ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2nd Annual Hobbyist Challenger contest info...

Registered Member

Default Re: 2nd Annual Hobbyist Challenger contest info...

i wish i can join this contest too.. i am interested! Al, what are your requirements to be able to participate in the said contest? please, i want to join..

Hey Darren, ever generous as usual.

I'd be interested, if you get enough interest for an Oz contest.
    Cheers
    Robyn

Hi all,
    I haven't announced the strain yet for what I will be sending out, but I have a feeling it will be well received by many here...

What strains are you guys talking for the challenge? Maybe it would be worthwhile to work with the more expensive discus (wilds, penangs, lss, albino) to see what we get out of the fry. Might bring down the prices a bit for those of us that cant afford those.
    Wilds would be great to see how keeping their original characteristics fares in the second generations and on. Of course that would take a larger donation from the people supplying the free discus. Cant wait to see what you guys decide on this time around. Yesterday 09:58 PM
    Theres a saying...beggars can't be choosers and I am just happy as can be when someone donates anything to the site like this... Someday down the road maybe we can try to arrange something with wilds... but thats a lot work and money ... Keep in mind thats a lot of fish we would need to fill out any contest groups.

i wish i can join this contest too.. i am interested! Al, what are your requirements to be able to participate in the said contest? please, i want to join.. Today 12:22 AM
    It'll be alot like last time..but I am really going to be a stickler for updates.. People need to plan on many photo updates and keep detailed logs. The ideas here are to grow the best fish and share how you did.... I'll be looking for hobbyists that have a range of experience levels. For me to send out a group to you I will need to be able reach you by fedex in the USA and Canadians need to be able to get to a US fedex station.

When I am ready to start taking applications I will post a message and then those interested can contact me...I'm going to ask for them to tell me why I should pick them and how they will care for the fish.. I'll also ask for links to photos they've posted...as I want to see that they can take pics..(something I should have done last time) so if anyone is interested...better start practice posting pics now!

Darren,
    Thanks again Mate... I'm pretty sure I won't have any trouble with the US group apps... but since I don't know about the Aussie interest... lets start getting members in Australia to contact me... IF YOU ARE IN AUSTRALIA and want to participate let me know ASAP so that I can start building a list.. and as for our Aussie members that see this ...please spread the word to your Aussie friends. We had a small group last time...lets see if we can do it better and bigger this time. Maybe Rod can spread the word in his circle also?

-al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 03-19-2009 at 07:09 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

You are awefully close to me Brew!!! lol
    Where do you want us to post that we can take photos? I imagine a card with our username in the picture so you know its our tank.
    what will be the time length, a year of growth something else in mind?
    I wouldnt call it begging!!!! More like a controlled scientific experiment to see who can spend the most time with their fish!!

You are awefully close to me Brew!!! lol
    Where do you want us to post that we can take photos? I imagine a card with our username in the picture so you know its our tank.
    what will be the time length, a year of growth something else in mind?
    I wouldnt call it begging!!!! More like a controlled scientific experiment to see who can spend the most time with their fish!!
    A year commitment min. Photo gallery is fine..its a good place to share your pics and practice...when its time for the contest, we'll have a dedicated section for it.

BTW...I'm giving all this forewarning to give people a chance to sign up as members now if they have been lurking and are on the fence over this... Hint hint...it will matter when I start looking at Apps..
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member Tropical Haven's Avatar

This is great that we have someone like Al and Darren on this website that is very giving. This should be another exciting challenge for all contestants. Al, if you need someone experienced from the U.S. side I have a empty 70 gallon tank that needs some new occupants.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Tropical Haven View Post
    This is great that we have someone like Al and Darren on this website that is very giving. This should be another exciting challenge for all contestants. Al, if you need someone experienced from the U.S. side I have a empty 70 gallon tank that needs some new occupants.
    Me too! I have two 125's and a 50 that are begging for occupants!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member Peachtree Discus's Avatar

i was wondering when this would be on and poppin again

the people are ready. i have a few 75g available. looks like youll have plenty of folks that would be happy to be participants.
    Wes (FishFlakes)
    "Lifes a game but its not fair, I break the rules so I dont care,
    ...so I keep doin my own thing - walkin tall against the rain"

It sounds like some members of this forum are suffering terribly from ETS (Empty Tank Syndrome). There is a cure!

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    It'll be alot like last time..but I am really going to be a stickler for updates.. People need to plan on many photo updates and keep detailed logs. The ideas here are to grow the best fish and share how you did....
    Now we're talking! Although I enjoyed reading the updates, a lot of times they were few and far between!

How many fish are shipped usually? So tempting to try to get in, but convincing the wife will probably be harder than getting in!

Looking forward in hearing the final details of this next challenge. I am glad it's getting warmer. Just in time to set up the tanks in the garage once again..

Real Name
    Ricardo

will you have a control(s) member this time around Al? will they be anonymous?

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

How many discus would each person have to try and raise?
    That may limit some people from participating.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by prolude006 View Post
    How many discus would each person have to try and raise?
    That may limit some people from participating.
    6-8 i believe. it would limit many. at the very least a 55g is needed

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member Elite Aquaria's Avatar

Al,

Glad to see the Challenge contest again. I wish I could participate. Anyway I know it will be a huge success again and many people will learn from this experience.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast