ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: The best way to get discus to pair up ?

Registered Member

Default The best way to get discus to pair up ?

Hi

Ive a large community tank for my discus which houses 33 discus (7x2x2) and everyone is happy and growing nicely but its a bit too busy in there for any of my discus to pair up.

What i would like to do is try and pair up what i think would make some good combinations and want to know the best way how to from expeirenced breeders on here.

I have 3 2x18x18 tanks and 1 3x2x18 that i can use for trying to pair up, and have been told that just putting a possible male & female probably wont work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Craig

Registered Member Darren's Discus's Avatar

Default Re: The best way to get discus to pair up ?

Hi Craig,
    how old are your fish ?If they are of breeding age then you should be seeing some pairing off?flirting in the tank if so they are the ones you need to put into your breeding tanks or get what you think is a female you want to breed with a put 2 possible males that you would like to breed with her in the tank and see what happens.all the best.33 fish is alot if they are adults.

cheers
    Darren Burgess
    Townsville Queensland Australia
    townsvillerocks@gmail.com

Registered Member

Hi Darren,

90% of my discus are at a age to be sexually mature,Ive some adults and some sub adults,I have seen some flirting but still not sure, ive even seen some females lay eggs by themselfs and have a few in mind i want to try and pair up. Do you think a 2x18x18 is too small to put one female and 2 possible males ( this 2x18x18 has a denitrator ) ?

Also my 7x2x2 has 2 eheim 2028`s and a 1000lt denitrator running on it

Cheers
    Craig

Real Name
    Rod Lewis

I would pick out a female that is full of roe and flirting with the other discus in the tank. Isolate her in a breeding tank until she is well settled (a week or two), then introduce a male which matches her in looks and genetics as much as possible. Keep a close eye on them as fighting initially is not unusual, but only split them if it is really bad. (they are strength testing and rarely will it cause serious damage) Normally within a day or 2 you will know how compatable they are and the likelihood of success you will achieve. If they get on well and the female is shaking then you are on the right path. I've had females shaking at males while the male is still in the plastic bag, and breed a couple of hours later. I almost never let discus pick there own partners, kind of sounds nice and romantic, but has nothing to do with great fry. That comes from careful selection of brood stock and your raising skills.

Have fun

Rod

Registered Member

Thanks Rod

What size tank would you recommend ? I have 2 spare 2x18x18`s atm.

Cheers
    Craig
    Last edited by Scat; 03-07-2009 at 05:27 AM.

Real Name
    Rod Lewis

Hi Craig,

2 x 18 x 18 sounds perfect

Registered Member

Thanks Rod

Am going to give this a go and will give some feedback in a few weeks.

Cheers
    Craig

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I would pick out a female that is full of roe and flirting with the other discus in the tank. Isolate her in a breeding tank until she is well settled (a week or two), then introduce a male which matches her in looks and genetics as much as possible. Keep a close eye on them as fighting initially is not unusual, but only split them if it is really bad. (they are strength testing and rarely will it cause serious damage) Normally within a day or 2 you will know how compatable they are and the likelihood of success you will achieve. If they get on well and the female is shaking then you are on the right path. I've had females shaking at males while the male is still in the plastic bag, and breed a couple of hours later. I almost never let discus pick there own partners, kind of sounds nice and romantic, but has nothing to do with great fry. That comes from careful selection of brood stock and your raising skills.

Have fun

Rod
    Hi Rod

I have a similar issue with Craig, My community has a pair which she laid eggs, he was standing by her while she fanned them. I was considering in moving both of them. I cant confirm that he is old enough.They do quiver and isolate themselves from the others. The eggs tuned white, the water is not correct for eggs either.
    I guess it wouldn't hurt to move them to a breeding tank to you agree,

Thanks for any advice you can give,
    Jim

Registered Member

I have seen discus pair up and lay eggs in very busy tanks with many other discus. If you are not concerned about which two fish pair up then I would leave them in a community setting until you see a pair laying eggs. My experience has been that if you have several discus it is not difficult to get them to pair up and lay eggs, that is the easy part.