ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Using Potassium Permanganate aka PP

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: Using Potassium Permanganate aka PP

Lots of good info here on treating fish for external probs with PP. I am assuming it would be an effect way to "clean" plants prior to introducing them to a discus display but I have not found any specific info regarding plant dips. I would like to secure some anubias & java fern varieties to the wood pieces in my display. Would a 2-4ppm dip for 15 minutes be sufficient to QT the plants before introducing them? Thx

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Lots of good info here on treating fish for external probs with PP. I am assuming it would be an effect way to "clean" plants prior to introducing them to a discus display but I have not found any specific info regarding plant dips. I would like to secure some anubias & java fern varieties to the wood pieces in my display. Would a 2-4ppm dip for 15 minutes be sufficient to QT the plants before introducing them? Thx
    I have spent hours and hours searching for a valid answer on this question after my discus got some parasitic infection (propably Velvet / Oodinum )from a damned plant Daniel . I ve found Very few if any valid info on this subject on the whole net.

The most reliable answer I got from Koi forums (they are BTW , always the cutting edge when it comes to fish science , mainly due to the very high prices involved in Koi keeping hobby ) were to dip the plants in a 25 ppm solution for more than 10 hours Maintaining that same dose by redosing if PP gets brown .
    Why do we need the solution that strong for that long ? To hopfully kill the Nuke -resistant cysts of parasitic protozoas.

You can also use bleach/water solution in 1/19 ratio and dip the plants for 2 minutes for the same purpose instead of PP .
    Last edited by Filip; 10-08-2018 at 06:26 PM.

Registered Member

i use 1 pill 100mg on bucket 10L for 15-20min and have clean plants

Real Name
    Daniel

Thank you Filip & Tuterosso!
    Filip you mentioned in the other post you made that both treatments are harsh on the plants. Can you elaborate in what way? Does it scorch the leaves and roots? Is the damage permanent? Thanks mate
    Last edited by danotaylor; 10-09-2018 at 02:30 AM.

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Thank you Filip & Tuterosso!
    Filip you mentioned in the other post you made that both treatments are harsh on the plants. Can you elaborate in what way? Does it scorch the leaves and roots? Is the damage permanent? Thanks mate
    It burns palnt leaves and roots and you can expect partial defoliage in the initial period of planting. But the plant recovers quickly and starts shooting new leaves and roots again if conditions are optimal .
    Some of the more delicate and weaker plants may completely die off , but luckily we rarely use those for our discus tanks .

Real Name
    Daniel

Ok great, cheers mate 🇦🇺

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345