ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help..My discus are dying

Registered Member

Default Help..My discus are dying

I have a 300 gallon tank with 12 discus. My temp is 90 ammonia 0 nitrites 0 nitrates 5. It is a fully planted tank. My problem I have had these discus for about 6 months..everything has been fine. I have 3 wild caught tefe green discus, they started to get sick. One of them quit eating and had white poo. I treated the tank with internal/external parasite meds. Then the other 2 started getting sick..Hanging to the back of the tank and not eating. Now they are in bad shape. They are black and dying. They are scratching. Which I thought was a sign of external parasites. I have been putting metro in..Now the rest of my discus are getting the same thing. I am at a loss as to what to do next. I was doing 50% water changes once a week. Now every 2-3 days. I use half RO water and half tap water. Please if you know what to do, let me know before the rest of them die.

Default Re: Help..My discus are dying

If you are using CO2, turn it off......completely! Sick discus cannot have CO2 injection. Trust me!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member

We are not using co2

OK, what are your water perameters?

KH
    GH
    Ph
    Temp

What water conditioner are you using and how are you adding it to the new water?

Do you filter the tap that you use with your RO water (i.e. carbon block)?

You have treated with drugs without success, so I am trying to determine if you have a contamination issue.
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It sounds like external parasites now, which the metro won't help. I would use Quick Cure in this case but I suggest you re-post in the disease section. Can you post a picture?

Registered Member

The tds meter is registering 75 ppm
    The ph is 6.8
    the temp is 90
    We do not filter the tap water.
    We think it is external parasites, but have treated for them. We got the medicine for internal and external parasites...It has metro and prazi in it. It is supposed to treat both. This discus were fine a week ago. I don't know how to post a picture as I am new to the site. But they are bad. No color..laying on the bottom close to death. Their slime coat is off. The smaller discus I have are losing their slime coat also. You can see blotches where they are dull. I am doing another water change as we speak and am going to more medicine in. We got the parasite clear medicine that has metro and prazi in it. It doen't seem to be helping.

I am at a loss as well....

mmorris suggested quick cure. I'm not sure what is in that.

Have there been any other events that may have triggered this? Reaching at this point!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member

I'm no expert but with a TDS of 75 your KH could be low. (under 4) Low kh will cause ph to crash. This is hard on the fish. Don T.

Registered Member

Nothing..I just don't understand it..these fish were perfect a week ago. I have already tried quick cure..nothing. quick cure is for fungus or external parasites. I know that the three wild caught discus I have got it first. Now the rest of them are getting it. It is just heartbreaking when you don't know what to do. 3 of them have been laying on the bottom for 3 days dying.

Registered Member

but the ph is testing 6.8. which is good

Registered Member

I have checked every site on the web..have done everything. I also added salt to the water. I am just at a loss.

Quote Originally Posted by dkratzer1 View Post
    Nothing..I just don't understand it..these fish were perfect a week ago. I have already tried quick cure..nothing. quick cure is for fungus or external parasites. I know that the three wild caught discus I have got it first. Now the rest of them are getting it. It is just heartbreaking when you don't know what to do. 3 of them have been laying on the bottom for 3 days dying.
    Good call. I can't believe that I missed that! Wow!

Yes, your TDS is very low. Has it been this way the whole time? Typical favorable TDS that I have seen is anywhere from 120 to 200 ppm. It's likely that you have a low KH and even lower GH. There are not enough mineerals in your water. You may want to do this water change (about 30%) with tap water.\

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member

The water hardness has always been this.

Real Name
    Mike

How are you medicating a tank that large? Are you sure you are using the correct dosage? Thats a lot of meds for the correct amount in a tank that size. I would move them to a smaller tank (Bare bottom) with clean tap water and medicate. Quick cure is good for external issues first, just make sure you follow the directions carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by White Worm View Post
    How are you medicating a tank that large? Are you sure you are using the correct dosage? Thats a lot of meds for the correct amount in a tank that size. I would move them to a smaller tank (Bare bottom) with clean tap water and medicate. Quick cure is good for external issues first, just make sure you follow the directions carefully.
    I agree with WW, it is surprising that the TDS would affect them now after 6 months of no issues.

Definitely get them into a smaller QT tank that is Barebottom.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast