AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2nd Annual Hobbyist Challenger contest info...

Exclamation 2nd Annual Hobbyist Challenger contest info...

Hi all,
    I'm working on this years Contest fish and things are looking pretty decent at this point...I'm not ready yet to start taking applications so please don't Pm with any yet...I'll post when its time... hopefully that will be soon.

If all goes well we should have a nice group to work with...It will unfortunately only be open to The USA and border areas of Canada where people can cross over to a fedex station and get their fish.

What I'd like to see is if we can drum up any interest in other countries or even more groups of fish for this area of North America.......Basically what we need is either a breeder or importer that can provide and ship in their area a group of approximated 50-80 1.5-2" fish to 6-7 people.The fish would be donated to the contest but the hobbyists would pay the shipping fees... These would go out to a group of Hobbyist to see who could raise the best fish in that particular group....
    If we have more than one group we'll add an award for best in show among the groups as well.

The contest we did last year was a lot of fun... and proved to be educational as well... and I know this years will be a great one also as it is.....but I would welcome other members in other countries to participate....or others here... Please contact me if you are interested in donating fish by Pm here...

Thanks so much!

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Default Re: 2nd Annual Hobbyist Challenger contest info...

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Hi all,
    I'm working on this years Contest fish and things are looking pretty decent at this point...I'm not ready yet to start taking applications so please don't Pm with any yet...I'll post when its time... hopefully that will be soon.

If all goes well we should have a nice group to work with...It will unfortunately only be open to The USA and border areas of Canada where people can cross over to a fedex station and get their fish.

What I'd like to see is if we can drum up any interest in other countries or even more groups of fish for this area of North America.......Basically what we need is either a breeder or importer that can provide and ship in their area a group of approximated 50-80 1.5-2" fish to 6-7 people.The fish would be donated to the contest but the hobbyists would pay the shipping fees... These would go out to a group of Hobbyist to see who could raise the best fish in that particular group....
    If we have more than one group we'll add an award for best in show among the groups as well.

The contest we did last year was a lot of fun... and proved to be educational as well... and I know this years will be a great one also as it is.....but I would welcome other members in other countries to participate....or others here... Please contact me if you are interested in donating fish by Pm here...

Thanks so much!

-al
    Wow Al, that sounds fantastic, I really wish I could take part in the contest. I am sure it is gonna be an awesome turnout.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Al,

Sounds great! Looking forward to this kicking off!

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks Al,
    What a great way to improve our discus keeping skills. Everyone has something to learn from this. I hope I can be a part of this.

Kenny,

Looking forward to this for sure!

Hi Al... Sounds like a great idea.. Can't wait to see how this new challenge shakes out.. The first was full of useful info for everyone. Thank you for all you do.. Sue

Registered Member Darren's Discus's Avatar

Al,
    count me in i can supply fish for an australian challenge once again if their is enough interest.It was great last year unfortunately we did lose a couple of contestants along the way but i know Joe enjoyed the experience.

cheers
    Darren Burgess
    Townsville Queensland Australia
    townsvillerocks@gmail.com

Darren,
    You are an amazing and generous person my friend! These contests are alot of work to put together and it really makes it worthwhile to me when I see people step up to the plate like you do Mate! Add that to how the hobbyists here enjoy the contests and its just great!

Thanks so much!!

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

i wanna join exciting!!
    benedict

Quote Originally Posted by A1 Aquarium World View Post

Al,
    count me in i can supply fish for an australian challenge once again if their is enough interest.It was great last year unfortunately we did lose a couple of contestants along the way but i know Joe enjoyed the experience.

cheers

Thats awesome Darren, I wish you could get some fish to Japan! I'd jump on that one.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Quote Originally Posted by basshead View Post
    Thats awesome Darren, I wish you could get some fish to Japan! I'd jump on that one.

Eddie
    Eddie,
    I've never even thought of sending fish out of Oz,check what is needed in Japan maybe we can ! would love you to have a bunch of my fish and watch them grow on Eddie's special mix.

cheers
    Darren Burgess

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Darren,
    You are an amazing and generous person my friend! These contests are alot of work to put together and it really makes it worthwhile to me when I see people step up to the plate like you do Mate! Add that to how the hobbyists here enjoy the contests and its just great!

Thanks so much!!

-al
    Al,
    you know what simply means to me and how much i appreciate all you and Ryan do,so anything i am able to do to help is a pleasure.

cheers
    Darren Burgess

What strains are you guys talking for the challenge? Maybe it would be worthwhile to work with the more expensive discus (wilds, penangs, lss, albino) to see what we get out of the fry. Might bring down the prices a bit for those of us that cant afford those.
    Wilds would be great to see how keeping their original characteristics fares in the second generations and on. Of course that would take a larger donation from the people supplying the free discus. Cant wait to see what you guys decide on this time around.

Real Name
    Ricardo

can't wait for the second one. for those interested, start the cycle in your tanks now

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

This is fabulous! I'm truly looking forward to a summer of great reading. It's like H.B.O. has brought back another great series.

Thank you and best of luck in advance to all involved before, during and after.

Robert

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast