ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Fluval FX5 with Hydor inline heaters

Default Fluval FX5 with Hydor inline heaters

Does anyone have any experience with this? I have both an Eheim Pro 2028 and a Fluval FX5 for my 150. It's probably overkill but I'm going to have some large South American cichlids in it.

I'd like to use the Hydor inline heaters on this tank, but the hoses on the Fluval FX5 are 1" and ribbed. Is it possible to hook the Hydors to this? If not, I'm going to be a little angry.

Default Re: Fluval FX5 with Hydor inline heaters

I have the hydor and the size depends on the size of the heater, the hydor 200w has 13mm hose connections and ther 300x has 16mm connections. HTH Kath

PS there is also the Rena heaters but I have never used one and they are an internal tank heater.

Ryan copied this for your to read.
    Hydor ETH 300w
    The Hydor ETH In-Line External Heater is designed for vertical use in most aquarium applications involving water hose of the specified diameter. The ETH must be used in a vertical manner for correct operation. The most common application is for use with a external canister filter. However the ETH is easily adapted for use in almost any situation where heated aquarium water is required, such as with wet/dry sump pumps. The ETH is easily installed by cutting the tubing and connecting the two parts of the tube to each side of the ETH. For reduced maintenance, it is recommended that the ETH be installed within the filter’s output assembly. As most canister filters are not designed to bear weight, it is recommended that the ETH be properly supported by the use of the attached loop to avoid stress on the output assembly.

The ETH is completely safe. There is no danger of damage if the ETH is left running dry for short periods as the ETH will switch itself off in that event. The ETH heats with high efficiency by means of an internal heat pump system that avoids temperature variations. For use in freshwater and marine aquariums. Fits most canister filters such as the Hydor PRIME, Pro Aqua and Fluval External Filters with the use of a short section of tubing to complete the connection.
    2 year replacement warranty
    suitable for upto 300 litres
    16mm hose connections

I bought hose adaptors to connect a pump to hose of a different size at www.marinedepot.com maybe that can be done?
    Connie
    So Many Fish... So Little Tank Space

Thanks for the replies.

Because the Fluval hose is 1" and the Hydor has 5/8" intakes, I'll probably have to buy a separate pump just to run the heater. I can put one on the Eheim without any problem because the hoses are all the same size.

Ryan

Why would a pump run the heater? Just buy a connector, it will be cheaper!
    Kath

Everything I've read online says that it's difficult to adapt the Hydors to a Fluval FX5 hose because it's 1" and corrugated. It would also significantly reduce the flow rate on the filter I'd think.

If anyone has any pictures of a Hydor inline heater being successfully used on the FX5, I'm willing to give it a shot. It seems a lot of people don't recommend it, though.

Registered Member

Ryan,
    I couldn't figure out how to run my Hydor off the FX5 either but since I wanted to beef up the filtratrion [180g tank] I just ran a smaller secondary canister [that I also push CO2 through] and it works fine. [I had a connection to get Cascade canisters at cost for a while so I have a few of those--the one in question is a Cascade 1000---a great filter and the Hydor connects perfectly, size wise for hoses.] Perfect filtration altogether for this tank.
    Best regards,
    Harriett

Harriett,

It's funny -- while Googling modifications for the FX5, I always ran across your posts here at Simply. I was waiting on you to chime in.

I read that you made a spray bar. Does yours hang on the back of the tank at the top and spray downward, or did you make one that anchors to the bottom and sprays toward the surface?

I'm trying to determine now how I'm going to diffuse the flow of water. It sucks that Fluval doesn't make a spray bar for the FX5.

How many Hydors do you use on your 180g? I am also going to be using an Eheim canister and the Hydor will fit on that. I just thought I'd need more than once since it's only a 300w heater and it has to heat 150 gallons.

Ryan

Registered Member

Ryan; I don't know how much work you want to put into using the fluval return but I am sure it can be done. I have a mag 900 pump inside a 120gal and I split it three ways to dump water into two filters and the third pushes water through an in line heater. I use valves to supply enough back pressure to force water into each output and balance the flow. I'm sure you could do the same on the fluval output. Put a 1" T and then a valve after it and then reduce one side for your heater and the other can remain 1" up to your tank. All you need do then is close the valve alittle if you need more water into the heater. Use threaded fittings and you can screw hose barbs of the appropriate size into them. You can use a reducing bushing if you can't find a 1" MIP to 5/8" hose barb at your hardware outlet.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Smith View Post
    Harriett,

It's funny -- while Googling modifications for the FX5, I always ran across your posts here at Simply. I was waiting on you to chime in.

I read that you made a spray bar. Does yours hang on the back of the tank at the top and spray downward, or did you make one that anchors to the bottom and sprays toward the surface?

I'm trying to determine now how I'm going to diffuse the flow of water. It sucks that Fluval doesn't make a spray bar for the FX5.

How many Hydors do you use on your 180g? I am also going to be using an Eheim canister and the Hydor will fit on that. I just thought I'd need more than once since it's only a 300w heater and it has to heat 150 gallons.

Ryan
    Hi, Ryan! How are you?
    Here is what I did: the FX5 outlet hose runs up the outside back wall over the tank edge, and into the rubber hose collar. I have a vertical PVC running from the collar down to the sustrate surface with a horizontal PVC spray bar attached by an elbow. THe spray bar is not attached to the wall or the bottom, it sits nicely on the back wall on the sand. I can shift it forward to vacuum behind it . Water flows straight up the back tank wall and flows across the tank surface a bit to the right of the back center. THe intake is in the back left corner of the tank.
    THe cascade 1000 spray bar is on the right end short wall and is set about 2" below the water surface and the mild current is down the length of the tank. The intake pipe for that is on the back wall a bit to the left of the center.

Some things I fiddled with, to get the FX5 spray bar right, in the beginning: originally it was a 2 arm bar with a tee in the middle so the back wall had about 4' of spray bar running the length of it. It was too much length to move the water current sufficiently and so I took off one arm and capped it. I also ended up cutting off a little bit of the remaining spray bar a couple holes at a time until I had the right amount of water moving up that back wall and over the water surface--My holes are about 1/8" in diam and I would do them a little smaller next time for more pressure. I have either screw fit or dry pressed all pieces of the spray bar assembly together so Ican easily take it apart to clean. THe botias swim upside down in the current all day--pretty humorous to watch.

The 300w Hydor is plugged into the cascade, as is the CO2.

I have an old titanium heater at the other end of the tank that I am keeping an eye on that I will shut down ina few weeks for the summer--in the fall I need to replace that titanium with another inline--so I will watch to see how you solve plugging in 2 of them!!!

Hope this is articulate enough but glad to clarify if you need that.

Best regards to you,
    Harriett
    Last edited by Harriett; 04-01-2009 at 02:26 PM.