Default Re: Beneficial bacteria and PH.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Go get a room you guys!

LMAO
    Everything goes back to the sea....Dylan

Registered Member

I've been trying very hard to keep my nose out of this thread because of my short tenure vs the long tenure of some advocating plop and drop fish transfer methods. It's all too easy for people in general, myself included, to essentially represent opinion (contrarian opinion, at that) as fact when we've been successful at anything.

I'm personally very much in favor of following whatever acclimation procedures are recommended by the fish vendor- plop and drop generally isn't included in that scenario... if I disagreed strongly with any vendor's recommendations, I'd use a different vendor. I'd like to point out, as Roxanne did earlier, that the addition of a drop or two of Prime to the bag water will obviously eliminate any of the ammonia poisoning scenarios proposed as theoretical support for non-standard methods... methods contrary to generally accepted practice and the vast body of literature available...

Just one guy's opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by Jhhnn View Post
    I've been trying very hard to keep my nose out of this thread because of my short tenure vs the long tenure of some advocating plop and drop fish transfer methods. It's all too easy for people in general, myself included, to essentially represent opinion (contrarian opinion, at that) as fact when we've been successful at anything.

I'm personally very much in favor of following whatever acclimation procedures are recommended by the fish vendor- plop and drop generally isn't included in that scenario... if I disagreed strongly with any vendor's recommendations, I'd use a different vendor. I'd like to point out, as Roxanne did earlier, that the addition of a drop or two of Prime to the bag water will obviously eliminate any of the ammonia poisoning scenarios proposed as theoretical support for non-standard methods... methods contrary to generally accepted practice and the vast body of literature available...

Just one guy's opinion...
    Tell us how you really feel Jhhnn, get it all out. Feel the weight being pulled off as you spill it all out. Freedom, you are flying, nothing holding you down. Like a feather you float weightlessly. Feels good doesn't it.

Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

...umm..that wasn't me mate....I wouldn't recommend Prime....I'm a dropper and plopper now since I learned on Simply, extended time in that bag is a problem once the bag is open...been through this and have benefited from the Simply wisdom..float the bag to acclimate temps, THEN D & P..the ph in the bag is low, and like Graham said, the water is crap...once the bag opens, and air hits that water the damage is done....the ph ride up is not an issue for them using drop and plop, it's the ph crashing down that hurts them..example, if you just bought them from a LFS and take them straight home, say the ph at the shop is 7 and your tank is 6, well then you wouldn't drop and plop cos the ph in the tank is lower....I'm just repeating what the others have said now...

Let's not forget, it is the experienced hobbyists that came before us, have shared their knowledge freely, to educate us....if they say drop and plop, God Damn it, I will drop and plop....now that I can catch my fish without having a coronry....

Rox

I smell another "Al Edit" coming Rox! LOL!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

...ooops...hope not....was it cos I said "God damn it" ???? lol

LOL! Well, aren't you just slipping right through the cracks! I wonder what else you can get away with? LOL!

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Well Chad, I do seem to get away with saying 'bum' alot.......

LOL!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have very soft water in my area. I use a TDS meter and it is always between 20 and 30 ppm. I don't know if it measure KH or GH or both.

My discus are very skittish and I use baking soda to try to stabilize the PH. Would baking soda raise the KH as well as GH? If it doesn't raise the GH, what is the best way to raise your GH? I used crushed corals in my filter and the PH is a lot more stable but the discus are still very skittish.

Thanks,
    Dan

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...neral+hardness

...where's my boyfriend when you need him lol...bi carb won't raise the gh, ..have you been monitoring your ph with the crushed coral? too much and it will be really high, why don't you start a new thread for help with this one and state all your parameters, tank and source, water change regime etc and we'll sort it out.....

Rox

Quote Originally Posted by Roxanne View Post
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...neral+hardness

...where's my boyfriend when you need him lol...bi carb won't raise the gh, ..have you been monitoring your ph with the crushed coral? too much and it will be really high, why don't you start a new thread for help with this one and state all your parameters, tank and source, water change regime etc and we'll sort it out.....

Rox
    Thanks Rox

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456