ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why are my fish's eggs turn white??

Registered Member

Default Why are my fish's eggs turn white??

Hi everybody I got a pair and this is like the 7th time they lay egg and it only take no more than 10 hours and all the eggs turn white. They are in a 20L and the ph is 6.5. I just wanted to know why and what I can do to make it happen.

Default Re: Why are my fish's eggs turn white??

Maybe you have 2 females , or a young male that just has not got it down yet .

Registered Member

Thanks, But do you know how long it will take the male to get it right??

Well have you seen them both pass over eggs? I would give them some time and catch them in the act and check there breeding tubes to see if you have am male and a female. If you have both they male just don't want to or is just lerning.

Later,

Kyle

Registered Member

Here are some pictures.

Registered Member

cant get the pictures up

as Kpotter asked....are you seeing both fish pass over the eggs durring laying or soon there after? if so maybe the male just going through the motions without ferting the eggs because he is young , or its still poss you have two female ,

the Female's breeding tube is much longer/rounder and more easily seen when down . the male's tube is shorter, skinnier and takes a closer look to see '

some pairs can breed at 6-8 months old where other can take longer and up to a year or so to reach adult breeding size and the ( Know How)

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by kpotter2 View Post
    Well have you seen them both pass over eggs? I would give them some time and catch them in the act and check there breeding tubes to see if you have am male and a female. If you have both they male just don't want to or is just lerning.

Later,

Kyle
    Thanks Kyle, yes they will both pass over the eggs. How can i tell by the breeding tubes??

Registered Member Elite Aquaria's Avatar

Females breeding tubes are larger...has a blunt tip...and of course you can see the eggs coming out.

The male has a shorter pointy breeding tube.

Hi Jacky, just a few more questions and maybe we can get some answers for you. First and most important is what is you TDS in the tank? Are there alot of eggs on the cone? If you have 400 to 500 eggs then you most likely have 2 females. What is the tempeture of your tank? The higher the temp the less fertile the males are. Where are the eggs being deposited? Every problem has a solution. Hang in there

Ed

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyDiscus View Post
    Hi Jacky, just a few more questions and maybe we can get some answers for you. First and most important is what is you TDS in the tank? Are there alot of eggs on the cone? If you have 400 to 500 eggs then you most likely have 2 females. What is the tempeture of your tank? The higher the temp the less fertile the males are. Where are the eggs being deposited? Every problem has a solution. Hang in there

Ed
    thanks Ed, my ph is 6.5, tem. is 84F, there is not alot of eggs, I will say maybe 50 to 75. I do see both fish pass over the eggs. Only one lay eggs and the other just pass over them (the eggs). I really dont know about the TDS in my tank. She will lay the eggs on the side of the pot. How can I find out about TDS in my tank? Thanks alot for your time.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by jacky View Post
    thanks Ed, my ph is 6.5, tem. is 84F, there is not alot of eggs, I will say maybe 50 to 75. I do see both fish pass over the eggs. Only one lay eggs and the other just pass over them (the eggs). I really dont know about the TDS in my tank. She will lay the eggs on the side of the pot. How can I find out about TDS in my tank? Thanks alot for your time.
    with a TDS meter probe. also, GH and KH might play a part in their eggs turning white. you need to buy test kits in order to make sure you have optimal water parameters. most people use RO water to breed

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    with a TDS meter probe. also, GH and KH might play a part in their eggs turning white. you need to buy test kits in order to make sure you have optimal water parameters. most people use RO water to breed
    I asked my LFS and they told me I dont need RO water to breed, but they also didn't say anything about TDS. I guess I will go there tomorrow and see if they sell the probe. Dose the meter cost alot?? Thanks

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by jacky View Post
    I asked my LFS and they told me I dont need RO water to breed, but they also didn't say anything about TDS. I guess I will go there tomorrow and see if they sell the probe. Dose the meter cost alot?? Thanks
    there are some HANNA ones that are around $100-120 i think. i'm not sure if the phrase "you get what you pay for" comes into play here as i do not have a TDS meter. the other test kits are not as expensive. i bought the API test kit which consists of ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH. also i bought the gh and kh. these are considered the basics in water parameter testing. it's good to have these on hand. hope that helps a little

p.s. you do not need RO water if you have good water to begin with

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

"TDS and hardness are two different things. TDS stands for total dissolved solids. Hardness is Kh-- carbonate hardness, which is tied to Ph, the acidity level of the water. Lower Ph and low Kh go hand in hand, and that softer water-- Ph below 7.0, ideally between 6.5 and 6.8, and Kh from 4 to 6, (but no lower than 4 or you'll likely get a Ph crash, which means the water chemistry destabilizes and your Ph and Kh both plummet very fast, killing your fish) is what you want for successful egg hatches. TDS has nothing to do with it"

This info was dished out to me from member july.

Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast