ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who owns a Honda??

Default Re: Who owns a Honda??

Wanna come work on my car Ric?? HA! I can honestly say that Honda DOES have a good price for their oil changes, but it looks like for any future work I will go somewhere else. I have to make a couple of calls about those tires today and I'll keep you updated what they have to say...
    Renee'
    Today I'm feeling:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO-qS0DvBgE

Quote Originally Posted by FLGirl1977 View Post
    Wanna come work on my car Ric?? HA! I can honestly say that Honda DOES have a good price for their oil changes, but it looks like for any future work I will go somewhere else. I have to make a couple of calls about those tires today and I'll keep you updated what they have to say...
    Best of luck Renee!

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

I have a new honda...Well it was new when I got it, and its two years old. I got the Accord hybrid.. I love it.. Never any trouble with it and I have about 7000 miles on it...LOL...I don't hardly use it...

Renee, 15000 miles is too soon to replace a tire that came in the CRV from the factory. Honda does not install that kind of quality tire in their vehicles .
    If you have abnormal wear (you should be able to tell by visually checking the tire ) I could see a wear problem then .
    I like Michelin tires , they are the Best tire made period .
    Here in Ky a set of Michelin Energy in te CRV size 225/65/17 is priced at $812.50 total (mounted , balanced ,stems ,tax)
    A set of goodyear Integrity (a choice given by my tire supplier as very good) comes to a total of $576.77
    $30.00 for an oil and filter change with all the fluids top off at a dealer using genuine Honda parts is a very good price .
    For servicing , find a good independent mechanic , one with Honda experience that you can trust and you will be OK . Dealers are not the most trusted of all service establishments .
    If you think $100.00 is too high to give your CRV a 15000 mile service , you need to educate yourself some about the costs of maintenance for a car .

And don't forget what my favorite Cuban Lady Judge in TV says
    " Lo Barato Sale Caro "

Roberto.

Quote Originally Posted by alpine View Post
    Renee, 15000 miles is too soon to replace a tire that came in the CRV from the factory. Honda does not install that kind of quality tire in their vehicles .
    If you have abnormal wear (you should be able to tell by visually checking the tire ) I could see a wear problem then .
    I like Michelin tires , they are the Best tire made period .
    Here in Ky a set of Michelin Energy in te CRV size 225/65/17 is priced at $812.50 total (mounted , balanced ,stems ,tax)
    A set of goodyear Integrity (a choice given by my tire supplier as very good) comes to a total of $576.77
    $30.00 for an oil and filter change with all the fluids top off at a dealer using genuine Honda parts is a very good price .
    For servicing , find a good independent mechanic , one with Honda experience that you can trust and you will be OK . Dealers are not the most trusted of all service establishments .
    If you think $100.00 is too high to give your CRV a 15000 mile service , you need to educate yourself some about the costs of maintenance for a car .

And don't forget what my favorite Cuban Lady Judge in TV says
    " Lo Barato Sale Caro "

Roberto.
    Well Roberto, my Honda dealer in town quoted me a price of over $875 to replace my tires with Michelin tires... so seems that they are even more inflated in price here.

The over $100 that I was referring to ONLY included a $30 air filter, $30 oil change and $50 to balance and rotate tires (which I know my husband gets his tires balance and rotated for about $15-20 at an independently owned place here. I just think the price was a little over-priced for balance & rotating... So that actually comes out to be over $110 without tax just for those things.. that's really not that much 'maintenance' for a 15K checkup...

Oh, and if that little wiper-fluid top off is supposed to make me feel special that they do, they can keep it... I'm quite capable of topping that off myself.

Let's put it this way Roberto, I wasn't by far the ONLY unhappy person waiting in that waiting room yesterday.... they were pulling the same... 'oh, now you need this too' crap with other people in there. Suffice it to say either Honda has all of a sudden started making crap, or the dealership is taking people for a ride... and I hardly think it has anything to do with the quality of vehicle.

On another note, I received a call from Bridgestone and apparently they are willing to prorate the tires since they only lasted half the time that they're expected to... so they're willing to go half on a new set for me! That's great news!
    Renee'
    Today I'm feeling:

1 year old tires with 15K miles doesn't need replacing unless there was un-even wear. They didn't really give you a deal on pro-rating it.. Those should be 40K-50K miles tires.

We have an 03 and 04 Acura (basically Honda) and my only complaint with Honda is their brakes. They sucks in general. I am surprise they haven't tell you that you need new brakes rotor yet.

My recommendations with new cars under warranty is this.

Do the recommended fluid change.. Don't go for the 10K or 15K miles maintenance package. Ask what's included in the package and do only the fluid change. Here is an example. I believe the 15K miles includes adjusting the rear brake cables. Well next time you go in for an oil change, tell them that you are experience something not being right with the brakes. They will check it under warranty so now your brakes are checked or even have the rotor turned.

Once you are out of warranty and don't have the extended warranty, stay away from the dealers for service. Each dealerships are independent so you may have a good one local that won't "nickle and dime you" but they are hard to come by.

BTW. Next time you need a new set of tires, try a Coscto if you are a member. No charge for rotate for balance.
    Last edited by DiscusOnly; 03-03-2009 at 11:51 AM.

Registered Member

I drive a 2008 Honda Pilot Touring. Of course, I dont drive much. I have had the car for 10 months and it has about 3000 miles on it (and that includes two 700 mile trips to visit the inlaws). Gotta say that the tires that come on the car should get about 35- 50k depending on conditions, inflation, driving style, etc. If the car was bought new I would push for freebies.

Vlam, that's a good point about the brakes... I was wondering about that myself. I'll have to check out my warranty and try that when I go in... maybe sooner than later. If they're getting worn, I don't want to be out of warranty when they wear out completely! Thanks!

The tire issue isn't resolved just yet.. I will update when it is....
    Renee'
    Today I'm feeling:

Just to be clear.. Brakes are not part of the factory warranty as they are wear and tear items. I got them to fix my brakes twice, while under warranty because there were abnormal wear. Both of my Acura had brake vibration after 20K miles and I got them to fix it. On the 3rd time (@40K miles they refused) and that's when I swapped out Honda brakes and use aftermarket pads and rotor. That's the last time my cars saw the dealerships.

If you are going to use your local dealership, make sure you build a relationship with them. You are more likely going to get unnecessary charges if you are just of the un-informed customer. Ask a lot of questions. They used to freak out when I would bring in TSB letter along with me every time I am in the dealership.

With your tire issue. Tell them to call corporate and open a case and document everything.

Thanks Vlam, what is that letter you were referring to? I appreciate the information and take everything into consideration.
    Renee'
    Today I'm feeling:

Registered Member Peachtree Discus's Avatar

i dont have a honda but i have 2 relevant experiences..

1st - i have friends that have hondas. i think it's the difference between preventive maintenance and corrective maintenance. my friend rambled off a pretty impressive list of repairs @ (i think) 100K miles. when i went to my dealer and asked about "100K scheduled maintenance" he looked at me like i was speaking a foreign language.

2nd - i used to work for a domestic car dealer. i brought my car in for service and after it was already on the lot i spoke with the mechanics about my problem. i kid you not, they told me i should have brought it to the back door because once its in the system its a different story.

like with tires and brakes i decide when wear and tear type issues need to be addressed. people make the comment - "its a honda" - i took that as meaning you will pay for that reliability. none the less, if not luxury our next car will be a honda.
    Wes (FishFlakes)
    "Lifes a game but its not fair, I break the rules so I dont care,
    ...so I keep doin my own thing - walkin tall against the rain"

I will say that a few of cars before I bought my CRV, I had a 1991 Honda Del Sol... and I loved that car!! SOOOO much fun! I ended up selling that car to a friend for dirt cheap back in 2002-03 and he loved it as well. There were some repairs that needed to be made, but he worked on it himself (also the reason why I sold it dirt cheap, with both of us knowing this). Let's put it this way, he got the car working up to par and before he sold it, the mileage on that car was over 250,000!!!

I will give it to Honda that they make a good product... but WHY do they have to ruin it with their service?
    Renee'
    Today I'm feeling:

I will give it to Honda that they make a good product...
    I guess you missed the whole transmission recalled fiasco. Don't get me wrong, Honda product are pretty reliable. It's not corporate honda that you are dealing with when you take your car to the dealership. Like I stated earlier, local honda dealership are run separately by autogroup. They don't make that much money selling new cars..It's all about servicing.

Quote Originally Posted by vlam View Post
    I guess you missed the whole transmission recalled fiasco.
    Guess I did. Before owning my CRV, my prior Honda was a 1991.
    Renee'
    Today I'm feeling:

Registered Member Greg Richardson's Avatar

They don't make that much money selling new cars. It's all about servicing.
    BINGO!
    That is how it is with them all.
    Sure, they like to make money on the sale but the real money is building that relationship with you to ALWAYS take it back to the dealer even after the warranty is over.

There is a difference between making a profit and stealing.

These people are STEALING!
    http://www.atthegateministries.org/index.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12