AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Complete aquarium with 3 Discus for sell (Seattle Area)

Registered Member

Default Complete aquarium with 3 Discus for sell (Seattle Area)

After a few years of enjoying my discus, I have decided to sell up. In the past few years I've enjoyed up to 10 in my tank and got to the point (a year or so back) where I had a female breeding (actually, with three males at the same time, all in concert - that surprised me!). I had free swimmers but never got past that stage, unfortunately.

Anyway, life's other committments have taken over and I need to sell now. I have a 72 gallon bowfront tank (black) with a nice hood, etc and which is very attractive (as the centerpiece of our living room). I currently have three discus in the tank (all adults, although one has been "stunted" all his life - he is probably 3+ years old).

One nice feature (for my own situation, at least) is that I built a "rig" I build whereby I pull a long tube from a tank in the garage to the fish tank and have pumps at each end to handle a water change. The same rig fills up the water tank from the tap (where it ages) before the next water change. No more back breaking lifting of buckets or the like :-)

I have probably paid $1,000 for all the bits an pieces (excluding the discus) and I'm going to write it all up and post on Craigslist. But I'd appreciate any advice on whether it's best to sell the fish first or attempt to sell as a complete unit with the fish, mature filters, etc. I'm thinking that around $650 might be decent price but really don't know how to price this.

Anyway, any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Mark

Registered Member Greg Richardson's Avatar

Default Re: Complete aquarium with 3 Discus for sell (Seattle Area)

Mark. Sell it if you buy the whole set up there is a discount but have the option to buy fish or tank. Otherwise you are limiting your market.
    Those bow fronts are nice tanks.
    http://www.atthegateministries.org/index.html

Registered Member

Yep, that's what I was thinking. When I bought the three fish I paid about $240 (combined, when they were young) and I guess I'd let them go for $125 now as adults. So, maybe something like $600 for the equipment alone, $125 for the fish and $650 for both.

Time to start getting the details together and posting on Craiglist.

Thanks again, Greg.

Mark

Registered Member Greg Richardson's Avatar

You still a member of Seattle Aquarium Society? If so there is some more people to sell to.
    http://www.atthegateministries.org/index.html

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Richardson View Post
    You still a member of Seattle Aquarium Society? If so there is some more people to sell to.
    Hi Greg,

Actually, I never was (I don't even remember hearing about this society). Thanks for the pointer though.

Mark

Registered Member

OK, I finally got my act together and placed all this up for sale on Craigslist.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/fuo/1075557829.html

So, if anyone is interested in this (fish, equipment or both) please let me know. In fact, mention the word "SimplyDiscus" on initial contact and I'll knock $25 off (whether the fish alone, the equipment alone or both) :-)

Thanks.

Mark

Registered Member

The fish have been sold so now I have just the tank and equipment to sell. Here's a new Craigslist listing (the old one expired):

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/fuo/1086824030.html

Thanks.

Mark