AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dog Food Analysis: Rating Dog Foods

Default Re: Dog Food Analysis: Rating Dog Foods

well..one thing thats in dog food that is seriously bad..is the preservative they use. the cheap ones use one that causes liver cancer. i also see alot of dogs getting cushings disease these days. most of my customers dogs by the time they are 8 or so have cushings. why is that? overfeeding? never heard many cases years ago..now its tons of dogs get it.
    i feed and sell go and now . its all made with human grade and all made locally here. in our fraser valley. fruits , vegetables , etc all from there.
    you feed a poor quality food..most comes back out the other end. i know an ethanol plant in wyoming..that used the corn for the ethanol..and he sold the cobs etc ground up or whats left to dog food companies. wheres the value in that. hes no longer the owner of that ethanol plant..sold it. but i knew him personally.
    i also know a little dog who ate beneful all her short life. died of cancer at 6 years old. co-incidence? maybe..doubt it..

Looks like I'm feeding my dog crap! Never would have though Nutro Natural Balance would have gotten rated this poorly... it only recieved a rating of 2 stars! Thanks for this link... it's making me seriously consider making our dogs food rather than spending the $45 on their bag of dry dog food every 2 weeks!
    Renee'
    Today I'm feeling:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO-qS0DvBgE

Real Name
    Chris

With money being tighter nowadays I want to make sure that I am paying for "food" instead of garbage such as by-products and digest material. If you want to spend your hard earned $ on that I've got a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn. I pay $50 every two weeks for two dogs 87lbs. and 75lbs. The larger one gets 3.5 hours of exercise daily in addition to playing with his buddy who gets slightly less. These are not fat "couch potatoes" My vet always comploments my dogs' condition. If you take responsibility for a life treat it as the precious gift that it is.

I recently took my dogs off of Candidae. It was giving them extremely bad gas and there is no way that they weren't getting stomach aches from it. The problem I have with dog food is that my Boston Terrier is allergic to EVERYTHING. He can't eat Wheat, White Potato, Brewers yeast, Poultry Mix, and Oat. All of those are in almost ALL dog foods and treats.

My girlfriend did some searching and right now we feed our dogs Avoderm. So far they love it and they hardly get gas.

Smile Re: Dog Food Analysis: Rating Dog Foods

I buy two roasted chicken from the local supermarket ($12 total). I rip out all the meat, cut into small pieces, and mix with the Iams that my dogs get each day (twice). So cheap dry food for scraping teeth, and real chicken added for better protein content. It's a lot cheaper than $50 a week...mike

Registered Member

I don't know, guys n gals, I've had 2 labs one is still kicking going on 13 and the other lived to be 14. The one that died at 14 was fed the "cheap stuff" and the other one is on the "old dog" no fart formula, but that food is pretty cheap too. I do mix it up with canned stuff once in while, but I don't think it costs 50 bucks a week to feed me! I guess if you can afford 50 bucks a week for the dog more power to you, but you could be spending that money on more discus.

brewers yeast is not the good stuff..its the cheap junk. if it says brewers yeast..its shortcuts.
    theres no grain dry foods..for dogs who cant have grains. like now . its usually the grains they are allergic to not the meats.
    if you make your own food..it still has to be balanced. for instance..dogs who eat hamburger..get soft and blubbery soft no muscle fat. you need a balance. to produce muscle mass etc.

Real Name
    Chris

Ha Ha Ha...Just fed the dogs their Orijens, fed the discus their seafood buffet, don't even get me started on the picky rescue cockatiel with liver issues and 4 different cups of food to choose from. For my dinner I'm shelling peanuts and gulping Dr. Pepper.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12