ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: StartSmart: Cycles Aquariums Instantly w/ PICS

Default StartSmart: Cycles Aquariums Instantly w/ PICS

I recently steralized my tank and its filters for a new shipment of fish, and needed to cycle it back up rapidly. I used to use BioSpira from my LFS, but since that product has been discontinued they suggested a new product. I have had hits and misses with biospira, and it took usually close to a week for it to show its results. I bought Startsmart, which was recommended by my rep, he said it would cycle the tank in 24hours. I gave him a look sideways and suggested if it didnt work i would come after him like the Federal Goverment came after Bernie Madoff. The product was cheaply packaged and did not need refrigeration like BioSpira. Each bottle cost 17.99 and was cheaper than biospira, i took two for my 125 gallon tank. I figured it was a safe gamble to take rather than expose valuable stock to the effects of ammonia and nitrite poisoning over the long term it takes to "naturally" cycle a tank.

I have 2 Eheim (2015, 2017 Classic Cannisters) Filters that i cleaned and setup in a 125 gallon tank. I loaded that tank with 40 fish and fed them heavily for 24 hours. At this point the Ammonia concentration was 1.0 ppm, at which point i pulled the fish out. That was 1am last night at which time i added the StartSmart, i squeezed each bottle into the intake prefilters in the tank. Out of boredom i did a water test this afternoon around 1pm. I was shocked to find nitrite present at .25 ppm and nitrate at 20ppm indicating that nitrification was taking place in 12 hours. I WAS BLOWN AWAY! I added some culls from that same shipment of fish into the tank to keep feeding the new biofilter. I will slowly add more fish as the water chemistry stabalizes. I DO NOT RECOMMEND keeping fish in Ammonia concentrations of 1 ppm, it's just that i am blessed with soft acidic water which lowers the effects of ammonia. I took pictures of the bottle, it has no manufacturer info, just the telephone number of my LFS imprinted on the back. Just goes to show you, you cant judge a book by its cover.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member Elite Aquaria's Avatar

Default Re: StartSmart: Cycles Aquariums Instantly w/ PICS

Great news...Can't wait to see your new fish...

Thanks Dan,

New shipment meaning my Waynes' fish from last month. I am heading up to Canada again in 2 weeks. Literally counting the days on my calendar! This stuff is going to be great cause i can nuke another tank and cycle it in 24 hours!

Real Name
    Francis

Hi Angel,

You are now hooked to Wayne's fish....what are you getting this time?
    Any update photos of your last shipment?...also very excited too

Cheers
    Francis

Nicely done.
    Ashay Sathe
    Always two there are, no more, no less: a master and an apprentice.

Blog: http://vrsathe.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by sriangel View Post
    I recently steralized my tank and its filters for a new shipment of fish, and needed to cycle it back up rapidly. I used to use BioSpira from my LFS, but since that product has been discontinued they suggested a new product. I have had hits and misses with biospira, and it took usually close to a week for it to show its results. I bought Startsmart, which was recommended by my rep, he said it would cycle the tank in 24hours. I gave him a look sideways and suggested if it didnt work i would come after him like the Federal Goverment came after Bernie Madoff. The product was cheaply packaged and did not need refrigeration like BioSpira. Each bottle cost 17.99 and was cheaper than biospira, i took two for my 125 gallon tank. I figured it was a safe gamble to take rather than expose valuable stock to the effects of ammonia and nitrite poisoning over the long term it takes to "naturally" cycle a tank.

I have 2 Eheim (2015, 2017 Classic Cannisters) Filters that i cleaned and setup in a 125 gallon tank. I loaded that tank with 40 fish and fed them heavily for 24 hours. At this point the Ammonia concentration was 1.0 ppm, at which point i pulled the fish out. That was 1am last night at which time i added the StartSmart, i squeezed each bottle into the intake prefilters in the tank. Out of boredom i did a water test this afternoon around 1pm. I was shocked to find nitrite present at .25 ppm and nitrate at 20ppm indicating that nitrification was taking place in 12 hours. I WAS BLOWN AWAY! I added some culls from that same shipment of fish into the tank to keep feeding the new biofilter. I will slowly add more fish as the water chemistry stabalizes. I DO NOT RECOMMEND keeping fish in Ammonia concentrations of 1 ppm, it's just that i am blessed with soft acidic water which lowers the effects of ammonia. I took pictures of the bottle, it has no manufacturer info, just the telephone number of my LFS imprinted on the back. Just goes to show you, you cant judge a book by its cover.
    Looks Promising Angel, what's the status today? No ammonia/nitrite? Did you put all the fish back in the tank?

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

This product was just highly recommended to me by a large Discus breeder and seller. He said it actually works but referred to it as TLC, which is on the label.
    Last edited by poconogal; 03-22-2009 at 04:04 PM.
    Connie
    So Many Fish... So Little Tank Space

This product is not availabe in any fish store near me. Does anybody have this product in their LFS?
    Ashay Sathe
    Always two there are, no more, no less: a master and an apprentice.

Blog: http://vrsathe.blogspot.com/

Biospira is available but it is now very similar to this product. Biospira for salt water is in a purple bottle and fresh water is another color. Same great product but now, not refrigerated.. I still would rather go with cycled sponges and media from another existing cycled tank though.. David

Registered Member

Hi

I just read this thread now and tought to myself I must tell everyone about the product I use here in Belgium. I had bought a new Eheim canister filter and could not get rid of the nitrite in my water even after I put in sponges of another filter that had been running for months. The problem was with the filter itself and I got a substitute from Eheim because something was missing in one of the trays inside the filter. Anyway after I got this new tray I poured in BIODIGEST produced by Prodibio and the day after all of the nitrite was gone. I don't know if you can get that product in America but it does wonders.

Mary

Quote Originally Posted by ashaysathe View Post
    This product is not availabe in any fish store near me. Does anybody have this product in their LFS?
    I called the company that makes it. Got their number by googling TLC aquarium or TLC fish (otherwise lots of TLCs come up, nothing to do with fish products though) and they were very nice and extremely helpful. They took my number and then had a seller in PA call me. He sent me samples of several products and I just paid the shipping. Now I know where to buy it - he has a website: www.poppopsfish.com
    Connie

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    This company say what kind of shelf life this product has....sounds interesting
    I'm going to email the guy who sent me the sample bottles and ask. There is no exp date on the sample. What impressed me was that Tony from Sunrise Tropicals recommended it and uses it!

The guy who phoned me also sent me some "optimizer" stuff to use when adding new fish and after WCs. When I added my two new large Discus to my tank I used it and had no ammonia spike, not even a tiny bit. I also noticed that the fish poo was disappearing from the tank bottom very quickly with only a tiny amount being visible. I have a nearly BB tank, so it seems the poo was being broken down/processed quickly.
    Last edited by poconogal; 05-14-2009 at 10:59 AM.
    Connie

That's freaking awesome. If only our hobby could evolve as fast as technology.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by poconogal View Post
    I called the company that makes it. Got their number by googling TLC aquarium or TLC fish (otherwise lots of TLCs come up, nothing to do with fish products though) and they were very nice and extremely helpful. They took my number and then had a seller in PA call me. He sent me samples of several products and I just paid the shipping. Now I know where to buy it - he has a website: www.poppopsfish.com
    I believe Pops is part of the Aquaria Central forums, great guy and has nice stock. He also on occassion sell breeding products, such as Indian almond leaves. I've also been to Northern where Angel found this product, they were promoting it to most of the customers there that didn't understand what cycling means.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    This company say what kind of shelf life this product has....sounds interesting
    I just spoke with the seller here in PA and he said it has a shelf life of a year, provided its not exposed to extremes in temps.
    Connie

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast