ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Using Potassium Permanganate aka PP

Registered Member

Default Re: Using Potassium Permanganate aka PP

Thanks nc0gnet0 for posting those directions for creating your stock solution.

If you do the math, the formular is exactly that of the one posted by Paul at BIDKA. What I find is that making a stock solution of 1000ml might be too much for some folks. I do like the teaspoon approach, as I do not own a gram scale myself.

Building upon that, one could make a stock solution however they please, as long as they follow the formula.

For example, if I wanted a stock solution of 1ml/gallon of 2ppm, I would do the following:

1000ml/75grams = 2 drops per gallon
    10000ml/75grams = 20(1ml) drops per gallon
    133.3ml/1gram = 1ml per gallon

1/4 teaspoon = 1.75grams of PP
    233.3ml/(1/4 teaspoon) = stock stock solution for 1ml/gallon of 2ppm PP

All you need for this stock solution is a 233ml bottle, and a 1/4 teaspoon measuring device and you're done. If you have a glass CokaCola bottle, it's 237ml, and the 1/4teaspoon can be found in anywhere baking goods are found.

Hope this helps.

Shawn

I know this may be a bit off topic but there appears to be a genuine concern when treating with PP for the correct dosage. To do that you have to know how much actual water is in your tank. These site links help to do just that. I apologize if these have been posted before or are repeats of other discussions.

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article35.html

http://www.aquariumfish.net/informat...arithmetic.htm

http://reef.diesyst.com/volcalc/volcalc.html

Here is another one that I did not see. Sorry if it's a repeat.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa027

Has anyone else noticed that is the active ingredient in Jungle's Water Clearer drops? I was thinking of using some of it but now I don't know that that would be a good idea? Is the amount in the Water Clarifier much smaller than as a treatment for parasites? Has anyone tried using it?

150Gl Discus Tank ( 14 discus 4-6 inch, 4 2inch)
    55Gl Angel Tank
    My Anti Drug

Registered Member

Guys just want to know if anyone has had happen to them what happened to me.........I made the PP mix up as per the above instructions plus rang Rod Lewis (he must be sick of me calling him) who advised me to treat the fish three times.
    I treated my Discus with PP the first time and they were fine.
    I treated them 3 days later with Trichlorfon and they were fine
    3 days later treated them with PP again and after 3.5 hours in the water all the bigger Discus started laying over on their sides, i put the Hydrogen Peroxide in 1ml/30 litres which oxidised all the PP but the fish looked even worse so eventually i changed the whole water and after 5-10 minutes my Discus came back good, I rang Rod and told him what happened and he said he has never heard of this happening before, it was really close im really lucky i didnt lose my Penang Eruptions.

Thanks
    Scotty

Thanks for your Info...

Simply yet Gorgerous, Let Discuss Our Discus

Drugs have half life's in water that depending on drug, can take months to completely degrade. This is quite true with antibiotics,etc..There are also a good handful of chemicals that are NOT safe to mix with PP. So, without realizing it, the above info is a case of cross medication, which is never a good thing to enter into...
    Properly administered, PP is a valuable tool in the fish husbandry industry..JMO, Gary
    The meek shall inherit the earth. The oceans are for the brave.

Real Name
    Francis

nice write up Gary.......perhaps have a thread .............two chemicals should not use at same time......got this book .......handbook of drugs and chemicals used in the treatment of fish diseases by Nelson Herwig and worth getting it.......mentioned some drugs/chemicals should not use together.

Quote Originally Posted by TURQ64 View Post
    Drugs have half life's in water that depending on drug, can take months to completely degrade. This is quite true with antibiotics,etc..There are also a good handful of chemicals that are NOT safe to mix with PP. So, without realizing it, the above info is a case of cross medication, which is never a good thing to enter into...
    Properly administered, PP is a valuable tool in the fish husbandry industry..JMO, Gary
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Hey guys I wanted to run this by you because this is my first time using pp. I have my pp and gram scale coming this week and from what I understand the dosage is .0038 x volume of aquarium ( ie. 45 gallon) x 2= 2ppm right? Now that is supposed to last 4 hrs but if it runs brown in one hr dose an additional 2 ppm and if it runs out in 1 hr again then this is where I have my main question some people say add 2ppm more and others say 6ppm will damage the gills I am treating for flukes BTW. And then if it runs out again then repeat in 2 days after fish recover? Any and all input is welcome please!

I work for sears and anyone needing PP can achieve it through us as a Source, just an FYI. We stock it for the cleaning of iron removers but I buy it from us simply to clean out my holding barrells. I dont know that I ever intend to use PP as a treatment simply because of its potency. I understand the desire to as it is a VERY effective anti-bacterial but I believe if a fish was diagnosed early on that some other less invasive drugs can possibly be used instead. That said, if anyone needs it let me know, I can send it to your local Sears Store or possibly ship it to you for free as that is possible for me.

Thanks! Drew

Found out today that our current stock of straight PP is clearanced!! That means it is 19.97 for a 5lb jar of it, its usually around triple that. Anyone interested should let me or your local Sears know immediately. I will see if it is still orderable tomorrow and get back to any interested.

A 5 lb jar of PP will last a life time! LOL Actually, 8 life times. Hahahha
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

True story, but its incredibly cheap for how much your getting

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bigspearo View Post
    Guys just want to know if anyone has had happen to them what happened to me.........I made the PP mix up as per the above instructions plus rang Rod Lewis (he must be sick of me calling him) who advised me to treat the fish three times.
    I treated my Discus with PP the first time and they were fine.
    I treated them 3 days later with Trichlorfon and they were fine
    3 days later treated them with PP again and after 3.5 hours in the water all the bigger Discus started laying over on their sides, i put the Hydrogen Peroxide in 1ml/30 litres which oxidised all the PP but the fish looked even worse so eventually i changed the whole water and after 5-10 minutes my Discus came back good, I rang Rod and told him what happened and he said he has never heard of this happening before, it was really close im really lucky i didnt lose my Penang Eruptions.

Thanks
    Scotty
    So when/if you use PP, what are the signs to watch for in the fish? I've been reading all these threads and they just basically say "watch for signs of stress" What should you be looking for? At what point would you add H2O2? I mean do you wait til they lay on their sides? And if so, how long would you let them lay there?
    We all judge, it's what we do with our judgements that make us who we are.
    Margaret

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Teshi View Post
    So when/if you use PP, what are the signs to watch for in the fish? I've been reading all these threads and they just basically say "watch for signs of stress" What should you be looking for? At what point would you add H2O2? I mean do you wait til they lay on their sides? And if so, how long would you let them lay there?
    I know this an older thread but have been searching for this info without any luck...... Sooo if anyone could tell me any more signs to watch for while using PP other then fish laying on their sides it would be appreciated. I am not about to use this treatment but would like to know just incase I need to someday I know what i will be watching for. Also at out local Menards I found the powdered PP for under $30 for around 3lbs. Thats seems like a lot to buy for my personal needs, is there other places that sell smaller quantities?
    ~Ben

Discus and Planted tank obsessed.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast