AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can no longer recommend Seachem Stability

Real Name
    Francis

Default Re: Can no longer recommend Seachem Stability

Hi Connie,

I have not tried the Tetra Safe Start.....Setting up a new tank....just brand new everthing like heaters,filters etc....I never use cycled sponges in a new tank...lol.....just plenty of water changes....You don't really need benefitial bacteria in the start.....really You can have the tank running and put in discus and try to feed slowly for the first 2 weeks ...gradually reaching to normal feeding rate or the rate you prefer. By then, the biological filtration will be establishes and working effectively bi itself. If you were to use a filter media or any equipment from another tank or another culture, you might just accidently innoculate disease from the other fishes to your further discus and that disease may not be harmful to the existing because the fishes there already got the immune but introducing it to the new discus might just make the discus sick if not mortality. ....just my 2 cents.

Cheers
    Francis

IN TIME OUT!
    Real Name
    DaviderumnAJ

You might like to try SuperBac Freshwater Nitrifying Bacteria. This is the one that Big Al's uses. I got a gallon of it & seems to work just fine. It doesn't need to be refrigerated & have an expiration date of months not years. By the way, Biospera is now available in non-refrigerated version (not sure if they are the original people), but the guys at Big Al's still prefer to cycle their tanks with SuperBac. By the way, I do fishless cycling.

I had to end up using media from another tank, which is what I wanted to avoid, 100%, because of exactly what you said, Francis. Because of the Stability failure though, ammonia was climbing higher than I'm comfortable with, even though they were not eating alot and I was doing WCs twice a day. For myself, I do need a starter. This time around I am not working, but on unemployment, so I had the time needed to do all the WCs, etc. If I were at work, it would've been extremely hard for me. When I am commuting to work, I have about 2 hours at home (at 8 PM) at night before I go to sleep (at 10 PM) since I get up at 4 a.m. So time is very, very short.
    Last edited by poconogal; 04-14-2009 at 10:39 AM.
    Connie
    So Many Fish... So Little Tank Space

Quote Originally Posted by ApacheDan View Post
    You might like to try SuperBac Freshwater Nitrifying Bacteria. This is the one that Big Al's uses. I got a gallon of it & seems to work just fine. It doesn't need to be refrigerated & have an expiration date of months not years. By the way, Biospera is now available in non-refrigerated version (not sure if they are the original people), but the guys at Big Al's still prefer to cycle their tanks with SuperBac. By the way, I do fishless cycling.
    Thanks for the recommendation, AD! I did fishless when setting up my main tank. This was for a QT though, so there was no time to cycle a tank. I had 4 days before I got my large adults!
    Connie
    So Many Fish... So Little Tank Space

Registered Member

I have tryed several of these "instant cycle" produscts. Biospira is the one that has acual live bacteria. That is the reason it needed to be refridgerated.
    I think the others may nutralize the ammonia and nitrites but I don't think they actualy have any live bacteria in them.
    In this case I think the majority use pure ammonia and do a fishless cycle. Some do massive water changes regularly so there is never enough ammonia to bother the fish. ( possible not enough to get the tank cycled either)
    Once you have fish in an uncycled tank massive wc and chemicals to bind the ammonia and nitrites untill the tank cycles is the cure. All of the above IMO; Don T.

Quote Originally Posted by poconogal View Post
    Eddie, their response to me WAS total BS. The standard CYA answer! From what I've been hearing/reading, I think there are now better products out there. Stability used to be great, but doesn't seem so, anymore...

After someone posted on SD about Start Smart (Smart Start??), made by TLC, and Tony from Sunrise Tropicals highly recommended TLC as being a bio starter that actually worked, I contacted TLC to find a vendor. Shortly thereafter, a vendor in PA called my home and offered to send me free sample bottles of this new product. I just paid $5 for shipping for 4 bottles of products. Of course, now I have no reason to use it, yet, LOL!
    got a number to reach?

Hi Daniella,
    How long between starting the cycle and adding the Superbac?
    Thanks,

Kacey

Registered Member

For what it's worth, I've always used the Petco brand "live" bacteria, and never had a problem with ammonia/nitrites. I kept a live meter for ammonia and tested ammonia/nitrites daily.
    Chris

55g Discus

Registered Member

HI
    I have never heard of TLC, so I went to their website. Products sound great, but wondering why they do not list where to purchase, it they are so good??? I sent them an email, and I will let you what their answer is. Should be interesting don't you think?

Registered Member

I went to the website for TLC. Please read below...This is a heck of a way to run a business!!!!

I went to your website and read about the aquarium water treatments that you offer. I didn't see a link anywhere to purchase. I live in Bristol, TN and I would like to purchase TLC for my aquarium. Who here is a distributer?*
    Thanks Rick

Hi Rick,
    Thank you contacting us about our products.* Please provide us with several zip codes that are near you, or area codes in your area and we will be more than happy to look up stores in your area.
    *We look forward to helping you!
    *Richelle

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12