ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: how can i paint the bottom of glass tank

Default Re: how can i paint the bottom of glass tank

Quote Originally Posted by Disgirl View Post
    Thanks Eddie and Martha! That is exactly what I will do. Both your tanks and fish are beautiful. I just finished scraping black paint off the bottom of my tank, lying on my back inside the cabinet. It was a hard, dirty job. The fish were terrified but calmed down when I turned off their light. New paint tomorrow! And I expect to see very colorful fish!
    Barbara
    No problem, and best of luck with the painting. One thing you will notice in Martha's picture is that the bottom is a light color and the back is black and the fish looks bright and colorful. The bottom is more important than the back in affecting the color of the fish.

Take care,

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

I just finished repainting the bottom a light tan, the color of sand. I used a spray on. Within SECONDS the discus changed from a darker color with stripes showing to light colors with almost no stripes!! I am amazed at how fast it happened. You all sure are correct about the color of the bottom (paint or sand) being so important. And poo shows up so much better so I can siphon it out. Thank you again for some very useful info here!!
    Barbara

So where are the pics????
    Connie
    So Many Fish... So Little Tank Space

Real Name
    chandan sarkar

poconogal:

thanks for the tip about not using black.

chandan

Quote Originally Posted by poconogal View Post
    So where are the pics????
    Connie, I have never posted a pic before. But I do have a digital camera! Is there a thread somewhere on SD you could direct me to so I can learn how?
    Barbara

Registered Member

After reading this thread yesterday, I decided to paint the back (Aqua Blue)and bottom (very light sand color) of a 75 gallon tank I picked up off Craiglist this weekend. Now I am wondering why I had never done this to my other tanks. It looks great and it's easy.

All I need to do now is get some fish in it!!!

Thanks
    Jerry

I just finished repainting the bottom a light tan, the color of sand. I used a spray on. Within SECONDS the discus changed from a darker color with stripes showing to light colors with almost no stripes!! I am amazed at how fast it happened. You all sure are correct about the color of the bottom (paint or sand) being so important. And poo shows up so much better so I can siphon it out. Thank you again for some very useful info here!!
    Barbara
    Yup, makes a huge difference. Glad you are enjoying your fish and tank more.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

Connie, I have never posted a pic before. But I do have a digital camera! Is there a thread somewhere on SD you could direct me to so I can learn how?
    Barbara
    Sending you a PM.
    Connie

I've never used a spray can, but to make the paint stick to glass, I've always used a special glass primer. Never tried to do it without the primer, so not positive you need it.

I'm experimenting with some QT's at the moment. For the bottom, I mixed 50% Wellbond (glue) with 50% water. Then mixed some pool filter sand into the Wellbond mixture & spread the mixture on the exterior glass bottom of the tank. When it dried, with a small sponge applicator, I've dabbed sand coloured paint around the gaps in between the sand. Next step is that I will add a final sealing coat of 50% Wellbond & 50% water.

I tried the textured paint, but for me, the texture only showed up on the exterior of the tank. When looking down into the tank, the paint is smooth. Definitely better than plain BB, because it is the colour of sand, but the texture didn't show through at all.
    Cheers
    Robyn

Talking Re: how can i paint the bottom of glass tank

Quote Originally Posted by TankWatcher View Post
    I've never used a spray can, but to make the paint stick to glass, I've always used a special glass primer. Never tried to do it without the primer, so not positive you need it.

I'm experimenting with some QT's at the moment. For the bottom, I mixed 50% Wellbond (glue) with 50% water. Then mixed some pool filter sand into the Wellbond mixture & spread the mixture on the exterior glass bottom of the tank. When it dried, with a small sponge applicator, I've dabbed sand coloured paint around the gaps in between the sand. Next step is that I will add a final sealing coat of 50% Wellbond & 50% water.

I tried the textured paint, but for me, the texture only showed up on the exterior of the tank. When looking down into the tank, the paint is smooth. Definitely better than plain BB, because it is the colour of sand, but the texture didn't show through at all.
    Yeah, I spray paint all my tanks, always have. I have never used primer and it's using spray paint is fast and clean. Love all the different colors to choose from too. Wait til you see my next tank. LOL

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

Registered Member jeff@zina.com's Avatar

FWIW, I've always painted the bottoms black, using cheap spray paint (currently 99 cents a can, just did a new 20 high yesterday). No prep, just flip it upside down on the lawn and spray. Took about five light coats, ten minutes between them.

I have tanks that were painted this same way two decades ago that are still fine. The bottom glass is recessed so it never (well, rarely) gets scraped or nicked. If you have to remove it, a scraper removes it easily.

I've seen no real difference between black and any other color (I've used a tan and a deep blue) but I have to admit I have never really tested it.

Jeff

Real Name
    chandan sarkar

never realized such a mundane topic would stir such interest. lol

Speaking just from my personal experience: after 3 weeks with a black painted bottom glass and discus looking dark, with stripes showing, in just a few minutes after painting it sand colored they look like different fish! No longer dark or stripey, all turq, red, gold, green etc. instead. I am confident that the substrate color makes a huge difference. Good topic and glad it came up!
    Barbara

Speaking just from my personal experience: after 3 weeks with a black painted bottom glass and discus looking dark, with stripes showing, in just a few minutes after painting it sand colored they look like different fish! No longer dark or stripey, all turq, red, gold, green etc. instead. I am confident that the substrate color makes a huge difference. Good topic and glad it came up!
    Barbara
    That's right Barbara, it's been proven. Some people just never know if they never come out of the darkside. LOL

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

Barbara
    Yep, my BD was navy blue when I had a black bottom. When I changed to very light blue, my BD instantly lightened to the most beautiful blue color, it was amazing, it was so fast... all of my other Discus too were much darker and instantly lightened as well.
    Connie

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast