AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who owns a Honda??

Question Who owns a Honda??

Do you have your maintenance done at the dealership? Took my CRV that I just bought last year in for an oil change today and they dropped the good ole' 'well, at your 15,000 mile maintenance we usually rotate/balance the tires and replace the air filter'....

So, wasn't too happy that a $30 oil change all of a sudden was going to be a over $100 15,000 maintenance visit.... but later they tell me 'all of your tires are going to need to be replaced, they are worn down to the wear-bar'.... WHAT?!!?

So my car/tires only have 15,500 miles and they need to be replaced already?? Does that seem right? Nothing fancy as far as tires go, but surely they would usually last longer than the amount I've put on them... and I check to make sure the air is fine in them... Anyone else have a similar experience with their Honda?
    Renee'
    Today I'm feeling:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO-qS0DvBgE

Default Re: Who owns a Honda??

Quote Originally Posted by FLGirl1977 View Post
    Do you have your maintenance done at the dealership? Took my CRV that I just bought last year in for an oil change today and they dropped the good ole' 'well, at your 15,000 mile maintenance we usually rotate/balance the tires and replace the air filter'....

So, wasn't too happy that a $30 oil change all of a sudden was going to be a over $100 15,000 maintenance visit.... but later they tell me 'all of your tires are going to need to be replaced, they are worn down to the wear-bar'.... WHAT?!!?

So my car/tires only have 15,500 miles and they need to be replaced already?? Does that seem right? Nothing fancy as far as tires go, but surely they would usually last longer than the amount I've put on them... and I check to make sure the air is fine in them... Anyone else have a similar experience with their Honda?
    Yeah Renee, that is actually very low for needing tires replaced. Was the car brand new with new tires or was it used? Another thing is the manufacturer of the tires. If you have some super cheap brand tires, they may get a bit worn at 15K miles.

Most dealerships, I'm saying most as to not offend anyone, try to get as much as they can out of you. If I were you, If you havent paid to replace them, take them to a little ma and pa auto shop and see what they say. Tell them you situation.

It's always best to find a nice reputable auto repair shop. Guess nowadays its like trying to find a needle in a haystack though.

Honda wants your money, period.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Thanks for the quick reply Eddie. It was brand new when I bought it last May, so it's a 2008... I have Bridgestone tires on there (they came with the vehicle).

I guess the annoying part of this all is, before I bought this car I had an Infiniti and the tires on that vehicle were insanely expensive and had to be replaced every 12,000 miles (Z-rated), SOOOO.... I got rid of it (even though that car was a ton of fun!) and got something that would be 'less-costly' as far as maintenance goes... and it looks like I'm in a similar situation now.

Ya know, I always 'felt' better sticking with dealerships, like it was the 'safer' bet, but I don't ever remember Infiniti 'nickle-and-diming' me to death like Honda has done so far..

Having said that, I love the CRV... just not the dealership.
    Renee'
    Today I'm feeling:

Thanks for the quick reply Eddie. It was brand new when I bought it last May, so it's a 2008... I have Bridgestone tires on there (they came with the vehicle).

I guess the annoying part of this all is, before I bought this car I had an Infiniti and the tires on that vehicle were insanely expensive and had to be replaced every 12,000 miles (Z-rated), SOOOO.... I got rid of it (even though that car was a ton of fun!) and got something that would be 'less-costly' as far as maintenance goes... and it looks like I'm in a similar situation now.

Ya know, I always 'felt' better sticking with dealerships, like it was the 'safer' bet, but I don't ever remember Infiniti 'nickle-and-diming' me to death like Honda has done so far..

Having said that, I love the CRV... just not the dealership.
    Yeah, Honda is bad about taking you to the bank.

CRVs are quite nice vehicles. With Bridgestone tires, I am very surprised they are already worn to replacement after a year.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

Visit Eddie's Place

Quote Originally Posted by basshead View Post
    Yeah, Honda is bad about taking you to the bank.

CRVs are quite nice vehicles. With Bridgestone tires, I am very surprised they are already worn to replacement after a year.

Eddie
    I was shocked too! I called my father to ask his opinion (they have the exact model/year as mine). He was not happy... especially if that was to be the outcome of their vehicle as well... so he called and spoke with the manager. Apparently, he made a few phone calls and all I know at this point is that I have to call someone tomorrow with the tire company. All they told me was that I won't have a charge?? Not sure if they will be replacing them?? We'll see... I have to call them tomorrow.

I was looking into Michelin tires, but they are a little too pricey for me right now...
    Renee'
    Today I'm feeling:

Registered Member

Just to throw this out there, aren't tires dated on the side as to when they were manufactured and if so, you should be able to verify if the tires were made the same year that you bought the car, or did they sit on a shelf for a few years first?

Anna

Hi Anna. That's interesting... I'll look into it. Even if they did sit on the shelf a bit, would that really have an effect on how quickly they have worn down?
    Renee'
    Today I'm feeling:

Registered Member

Hi Anna. That's interesting... I'll look into it. Even if they did sit on the shelf a bit, would that really have an effect on how quickly they have worn down?
    Renee,

There was an email video that went around some time ago stating the tires that sat on the shelf did deteriorate much faster. I'll see if I can find that article. They suggested always checking the year on new tire purchases.

Anna

Real Name
    Walter

You should be able to visually inspect your tires to see how much wear is on them. If you don't know how to tell, you can do a google search on the 'net.

If your car's alignment is out, that will cause your tires to wear sooner.

Of course, if you turn your corners on two wheels... Just kidding!

Just some ideas.

Walter
    Walter

Hi Walter... to me, they really don't look worn down to the point of being replaced. As far as the alignment goes, the alignment was just checked last November and all was fine. I do appreciate all of the brain storming though! Hopefully when I talk to this person tomorrow we can come to some sort of compromise... apparently the tires ARE supposed to last longer...
    Renee'
    Today I'm feeling:

Registered Member

Renee,
    Here is a very short article about how tires that sit on a shelf do age! You can google for more info. on it http://extension.missouri.edu/ceupda...uyingtires.htm

I no longer have the video but it was about this man's son who went on a trip with their van. The father just put all new tires on the van but they were actually old (sat on the shelf for years). A tragic accident happened because of the poor tire quality and his son lost his life. Not to be a big downer here but this is how I first found out about the importance of checking the date on tires "before" you pay for them. I had never heard of it before. So, if your car is say a 2006 for example, the tires should be of that year or maybe a year earlier, not several years.

Anna

I have a 07 Accord and know exactly what you are talking about. The maintenance costs are way too high but I want to keep everything "by the book" for the resale value.

What kills me is that I've had 2 tires replaced in the past 8 months (at no cost thanks to the warranty) but still I need the full rotation. 1/2 my tires aren't as worn!?

If you don't think you will resale the car then do whatever works best for you, but if you do plan to resale that documented maintenance history can make a big difference on a Honda.

Just my $0.02...
    -jim

Hey Renee'.

As you know Josh and I have a Honda from Fort Myers Honda as well, and we experienced this same type of maintenance issue's with them as well. The last time we brought the accord to honda they ended telling us we needed over $300 in repairs. We now take our honda to a local repair shop, unless it is necessary to go to honda for warranty purposes.

Cathy
    Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. Mahatma Gandhi

Real Name
    Ricardo

from my experience and based on my experiences only i feel like dealerships find any way to rip you off. i have gone plenty of times to give them the benefit of the doubt to no avail. i have tires currently that i have had on for over 35k and they still are great. they are low profile tires and i paid a pretty penny for them but they have held up well and the noise factor on the freeway is minimal to non-existent. get a second opinion somewhere else like a local mechanic that doesn't sell tires and he can honestly tell you if you need them or not. keep us updated, btw honda's are super reliable from my past experiences with them and are easy to work on. i've stopped taking my car to the dealer btw and i do all the work myself

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast