ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gel-Tek Ultra Cure PX

Registered Member

Default Re: Gel-Tek Ultra Cure PX

Wow, I guess the word is getting around fast!!!

Sorry about that!

-Julie

Real Name
    Francis

Hi Connie,

Just sharing info.

Cheers
    Francis

its been discontinued..i was told. so there wont be anymore anywhere very soon. hence the stock is outdated. they arent making it anymore.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by poconogal View Post
    WW, the good doctors were out of stock too!

Do you force feed the drops? Is that what you mean by manually feeding? The one Discus I needed them for is the one and only that actually loves to.

I have force fed the drops using a blunt needle and syringe designed for refilling ink cartridges. After drawing a couple of drops of Gel-Tek in I draw a drop of water, invert the needle and purge any air by depressing the plunger. Then I catch the fish and hold them mouth up in my hand with the net. The mouth pops opened when they are held like that. I set the tip of the rounded needle on the back of their mouth and move it slightly. When it's on the sphincter that leads to the gullet the weight of the syringe will push it in. I don't push the needle in, when it is positioned correctly it slides in by it's own weight. Then I squeeze the plunger on the syringe. You can feel the gullet expand slightly.

It sounds crazy but it's easy.

I've had good success with Gel-Tek this way but they never eat it themselves. It's hard to get sick fish to eat new foods, especially orange transluscent globules. I make my own beefheart and have put Gel-Tek into that before freezing it and used it on some wild hypancistrus plecos as a precaution. I don't really know how well that worked.

I find that Prazi-Pro works the best. It's easy to use and despite the fact that fish don't drink and the prazi has to find it's way into the gullet somehow it has always worked for me.

Thanks for posting this force feeding method. It sounds complicated at first reading but then I read it again and it actually does sound easy.
    Connie
    So Many Fish... So Little Tank Space

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by frenchie100 View Post
    Go to amazon.com, I just ordered 3 bottles, and I already got a shipping confirmation.
    Good luck,

-Julie
    ps- by the way, did they tell you why it was being discontinued?
    hey Julie, did you ask for expiration dates? it sounds like most stock of this med might be expired. double check the ex date before administering it

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

Thanks for posting this force feeding method. It sounds complicated at first reading but then I read it again and it actually does sound easy.
    yeah, it's pretty quick. I think the bottle said to feed them the Gel-Tek exclusively twice a day for 3 days. I was feeding this stuff to 9 discus that way for three days, twice a day. Once you get the feel for it it's easy.

I think the concept of Gel-Tek is good, but why not just mix some prazi in with your food? Maybe soak some bloodworms in prazi or add it to your beefheart like I mentioned in this post:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...=34961&page=10

Registered Member

yeah, it's pretty quick once you get the hang of it. I think the bottle said to treat the fish twice a day for three days and I was treating 9 discus.

I think the concept of Gel-Tek is good but why not just soak some bloodworms in prazi, or add it to your beefheart the way I mentioned in this post:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...=34961&page=10

Uh, well, cause I don't feed BH, never really have... I've used the Gel-Tek to soak bits and freeze dried BWs in though.
    Connie

Registered Member

Thanks for your post. I was in the LFS yesterday and snatched up his last bottle of Ultra Cure since I learned they have stopped it.

Good score!
    Connie

Registered Member

I bought some of the Gel-Tek Penicllin and used it on a nice pair of angels a friend gave me which had nasty ulcers. The angels gobbled it up and it worked! The ulcers are clearing up nicely

Wow, that's good to hear. Glad its working so well for your Angels.
    Connie

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123