dog. My dog gets greenies, duck treats, rawhides, and every other thing dogs like (including the occasional human food toss). I am just saying I think that 50 dollars a week on dog food is insane. Sounds like paris hilton purse dog syndrome to me. How do you know it's better anyway? A web site? My dog read it and said "rats cwazie, boss!"

Oh I almost forgot, I tried the expensive stuff once, dog ate it (some kind of fancy lad gravy train-I grandma's skillet or something) dog puked, I mean ejected, the stuff right in front of me on the carpet lol. The best thing for dogs is interaction and exercize, (love) not paris hilton's gold nugget wheat grass beef alternatives.
    If you really want the answer to your question go to the link and read the links on the left side of the page.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/faq.html

I too would have said it is crazy $50 a week until further information was gathered and read research done on dog food. Again you have to also take into consideration this is feeding 2 100+ pound rottweilers 5 cups each a day (two 2 1/2 cup feedings). $43 for a 30 lb. bag. Recently downgraded from the wilderness which was $45 for a 26 lb bag.

If you read the ingredients on the back of my bag it is real foods that you can understand. Chicken, sweet potatoes, rasberries. Not scientific chemical garbage on the back of most commercial foods.

Another article on helping you pick the best foods for your dog.

http://www.thepetcenter.com/imtop/bestfood.html

"In conclusion: I recommend that a dog owner look at the pet food label. Look at the ingredient list and a meat such as chicken should be listed as the first ingredient. Look at the guaranteed analysis to see that the protein level is at 30% or more. The fat content should be at 18% or more. And if there is a rather wide spectrum of ingredients such as omega fatty acids and Vitamin E, that's good, too. There should be NO FOOD COLORING! If you find a few diets that meet this criteria, and there are quite a few from which to choose, you just might have the confidence that you are feeding the best dog food you can get.

So that's my opinion of what dog food is best. There are a number of them but you need to be selective and you probably will have to pay more for them. Will a dog survive and do well on lesser quality foods? Maybe... a professional race car will probably finish a race using poor quality gas, too. But it will never perform to its intended and maximum potential if the fuel is poor quality. If you are feeding a generic, grain-based dog food and your dog looks and feels great, my guess is that the dog is also getting table food. Adding chicken scraps, vegetables, cottage cheese, eggs and other "people food" often upgrades the total nutrients in the dog's diet. But that's another story we will shed light on some day."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast